Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to a bus driver

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 42 Verified rep I'm a Bus Driver, AMA

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this AMA. This is a sector I'm very interested in and one which I may pursue a career in future years whether as a bus/train driver or working in public transport in general.

Do you reccomend the job for a younger person as I find it seems that a lot of bus drivers are older guys particualry the DB however i have noticed that Go-Ahead seem to have a number of younger drivers working for them?

How difficult is to drive a bus compared to car, would it be very daunting at first for example?

Which shift do you prefer late or early?

What's the best and worst part of your job?

I would have no hesitation in recommending Bus Driving as a career path for any interested young person.

However,that does not mean that you (or anybody else) should not do your due-diligence on the pro's and con's of what the Job entails and whether you are physically and phsychologically suited to the Job.

There is a huge and ongoing shortage of Drivers across the sector,due to amongst other issues,a far too high age limit for accquiring the relevant Driving Licence (21/24).

There is absolutely no valid reason in the 21st Century,that a young,interested and enthusiastic 18 year old,should not be entitled to sit a Class 2 Driving Licence.

With our 2nd and 3rd Level education options having largely abandoned Trades and "Manual" Professions,this means most 21/24 Year olds will have had little opportunity to have a look at Driving as a career option.

https://www.thejournal.ie/truck-drivers-shortage-ireland-3-3854511-Feb2018/

The Driver age figures within the Bus & Coach sector are also well above what they need to be in order to allow the smooth progress it requires...

Average age of a European Busdriver is an astounding 52 Years old :eek:.

https://www.iru.org/resources/newsroom/fifth-driver-positions-unfilled-european-road-transport-sector

The industry also suffers from an ageing labour force. In Europe the majority of freight transport sector companies are employing drivers whose average age is 44 years old, while in the passenger transport sector the average age of their employed drivers is 52 years old.

The job is what it is...if you enjoy what you do,then it becomes as easy as pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Tow

Do you have a bus driver nemesis? One that you won't wave too, instead you give him the narrowed eye?

A Nemesis passenger would be worse.

There was an elderly English Lady (professor in TCD?) who lived around Leeson Street/Wellington Road and was regularly on the No 10, back in the day. Woe betide any driver who did not stop directly in front of where she was waving her walking stick up and down. She knew how to complain...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Has a quarter of a century doing this job had a negative impact on your physical health?

(uncomfortable seats, irregular shift patterns, etc)

Maybe it has,but any medicals I sit,come back positive,with Heart and BP all normal.

If you spend 25 years at any occupation (Politics excepted ;) ) it is bound to have some shaping effect on your body & soul.

Everybody has to develop coping regimes to their individual lifestyles,some do it easily,whilst some spend a good deal of time fighting battles and striving to impose their requirements upon their Jobs (Not specific to Busdriving).

That rarely works out well,for either the Employee,Employer or Customer !

My strong advice to anybody who feels really put-upon by the demands of the Job,is to GET-OUT FAST before the constant grind really does cause you hurt.

There is now a vast accessibility to different and challenging occupations,and hobbies,which was never available to past generations,which forced so many people to slave away at jobs which destroyed them,mentally & physically...so there is no reason for anybody to allow Busdriving to be their downfall.

Do you find newer buses more reliable these days or were the older ones just as good ?

What's the highest mileage you've seen on one ? The old AVs and AXs in Dublin Bus must easily have more then a million kms.....

Do you feel Dublin in general could do with more single deckers ?

Were the bendy buses years ago in Dublin a complete f*** up as some people have claimed in your opinion ?

And finally do you think that public transport should be cash-less ? As in Leap cards only.

Once the Rose-Tints come off,most drivers would have to concede that newer designs of vehicle have a FAR higher degree of comfort and access than past designs.

Hard Leaf cart-springs with low powered engines,spewing out vast clouds of blue/black smoke,with oil and coolant constantly leaking and exhaust fumes wafting up into the body of the bus as rivers of rainwater and condensation soaked into your sleeves......ah but,was'nt the oul Atlantean a great yoke altogether.

There may well be a case for some single-deck vehicles,but the flexibility and capacity of the Double Deck remains it's strong point,and will do for many years yet.

There is definitely scope for Articulated Bus operation in Dublin,but only if the infrastructure is installed before the vehicles arrive.

Dublins last brush with bendies,was one of the most glaring examples of our long standing desire for hardship in anything we attempt.

Attempting to operate a fleet of 18.75 Mtr long articulated vehicles,in and out of Bus Bays designed to accomodate 9.8 Mtr rigid vehicles would have stumped Aristotle or Newton,and the choice of Volvo vehicles which did'nt exactly set the Nordic Forests alight,ensured that rigidity would be maintained in Éire.

As for cashless,it's inevitable,and will occur very rapidly indeed...I'd go with 2021 as being the last hurrah for the thrupenny bit....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just wondering am I a ghost???

I asked questions on the 1st page and got no answer!!!

That's an interesting point but you'd wonder which would cost the company more lost revenue from a fares free day or NTA fines

Some people may be confusing the two Free Fare Saturdays,which the Dept of Transport forced Dublin Bus to provide,following a mix-up over Fare Increases many years ago.

I've Never wondered once about it,but perhaps others lie awake over it.

It may well interest some,but it's largely moot and a scenario not likely to occur anytime soon...not worth spending too much time pondering on,whilst the Planet continues to spin ever onwards.

Tow wrote: »
    A Nemesis passenger would be worse.

There was an elderly English Lady (professor in TCD?) who lived around Leeson Street/Wellington Road and was regularly on the No 10, back in the day. Woe betide any driver who did not stop directly in front of where she was waving her walking stick up and down. She knew how to complain...

Encountered her many times......" DO I HAVE TO PAY YOU PEOPLE EXTRA TO PULL INTO THE KERB ?"

I fear she now occupies a spot on the kerb outside St Peters Depot....:(

Now,where was I.......................

Anyone ever attacked you?
    No.

Have you put anyone off? [/QUOTE] Off the bus,or off the Job ? Yes to the first.....Hmmmmm to the second .
    Have you been in many crashes?
    Accident Free....up to today.
    Have you ever been sacked?
    I recall being laid-off temporarily,during a dispute many years back.
    Has anyone ever died on your bus?
    Not to my knowledge.
    Have you ever knocked someone down?
    Not that I recall.
    How do you find the public treat you?
    Neutrally,the way I like it,I'm not looking for anything else.
    Did you only plan working for the summer and leave after?
    No that was not the case.
    How do you cope doing without toilet facilities for 5 to 7 hours without....?
    Again,personally I dont encounter any problems,I take care not to drink Tea/Coffee (diruretics) too close to my starting time,and I make sure to empty my bladder before returning after my break..that routine has worked for me so far. That's not to detract from the reality that the lack of such facilities as part of the Public Transport system Is a MAJOR issue and a true disgrace in the 21st Century.

Roll on Brexit.....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/sadiq-khan-to-spend-6m-on-toilets-for-london-bus-drivers-a3765906.html

However,whats necessary for some,is an impediment for others.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-46471578

Perhaps somebody on here has the definitive answer...I don't :(

Apologies for the non-operation of some earlier services....this was due to Operational Issues...:D

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Do you still all go for pints in the Bachelors Inn and watch the soccer on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, when your supposed to be out serving passengers?

I dare you too honestly answer that.

Only ever in the Bachelor (no 's') Inn once in my life,and not in uniform.

What is "Soccer" :confused:

My passengers would be already well served...in the Bachelor itself,I suspect ?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    There will no longer be any need for professional drivers like bus drivers, lorry drivers, taxi drivers or delivery drivers within the next 10-15 years or so. Autonomous vehicles will be much cheaper and much safer and will take over.

I guess you will be retired by then, but is this a hot topic amongst your younger colleagues? All of them will lose their jobs soon enough.

Tepid,or perhaps lukewarm I'd suggest.

Retired I shall indeed be,but my pensioners pizza will still arrive in a Nissan Micra...and I'll be still encountering the stare of a human bean behind whatever type of steering gear is on the bus.

I'm very confident that fully autonomous Bus operation remains at least 30 years away in the first world....whilst here in the valley of the silicon shamrock,I'd predict 40 years before it merits a trial....:)

My ol pal Jarrett Walker has a thoughtful piece here.... :)

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/10/bus-best-public-transit-cities/574399/

However,as you suggest,life is constantly evolving and nothing stays the same for long....but I'm still going with 40 - 50 years before my kind becomes extinct....:D

https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/12/meet-the-high-tech-buses-of-tomorrow/509417/

"Streets are very complicated environments to drive in; you got jaywalkers and bike riders who sometimes dart out in front of the bus,” he says. “I think solving the technology problems for an urban bus to be safe is going to be very tough.” Even assuming that buses are equipped with proper safety features, there’s the potential problem of pedestrians adjusting their behavior for the worse.

That’s the basis for one recent research paper that uses game theory to suggest that when pedestrian learn that autonomous vehicles always stop for people, they’ll jaywalk with impunity. Robo-buses, therefore, are “not high on my list on what would make public transportation more viable,” Salvucci says. So what is?

This is the Salvucci being quoted....

https://transitlab.mit.edu/frederick-salvucci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Have you ever reported a colleague or heard of drivers being reported over bad driving?

Have you ever reported a colleague or heard of drivers being reported over bad driving?

I've never personally had cause to report such an incident.

However the advent of Social Media has ensured that such reportage is commonplace across all operators.

Time,said Zebedee,for bed....g'nite all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Have you ever needed to pee in a plastic bottle or flask while out driving the bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

What's the driver's cab like in this weather? I must say it looks fierce stuffy from the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Is inspector considered a promotion and is it very competitive to get that job? You get a hat :cool: Or maybe most drivers are happy to stay in the cab and don’t want the role?

Ever deal with a lazy cow who won’t fold up her buggy and so the wheelchair user gets left at the stop? And yet when I moved to Dublin fadó fadó the buses had steps and mothers managed somehow ?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Tow

I fear she now occupies a spot on the kerb outside St Peters Depot....:(

She used to complain to me that the manager of the Phibsborough Depot was a Communist. She is probably still on the phone to St Peter, telling him how to run things.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm late 20's, and have my medical for driving with a Dublin based company soon...is it worth it, in your opinion, before I make a career jump? (And yes, I do want it and have wanted it for a long time).

I'm late 20's, and have my medical for driving with a Dublin based company soon...is it worth it, in your opinion, before I make a career jump? (And yes, I do want it and have wanted it for a long time).

It's totally up to you and if you will be able to handle the stress and the public.....

It's in no way easy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

DO You have a bedside locker?

Whats in your bedside locker?

Whats the strangest or wildest thing you've seen on your bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What is a busmans holiday really like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Do you get to choose your route? If so why would anyone have chosen the old 77 route? Or if it wasn't a choice did drivers kick up a storm on such routes as the 77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Is it true that Dublin Bus drivers refer to passengers generically as 'skulls'?

How frequently do drivers start their route early so as to hit every stop before the time due, thereby having fewer passengers to deal with? I believe drivers have a term for this carry on: what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Do drivers get upset about passengers thanking/not thanking them as they're getting off? Or do they not care at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Collie D wrote: »
    What’s the strangest thing that’s ever been left on your bus?

Ever drive back to the depot to discover somebody asleep in the back row?

When you’re driving your own car do you subconsciously make extra allowances for manoeuvre like when you’re driving a bus...not sure if that makes sense?

Think you missed mine, OP..if you wouldn’t mind please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Are the bus drivers as militant as they appear? How are those that don't want to tread the NBRU line treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Envelope436

Which routes are considered the good ones to get?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

himu, do not post in the thread again unless it is to ask a question of your own. If you think you would like to do an AMA, you can read about how to apply here but do not hijack this one any further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do Dublin Bus ever discipline their drivers that are reported for 'close passing' people that cycle in Dublin?

Do you know why so many drivers treat people that cycle with such little respect on public roads?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Is it difficult to navigate routes (like the quays for example) where you have to share space with bicycles, motorbikes and eScooters? I would imagine all the undertaking, weaving in and out of lanes etc. can be quite un-nerving

As ask this as a biker seeking to be a more considerate biker ;)

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do Dublin Bus ever discipline their drivers that are reported for 'close passing' people that cycle in Dublin?

Do you know why so many drivers treat people that cycle with such little respect on public roads?

Dublin bus drivers are highly trained and I find most and a high number at that give plenty of space....

The thing that's an issue is those that cycle up as the bus is turning or burst their way to get past as it's pulling in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The thing that's an issue is those that cycle up as the bus is turning or burst their way to get past as it's pulling in etc.

Also ones who try to squeeze their way into a narrow gap between a bus and the kerb or another vehicle. Saw a cyclist on college who literally allowed herself get trapped between in a narrrow gap between a bus and a luas.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Lads if ye want to talk about cyclists on the road, please take it to Cycling or Commuting & Transport, thanks. Otherwise, keep the questions for the bus driver coming :)

Dublin bus drivers are highly trained and I find most and a high number at that give plenty of space....

Also ones who try to squeeze their way into a narrow gap between a bus and the kerb or another vehicle. Saw a cyclist on college who literally allowed herself get trapped between in a narrrow gap between a bus and a luas.

Nothing personal lads, and thanks for the imput, but I was asking the Bus driver..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Without wishing to derail the thread you will simply never know if its for you until you try it for a year or two. Speaking as an ex bus driver.

Thread here about choosing it as a career https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057993356

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Why are there so many bus drivers in Dublin from outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭threetrees

Is it stressful? Dealing with the public, traffic and money all at once?

Do you ever forget to announce a destination that someone has asked for? Eg for tourists? And if you go the wrong way (on a route variation) do you feel like a plonker when the passengers start telling you and you have to find a suitable spot to u turn?

Nothing personal lads, and thanks for the imput, but I was asking the Bus driver..... :rolleyes:

I was answering as one myself...

Yes that thing that went on on that route was nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Do the Wheels On The Bus go round and round, round and round, round and round?

Do The Wheels On The Bus go round and round, all day long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Are there 'starter' routes for new drivers? How do you learn all the stops for a new route and are routes allocated based on proximity to where you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

In college we had a driver on our route with only 9 fingers, we called him Johnny 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Public Opinion is remarkably fickle,and sometimes we who occupy the Internet,have to step back and remind ourselves that we do not represent the generality of that opinion,but rather a (vocal) sector.

This needs to be repeated to so many. What a brilliant point!!

Just looking to throw my question in the hat again incase you missed it: :)

My work involves a lot of driving (a car). Thankfully, I have a lot of leniency in my work and schedule, unlike a bus driver who has a timetable to keep.

I'd say at least once a fortnight, I'd have to pull into the hard shoulder and get an hours sleep. As someone driving all day, every day, do you not often find yourself fighting to keep your eyes open? If you do find yourself in this kind of a situation, do your company give you a free pass and let you swap drivers or buses so you can come off the road for a little while or end the day early? or do you get a bollocking and told to keep at it (making you not want to mention it in general?).

I appreciate the latter is much more dangerous, but also, presumably, a much more realistic situation?

john boye wrote: »
    What's the driver's cab like in this weather? I must say it looks fierce stuffy from the outside.

It can be,but like a lot about the Job,personal preferences differ.
    Some drivers will seal up their space,whilst others will go open plan,with every window open and vent turned on.

I would know one individual who,even in the depths of winter,will have the cab heat turned off and drive in his zipped up anorak....Horses for courses I suppose ?

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Is inspector considered a promotion and is it very competitive to get that job? You get a hat :cool: Or maybe most drivers are happy to stay in the cab and don’t want the role?

Ever deal with a lazy cow who won’t fold up her buggy and so the wheelchair user gets left at the stop? And yet when I moved to Dublin fadó fadó the buses had steps and mothers managed somehow ?!?

Inspector grade was once the only promotional avenue available to busdrivers in the Public sector,however Supervision never interested me,so I never applied.

The advent of "Accessibility" legislation,and all that came with it,has brought a whole new raft of situations for Busdrivers AND Passengers to deal and cope with.

Once the Busdriver realises that they can only request cooperation in this regard,then things usually work out,but not always.

Modern Society,in general,has lost certain coping skills and instead now requires explicit directions for the most minor interactions,whereas previously a dollop of common-sense might have done the trick.

Speaking personally,for me it has been Totally "worth it".

It's impossible and undesirable for me (or anybody else) to do anything other than offer a personal opinion,and that's what I'm offering here.

Assess your situation and decide,remember you can always bale out if it's not what you want.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Do you get to choose your route? If so why would anyone have chosen the old 77 route? Or if it wasn't a choice did drivers kick up a storm on such routes as the 77

Drivers work what they are allocated generally,some have preferences and will attempt to swap onto particular routes etc.

As Drivers attain marked-in status,they then work that particular route or block of routes.

Plenty of Drivers spent decades on routes such as the 77,and had no issues.

Is it true that Dublin Bus drivers refer to passengers generically as 'skulls'?

How frequently do drivers start their route early so as to hit every stop before the time due, thereby having fewer passengers to deal with? I believe drivers have a term for this carry on: what is it?

"Skull" is an old Railway term,and references the Ticket Checker counting heads from the back of the carriage,as with many such terms it's slipping gradually away into the mists of time too.

Going sharp,as you describe, is another practice now becoming extinct,particularly with developments such as GPS location and on board telemetry.

However,memories live a lot longer than actualities,so it will take decades before people realize it's no longer around.

Even if you are answering as a bus driver, you didn't answer either question.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement