Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We were in the north end of the main stand looking right at the box. I've not seen any replays, but it looked a great tackle in real time from where I was sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

From the replay, yeah looks like it was a penalty. Linesman and ref well behind the play.

While I don't like flares at games, they're largely harmless. Did RTÉ say anything about Bohs fans throwing bangers, and ripping seats up and throwing them on the pitch?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Same angle I had. I find it very hard to believe that Afolabi touches it left footed and it ends up bobbling tamely to Pohls' left without deflection. Referee has a great view of it too.

Bohs have a line of physical forwards that Lopes in particular wrestles with in Tallaght. Akinade to Kelly to Omochere and now Afolabi. Williams probably takes one of those chances...

Cleary doesn't make any contact with the ball, the ball hits the inside of Afolabi left foot and bounces across, he was presumably bringing it across to shoot on his right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Think it’s the same old story; everyone saying it was obvious pen after multiple angles and replays. On first viewing I didn’t think penalty straight out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Total 100% penalty. Cleary hesitated badly for the through pass, then tries a tackle that doesn't touch the ball at all, only the Bohs' player. No question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That scramble in the box was also a save by Maher, followed by him batting the ball away with his hand when he was on his knees.

He earned us the win last night, and probably why he celebrated so strongly at the final whistle (having given away a stupid goal in the Rovers game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, heard Jon Daly praise Mark Doyle in his post match interview. I couldn’t question his attitude, which is presumably why managers like him, I just feel he is lacking in quality if we want to be challenging for Europe. In fairness to him he does get the odd goal, but he really should have scored last night, and also against Bohs where he missed an easy header.

Re Eoin Doyle, not sure if he got a three match ban or just one. Three might be a bit harsh for the tackle that was in it. Yes, it probably merited a red, but I didn’t think it was overly dangerous. We have two games before we play you anyway, so that would be his suspension served in any event. Home to Drogheda on Friday, then out in Tallaght on Monday 15th.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He doesn't touch the ball at all. Its crap touch by afolabi, but he clearly got to the ball first and was the only one of the 2 to touch it. Find it hard to believe all you want, but it happens all the time.

It was a peno and yellow. Probably a needless tackle anyway given his touch was so bad

• Advertisement

The only time I want to see Mark Doyle on the pitch is when we're two goals up and playing on the counter. He's just not good enough on the ball when we have to break down teams.

Quite. Bad decisions have always been part and parcel of the game. Have just seen the Bohs claim now and it definitely looked like a penalty. However, how many times have we seen people disagree on such calls? Even with VAR in England there are still debates and criticisms. I’m glad we will probably never have the option to go down that road. To be honest I’d rather just suck it up when a call goes against us (and gratefully accept when it goes the other way 😛). Not saying we shouldn’t require refs to be as good as they can, but it’s always going to be imperfect. Also think Alan Cawley was overstating it when he says “these are the calls costing managers their jobs”. Not really Alan. If you are at the bottom end of the table or consistently losing matches it can’t be the ref all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah, I didn’t realise you had a Monday night game. Must be one of the European rearrangements?

That’s possibly it. Did think it was a little soon for us to be playing Rovers again. We’ll have played them three times before May is even out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

More sh*te at the showgrounds. Missed 3 or 4 guilt-edged chances and then concede a free header late on to 80 year old Keith Ward.

The refs deservedly get plenty of stick, but McLoughlin had a good game tonight so credit where it's due.

Was hoping for a draw to keep you both a distance behind us. Dundalk now only 3pt behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You’re looking at it all wrong . Derry are only 3 points behind Bohs.

Rovers will win the league but 2/7 is anyones ( Bohs may be favourites for 2nd but it’s anyones at this stage) if drogheda had even drawn with Dundalk (x 2) Bohs and Derry - it would be 2 to 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

On the Bohs Rovers game .Did they analyse the incident in the first half when Talbot took down Towell but ref gave a free out for offside when it looked from where I was sitting that he was onside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭DvB

For the 'penalty' that was not awarded in Tallaght, i've seen a few claims (one or 2 said it at the game 2 but we were in the South Stand and had the worst view of the incident to be fair) that the game actually restarted with a free out to Rovers from outside the box due to an earlier foul on Gary O'Neill. I hadn't recorded the game so haven't seen any replays to verify if that was the case, but it might explain why there was no decision to award a penalty if the ref had seen a foul just beforehand and couldnt allow bohs gain a goalscoring advantage from a defensive mistake straight after so blew for the free out.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was not a foul on Gary O'Neill. He's stretching to get his foot to the ball and no more. Ref is perfectly happy there. Doesn't signal a foul, doesn't whistle, doesn't wave advantage.

If he's awarding that a foul, then he should be giving bohs a free for a push on their player immediately before it. The free kick was taken no where near either

He fucked up. No more

I think he stopped it and booked a couple of players for protests surrounding him and that's why he gave a free if he did.

He clearly gestures that Cleary got the ball he wasn't playing advantage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seeing reports that James McClean is going to join Derry! If true that would be great for Derry fans. Does anyone know more as the source isn't great

https://www.facebook.com/100063754652432/posts/pfbid0GBP659ijX7iXt56zUkF5mmkiQpRBy1tqz848HEW6LqDwniuEtBmjuTGPatLsLrRrl/

Yip, he'll be back this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭wijam

Is that a definite, I’ve heard the rumours floating around about it, would be fantastic for City if true

It's kinda been the worst kept secret around the city for the last year.

He always said he wanted to play for us again, it was only a matter of when he was finished playing in England. There was talk he might do another season there, but considering yesterday was his last game for Wigan, he'll soon be a free agent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He is saying he never confirmed that to anyone so a nothing story for now. The source I quoted earlier have even retracted their story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Considering McClean hasn't retired from international football yet I couldn't see him going back to Derry until that happens, Kenny may still pick him but it would have to reduce his chances of appearances or being selected at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

I'd guess he's waiting till you sort the pitch out 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I want to like the fella. i really do. he makes it impossible sometimes when he comes out with this stuff.

& 100% agree on VAR. Sick and tired of it. And the cheap soundbites about refereeing. Its bloody tough. They have/will always make mistakes. The less pressure on them the easier their job will be.

There is allot more bigger issues in the league.

He's on 98 caps is he not?

So do you believe he is going to try to find another club in England to attain 2 caps, or do you think perhaps he'll be in the next 2 squads for ireland?

I'd think more likely the latter.

As for the pitch, there is a high chance this is it's last season. Chairman already said he'd cover cost of getting it ripped up. Just need the council to agree now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think it is one of the biggest issues facing the LOI. The officiating is not up to scratch. Yes they will always make mistakes but when you're getting both the easy, hard, little and large ones wrong in nearly every game across the league. Assistants 20 yards behind the play making wrong offside calls, calling the ball in when it's out, out when it's in. Giving yellows for good tackles and nothing for leg breakers. I can remember at least three LOI matches I've gone too where either the ball has clearly crossed the line and not given as a goal or one laughable one (a few years ago now) that the ball was three yards away from the line and the ref gave a goal.

There is zero communication from the officials either to any of the stakeholders in the game, whatever about fans, this is coming from players and managers. They are treating adults like schoolchildren. Even when Connolly went on LOI central he spent most of the time saying "they're laws not rules" like a pedantic school teacher rather than actually discussing the issues and deflecting from the issues. "We have referees at the highest levels in Europe" (getting official complaints to UEFA made against them).

They seem to be self regulated. There needs to be a comprehensive overhaul on how refereeing is structured in this country in terms of training on the laws, reviews of decisions, minimum fitness standards, communication with coaches and players etc.

You can talk about respecting officials all you want but respect is earned, not given. There's a level of incompetence in officiating the moment that should not be tolerated and for me it doesn't come down to any individual referees, it's the system and the training. If you are incompetent in any key task in either life or your job, you train and work to make it right to get yourself competent. This isn't happening in the League of Ireland.

Is there any full-time referees in Ireland?

That's a starting point to the critique and it's extremely hard to improve unless you are doing it on a full time basis.

These guys get told on Mon or Tues where they are officiating. If travelling far e.g. from Dublin to Cork/Limerick they need employer to give a half day Friday.

Up at 7am. Family stuff. Drive to work.

Drive directly from work to game.

Try to get to ground 615pm.

FT 930pm. Writes Report. Lucky if home before 11pm.

Ref and Lino are all mic'd up and there is communication between them all of the time.

The bigger issues are.

1.The gargantuan FAI “legacy JD debt”

& Still in debt - €63.5m of it as of July '22

3.CEO of FAI lives in England. Why? He gets paid €207,590 (plus "attractive cuts from any new sponsors deals"??)

4.30 months into the job and we are still waiting for the financials on a new kit sponsor for National team.

5.FAI looked for another Government bailout in March. €2.5m.(Aviva licence fee worth for 2023)

6. Is there a lack of government support?

For the LOI there is a lack of support FULL STOP

Government funds (Betting tax and/or portion of 16.0 billion surplus) could go directly to LOI clubs to help improve stadiums, academies and club budgets.

e.g. the average loi club budget is €3.5k/week that's for ALL the players, coaches, medics etc.

A good loi player 28 years of age is only on €1,200/week

If government funds were increased & went directly to the clubs and the FAI actually do what there supposed to do (oversight and governance) MASSIVE improvements could be achieved.

e.g. that average loi club only has 1 Full-time administrator with players, coaches and the rest of the staff are part-time, amateurs and volunteers.

Without a sound league structure you cannot drive and maintain standards for refereeing and coaching.

A debt ridden FAI is the elephant in the room.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just because there is "bigger" issues doesn't mean you shouldn't work on the smaller ones. You have to aspire to some level, you can't just say oh well there is this problem so ignore that problem.

how would you address the issue then?

(and I don’t mean that in a smart arse way)

I’ve outlined the challenges for referees who are not full-time. And the fai who are effectively broke.

also outlined an idea/concept as to how you stabilise the league first and foremost. and in fairness I didn’t say ignore.

im just fed up of hearing from managers and so called ‘pundits’ bitch and moan and go for the easy targets.

you always from these managers (the world over) taking pot shots at referees. It’s a blight on the sport.

And as for loi pundits you never hear an idea from them. Never (excl S.Byrne). Why? Because they are all in the game and scratching each others back. Plus it requires too much actual thought and work to provide an idea as to how to actually resolve it.

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd agree - what do you actually do to improve refereeing? I doubt we have long waiting lists of lads dying to referee LOI games. Refs are abused and scrutinised up and down the country every weekend. Obviously we could make more of an effort with referee training and education but IMO it is a symptom of the state of the game/FAI. What are the quick fixes?

It's not an LOI thing though. There have been any number of bad calls in Europe too. Fofana of Molde was about three yards offside for his goal in Tallaght.

They all make huge mistakes at all levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You've touched on a very relevant point. The abuse refs are getting in some of the junior leagues, from verbal to being seriously assaulted by coaches, players and spectators, makes it nearly impossible to retain refs. If the FAI can't retain refs at junior level then there won't be pool of good experienced ones there to draw on and promote to LOI level.

If all the poor LOI refs were sacked in the morning, there wouldn't exactly be a que to take their places.

For the government to provide funding they need oversight that the money is being put to good use. The FAI do not have a good track record there unfortunately so I can understand the reluctance to get involved.

Stadiums are largely a council issue rather than a government issue. The govt could fund the councils but then it is up to the council to agree to the spending. Given the multiple different council and multiple priorities this does not always come through.

On referees I hate to see them being criticised. They are obviously the best available for the money on offer (which I am sure can't be much) so you live with what you have. Driving the ones we have away is not going to help. I wouldn't do it for any money.

It all comes down to training hours on the side of the officials and a communication protocol between officials and stakeholders (players, coaches, club officials etc.)

Some of the things I would implement:

• Minimum training hours for referees, both group and individual. Training on laws of the game, common sense tactics, keeping control of the game etc.
    • Minimum video analysis hours, again group and individual. We already know refs are assessed, what actually is the purpose of those assessments I don't know. Referees would go over their own and others games, analyse them, see what went right and wrong. In a group setting as well to create discussion and share ideas. Refs will make mistakes but it's about seeing why they made it (positioning incorrect, pressure from the crowd, fear of overruling one of your fellow officials) a help prevent it happening
    • Minimum fitness standards. Regular pass/fail testing for referees fitness. I'd hope this is already in place but I suspect it may be either quite a low standard or like the licencing of clubs in that it's just a box ticking exercise and not really worth anything
    • Communication protocol. Get all the stakeholders together and come up with some sort of code of conduct about how and when players, coaches and referees communicate, what is and what isn't acceptable and enforce it with severe punishment on both sides.
    • Full time referees. A long term goal but I think it's what the league needs to aspire to. Full time players = full times refs. Costs needs to be covered by both FAI and clubs themselves.

I've never said sack any of the refs that are there now. They needs to be trained and continuously so, communication needs to improve immensely and a no blame culture introduced. I'd imagine a ref that has driven from Dublin to Sligo after working all week will be quite tired and more liable to make errors etc. They might have stress at home, they might feel ill, they might not have the right tools or the right training. No blame culture and training minimising those risks.

A lot of this would hopefully then filter down to grassroots level where the major problem, and it can been seen in other sports, is the abuse of referees. This needs to punished severely, both individually and collectively. Lifetime bans, extremely punitive fines for clubs and leagues etc. No starting at the bottom up or top down. Do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was over in Galway for my stag party over the weekend and a few of us popped out to the match, never been in the home end in Terryland but it's a great setup for a First Div side with the various food stalls, the bar with a DJ was also a nice bonus with the beer tent! Bit mad that the away fans were rammed into one section of the stand when there was loads of space over there. Lomboto caused a lot of threats, great bit of pace and foot work. Decent game overall.

• Advertisement

Dan McDonnell pouring cold water over McClear to Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

After the popularity of the Dublin Derby Virgin are going to show 5 more games this season.

To be fair, James is saying its fake news too.

Let's hope he is bluffing a wee bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Former Sligo Rovers and Pats forward Marcus Hallows is performing in Sligo tonight 😄

He's an Elvis impersonator in retirement.

Can't believe how easy we are getting it at Dalymount.

It's like a training session.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Like..... seriously.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

In no way was that a 3-0 result performance. We were awful for at least 70 minutes of that match. Forrester scored twice at the end with a mix of great skill and woeful defending. Mason Melia came on as a sub, 15 years old, he's very well regarded.

And typical Higgins, 2nd half we sat back on the 1 nil lead and handed initiative to Bohs. Thankfully they couldn't take advantage of a manager who doesn't want to score more than 1 goal per game.

• Advertisement

Whoever UCD have commentating is woeful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement