Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

• 16-04-2020 1:29pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

New thread started.

So, whenever the new season starts, do we expect an improvement? Surely with Kane and Son back, we will at least be better then the ****e we've seen the last few games?

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Glebee

I wonder will be as crap again when things start up as we were when it stopped?? :) Cant be much worse I suppose. Cant see any games being played in Premier League for a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Kiith wrote: »
    New thread started.

So, whenever the new season starts, do we expect an improvement? Surely with Kane and Son back, we will at least be better then the ****e we've seen the last few games?

I'm afraid not - all roads lead to Levy, and he's not in it for the football sadly

I'd be surprised if we see Kane in a Spurs shirt again

860 odd hospital deaths in uk today relating to covid 19 not including nursing homes... they have other issues over there greater than premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'm afraid not - all roads lead to Levy, and he's not in it for the football sadly

I'd be surprised if we see Kane in a Spurs shirt again

I wouldn’t

Tottenham ask Pochettino to take pay cut.

Jesus, ENIC have a pathological desire to accumulate money.

• Advertisement

lol, im sure he will tell them to fcuk off.

they have no shame
    wealth obsessed leeches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Why would poch be off limits if players are being pressured to take a pay cut. He can say no, but I don’t think it’s unfair that he is being asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A link to the new thread would have been nice!

I was wondering why there was no activity on the last one !!

Dean Richards 3rd year anniversary today.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Pair of clowns.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

greenspurs wrote:

One of the few quality centre backs to play for the club at that time. Such a shame he never managed that elusive International cap before health issues brought his career to an end 5 years too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

greenspurs wrote: »
    A link to the new thread would have been nice!

I was wondering why there was no activity on the last one !!

No, he died on 26-Feb-2011.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Jaysus I’m watching inter vs spurs on rte from the HR era and I notice nothing ever changes.
    3-0 down after 20 mins and as I write this 4-0 by eto.
    How many times do we start off games at such a slow pace!

Stunning goal from bale 4-1

Alan Hutton and Assou ekkotto full backs. Wow.

Another stunner from bale. 4-2.

And bale gets the hat trick assist from Lennon.

He was a monster that season, such a joy just watching him run. I remember in the return game against Inter he tore them apart again. Good times.

Ormus wrote: »
    He was a monster that season, such a joy just watching him run. I remember in the return game against Inter he tore them apart again. Good times.

yep brilliant.
    Poor auld maicon didn't know what hit him in the return leg!

• Advertisement

One of the few quality centre backs to play for the club at that time. Such a shame he never managed that elusive International cap before health issues brought his career to an end 5 years too soon.

rip to the fella, but on the field he didnt really perform for us as i recall. he was a monster in the air before joining us and seemed to lose a lot of aerial ball when in our shirt.

https://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/category/spurs-retro-range

My god! There are some beautiful jerseys in there !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

https://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/category/spurs-retro-range

My god! There are some beautiful jerseys in there !

That 1961 away jersey is absolutely gorgeous. Might have to get it

1991 FA cup final please. 1994 in second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Glebee wrote: »
    1991 FA cup final please. 1994 in second place.

You're right but I think it sort of takes from it that Umbro isn't on the shirts unlike the hummel ones. Really like the other 1991 shirt.

Good man Daniel....

"Tottenham have overtaken Man City to become the most valuable club in the Premier League, according to a recent study.
    Despite not winning a trophy since 2008, Spurs did reach the Champions League final for the first time in their history last season, and have achieved four successive top four finishes domestically.
    Football finance experts at University of Liverpool Management School found that Spurs' low wage budget and improved on-field fortunes have helped increase their value.
    That is in addition to the opening of their new £1billion stadium, which draws in significant commercial income.
    Kieran Maguire, who is part of the University’s Centre for Sports Business Group, said: "Spurs are top of the valuation table because in 2018/19 they delivered a Champions League final and a top four Premier League finish on a wage budget that was £100-150 million lower than the rest of the 'Big Six'.
    "As such they made more profits, and this was reflected in the final valuation number."
    There were no strangers among the top six with regards to valuation, with Man Utd coming third ahead of Liverpool, Arsenal, then Chelsea.
    Wolves were the highest ranked club outside of the Premier League's elite in seventh.
    Over the course of the 2018/19 campaign Tottenham's income grew by 21 per cent to £461million.
    Daniel Levy runs a tight ship at Tottenham with
    only 39 per cent of that total income taken up by player wages, compared with top four rivals Leicester, who splash out 84 per cent on wages in comparison.
    Daniel Levy's frugality in the transfer market has also paid off, with Tottenham recording the second lowest net spend on transfers in the division at £22m, behind only Watford (£21m).
    In contrast, those competing with Spurs at the top end of the table forked out huge sums.
    Chelsea's net transfer spend amounted to £290m, in a season where they signed Jorginho (£50m), Kepa Arrizabalaga (£70m) and completed a deal for Christian Pulisic (£57m).
    Liverpool were following close behind with a net outlay of £223m, ahead of Man Utd (£135m) and Man City (£87m)"
    (Daily Mirror)

Good man Daniel....

"Tottenham have overtaken Man City to become the most valuable club in the Premier League, according to a recent study.
    Despite not winning a trophy since 2008, Spurs did reach the Champions League final for the first time in their history last season, and have achieved four successive top four finishes domestically.
    Football finance experts at University of Liverpool Management School found that Spurs' low wage budget and improved on-field fortunes have helped increase their value.
    That is in addition to the opening of their new £1billion stadium, which draws in significant commercial income.
    Kieran Maguire, who is part of the University’s Centre for Sports Business Group, said: "Spurs are top of the valuation table because in 2018/19 they delivered a Champions League final and a top four Premier League finish on a wage budget that was £100-150 million lower than the rest of the 'Big Six'.
    "As such they made more profits, and this was reflected in the final valuation number."
    There were no strangers among the top six with regards to valuation, with Man Utd coming third ahead of Liverpool, Arsenal, then Chelsea.
    Wolves were the highest ranked club outside of the Premier League's elite in seventh.
    Over the course of the 2018/19 campaign Tottenham's income grew by 21 per cent to £461million.
    only 39 per cent of that total income taken up by player wages, compared with top four rivals Leicester, who splash out 84 per cent on wages in comparison.
    Daniel Levy's frugality in the transfer market has also paid off, with Tottenham recording the second lowest net spend on transfers in the division at £22m, behind only Watford (£21m).
    In contrast, those competing with Spurs at the top end of the table forked out huge sums.
    Chelsea's net transfer spend amounted to £290m, in a season where they signed Jorginho (£50m), Kepa Arrizabalaga (£70m) and completed a deal for Christian Pulisic (£57m).
    Liverpool were following close behind with a net outlay of £223m, ahead of Man Utd (£135m) and Man City (£87m)"
    (Daily Mirror)

Jesus, how the f**k do Leicester sustain that? While we're very low, I think around 55%-65% is the most common sort of ratio for player wages to turnover.

Have you seen the interview with Poch on BT sports?

The love he has for our club is unreal. I thought I had gotten over him leaving ….

It wont be replicated by any manager, especially not our present one.

Good man Daniel....

(Daily Mirror)

ENIC playing a blinder (for themselves)

• Advertisement

Have you seen the interview with Poch on BT sports?

The love he has for our club is unreal. I thought I had gotten over him leaving ….

It wont be replicated by any manager, especially not our present one.

He f**ked me off no end towards the end of his reign but even then I could accept that he was reacting (very badly) to the bad hand he was dealt.

But f**k me, I love him. He's still the manager to me any time I see him. Mourinho deserves a fair shot at this and hopefully he brings success but I'd love it if Poch came back when Jose's reign runs its course. I welled up a bit watching that interview. Poch is one of us.

Maybe this will be a Bobby Ewing moment and I'll wake up one morning and realise that our collapse under Poch, the appointment of Mourinho and the coronavirus were just one long, bad dream as I reach for my DVD of our Champions League victory over Liverpool.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He f**ked me off no end towards the end of his reign but even then I could accept that he was reacting (very badly) to the bad hand he was dealt.

But f**k me, I love him. He's still the manager to me any time I see him. Mourinho deserves a fair shot at this and hopefully he brings success but I'd love it if Poch came back when Jose's reign runs its course. I welled up a bit watching that interview. Poch is one of us.

Maybe this will be a Bobby Ewing moment and I'll wake up one morning and realise that our collapse under Poch, the appointment of Mourinho and the coronavirus were just one long, bad dream as I reach for my DVD of our Champions League victory over Liverpool.

Yes, I think so too.

In my opinion, he just gave up. He thought he was fighting a battle that he wasn't going to win with Levy.
    Enic didn't/don't share his passion for the club to actually win a trophy/title.

Its been well thrashed out on here before , but in my opinion, I blame Enic for Poch ultimately failing and for THFCs failures over the past 20 years.

To Dare is Too Dear.

Yes, I think so too.

In my opinion, he just gave up. He thought he was fighting a battle that he wasn't going to win with Levy.
    Enic didn't/don't share his passion for the club to actually win a trophy/title.

Its been well thrashed out on here before , but in my opinion, I blame Enic for Poch ultimately failing and for THFCs failures over the past 20 years.

To Dare is Too Dear.

I'll sit on the fence a bit here in that I agree and disagree with you. I think Poch, naturally for any manager, wanted to see some reward for the incredible things he'd done at the club now that we were in the new stadium. He actually thought longer term that most managers but he'd done the hard part and felt he should be rewarded for it and, as you say, almost gave up because it wasn't happening for him. I think he behaved badly but ENIC created the conditions that caused the resentment and they should take most of the responsibility for the souring of the realtionship.

On the flip side, I think Levy always has an eye on the longer term. In my view, he does want to win things but has different ideas about how to do that to most people. While the appointment of Mourinho would seem to contradict that opinion, I think Levy reckons that Jose can bring trophies and short-term onfield success with sustainable spending while Levy continues to grow the club off the pitch. It's a big gamble given Mourinho's history.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I'll sit on the fence a bit here in that I agree and disagree with you. I think Poch, naturally for any manager, wanted to see some reward for the incredible things he'd done at the club now that we were in the new stadium. He actually thought longer term that most managers but he'd done the hard part and felt he should be rewarded for it and, as you say, almost gave up because it wasn't happening for him. I think he behaved badly but ENIC created the conditions that caused the resentment and they should take most of the responsibility for the souring of the realtionship.

On the flip side, I think Levy always has an eye on the longer term. In my view, he does want to win things but has different ideas about how to do that to most people. While the appointment of Mourinho would seem to contradict that opinion, I think Levy reckons that Jose can bring trophies and short-term onfield success with sustainable spending while Levy continues to grow the club off the pitch. It's a big gamble given Mourinho's history.

Poch called for change in 2018 - "painful rebuild" - the owners ignored that and created the situation with Rose, Eriksen,Toby and Vertonghen……

Levy and Mourinho will not work.... nope, not a chance, snowballs chance ….. etc etc…
    Jose is a chequebook manager, Levy wont write cheques …….
    Marriage made in hell.....and we will suffer.

Its been done to death on here already, but at least someone is using the thread :P

Poch was such a good coach that we were able to buy decent players and turn them into star players. The problem was that we couldn’t afford to pay them star wages, so it was difficult to get them to sign new contracts.

In my opinion the mistake was in not getting rid of the players who were dithering over signing. I honestly don’t believe Eriksen intentionally dropped his level of effort, but I do think it’s a lot more difficult to play with intensity when things are up in the air.

Anyone who thinks things went sour cos Levy didn’t give Poch enough money to spend just doesn’t know Poch. I’ve just finished reading his book and he talks several times about Levy offering to buy players for him and him saying nah I’d prefer to just work with what I have.

Ormus wrote: »
    Poch was such a good coach that we were able to buy decent players and turn them into star players. The problem was that we couldn’t afford to pay them star wages, so it was difficult to get them to sign new contracts.

In my opinion the mistake was in not getting rid of the players who were dithering over signing. I honestly don’t believe Eriksen intentionally dropped his level of effort, but I do think it’s a lot more difficult to play with intensity when things are up in the air.

Anyone who thinks things went sour cos Levy didn’t give Poch enough money to spend just doesn’t know Poch. I’ve just finished reading his book and he talks several times about Levy offering to buy players for him and him saying nah I’d prefer to just work with what I have.

The book from 2016-17 ?

• Advertisement

21 years ago today .

Ledley King made his debut Vs Liverpool.

10 years ago today , Crouchie scored that goal to get us into the Champs Lge ….

10 years !!! wow ...

Media report suggest Poch is edging closer to Newcastle job if takeover goes through (Probally a load of cobblers) If it does happen ill be sad to see him with another PL team.:(

If anyone is getting withdrawal symptoms from Spurs related 'stuff'...

The "last word on spurs" podcast with Ricky Sacks is very good.
    K
    Lots of ex players on it..

Happy "Lucas Moura " day …..

1 year on from probably the most ecstatic I have ever been in the last minute of a game …..

(even the 99 Worthington cup Final.)

• Advertisement

I watched the Ajax game on Bt again last night.

Jeez , that was some night.
    The emotion at the end, watching Poch bawling, hearing JJ bawling, Fletch losing it ….. Hod the God losing it in the studio ...

Its a travesty we couldn't finish it off and win it....

Jeez , that was some night.
    The emotion at the end, watching Poch bawling, hearing JJ bawling, Fletch losing it ….. Hod the God losing it in the studio ...

Its a travesty we couldn't finish it off and win it....

What ever about not winning its the fact we are in such a disasterous position at the moment that bugs me. We were a shambles before the lockdown. I dont think the PL will restart but Boris could approve anything I guess. maybe the break has given players and staff a chance to refocus and we should have a full squad. Although knowing Spurs players p[robally got injured during lockdown training.

greenspurs wrote:

Love watching that game and it's highlights but it's a bitter sweet experience for me as it also reminds me of the fact that Moura was dropped for the final.

On this Day 1981

Ricky Villa scores "that" goal Vs Man City …….

On this Day 1981

Ricky Villa scores "that" goal Vs Man City …….

The day I deceided as an 8 year old to support Spurs. I still cant figure out if that was a good or bad decision:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lads visiting from Arsenal forum but born close to Leyton Orient, this is an amazing gesture from Harry Kane, the guy is a legend.

https://www.leytonorient.com/2020/05/14/breaking-the-os-announce-groundbreaking-shirt-sponsorship-guess-whos-back/

Lads visiting from Arsenal forum but born close to Leyton Orient, this is an amazing gesture from Harry Kane, the guy is a legend.

https://www.leytonorient.com/2020/05/14/breaking-the-os-announce-groundbreaking-shirt-sponsorship-guess-whos-back/

Get in and get out.. quick !! :D

Cheers, thanks for that. Well done Harry.
    And he still gets stick from some quarters !

Wow, that's great to read.

Linda surprised that something like this hasn't happened before for smaller clubs... Maybe there were rules against until now.

Linda = kinda.

I'll surprise Linda some other day.

29 years ago today .
    Spurs won the FA Cup for the 8th time.

We have not won it since !

• Advertisement
Advertisement