Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best living area for family around Shannon

Options
  • 04-03-2019 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I live in Korea now and I am planning to move to Ireland soon. I got a job in Shannon. Please recommend a good place for family around Ennis or Limerick.

I have children(Girl 8 years, Boy 3 years).
    I'd like an area that meets the following conditions.

1. Good elementary school - I heard there is only one school that speaks Irish. I want to send a school where there are classes in English. Of course, the quality of education is important, too. A school where boys and girls can go together, if possible.
    2. Up to 30 to 40 minutes' drive from Shannon.
    3. Good residential environment

Thanks
    Post edited by MarkR on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Dooradoyle, with the Educate Together school in Mungret. Or in the estates near the Educate Together school in Ennis.

Second class will be a washout if you send your kids to a Catholic school. They spend the entire year on practising for a religious ceremony as I understand it. There's a lot of time spent on indoctrination in them in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Yes, there’s time given over to Communion preparations but it’s not the entire year. Far from it.
    Dooradoyle, with the Educate Together school in Mungret. Or in the estates near the Educate Together school in Ennis.

Second class will be a washout if you send your kids to a Catholic school. They spend the entire year on practising for a religious ceremony as I understand it. There's a lot of time spent on indoctrination in them in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Well, that's complete ballix anyway, especially in an Educate Together

Educate Together are not Catholic schools

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

Clearly this poster has a anti Catholic agenda.

The strengths of most schools lie in the Principal and teaching staff, there are good Catholic schools, Gael Scoil and ET schools, the ethos plays only a minor role.

Regarding the charge that 2nd class is a wash out that is untrue. All school types spend a similar amount of time on 'religion' its the context that differs, Catholic schools clearly prepare for their religious sacraments while non denominational schools give a broader overview of all religions. The children still do religion but just a different focus.

Educate together schools often have a greater parental input, partially because its a new structure but also because many of these parents have issues with traditional education and want something different for their child. This can have positives but negatives too. it'll take a strong principal to stand up to some of these pushy parents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should factor in availability of a local doctor (GP). Shannon doesn't currently have any doctors that will take on new patients (I've heard).

You may also want to factor in tranport. If you are relying on public transport, it's availability can be poor in some areas.

The rental market is very tight right now, with seemingly low availability. Prices are high, and those renting will want references from employers.

Speaking for Shannon, it's fine. It can be boring, but it's quiet. It's got a good range of supermarkets (Dunnes, Lidl, Iceland (small) ) are all in the town centre. There's quite a few primary schools in shannon (that's what they call them here).

Driving to Limerick or Ennis takes about 20 minutes if no traffic.

Other posters, bear in mind OP is likely not Irish. May not know what bollix is. :-)

2.5 hours minimum per week of religious education. A further 1h 40 min of assembly time, which involves prayers, hymns and a religious sermon. Combined this greatly exceeds the 3 hours a week dedicated to subjects like math or English. This is during any year. As I said, in second class it is greater.

Add to that an undermining of their actual education when it comes to things like evolution or natural history.

Nothing anti-Catholic about thinking this is a waste of time and effort. If you want to do it then go ahead but it should be extracurricular.

Advertisement