Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Fainga'a to start please. Was brillant in the rucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Niyi instead of Kelleher this time. On large Murrayfield his speed will be useful

Kelleher is no slouch and one of the most inform players at the minute. He’s one who should be kept playing. Could see toh or Healy drop out instead.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Niyi instead of Kelleher this time. On large Murrayfield his speed will be useful

Kelleher is no slouch and one of the most inform players at the minute. He’s one who should be kept playing. Could see toh or Healy drop out instead.
    Hell we disagree there. Niyi is 14. So is Kell.  Was a disaster as FB in the past.
    Don't move player out of their position if you don't need to...

Hell we disagree there. Niyi is 14. So is Kell.  Was a disaster as FB in the past.
    Don't move player out of his position if you don't need to...

The Friend Zone

Kelleher could fit in at 11, has played there a number of times in the past.

The Friend Zone

Back row will be very interesting all season. A lot of players with very different qualities and skill sets.

Kelleher could fit in at 11, has played there a number of times in the past.
    with Leinster you mean? Healy is in form too though less shiny...

Back row will be very interesting all season. A lot of players with very different qualities and skill sets.
    I even think there's 1 too many. A LH prop would have been more needed. But here we are, let's focus on the squad we have

The Friend Zone
    with Leinster you mean? Healy is in form too though less shiny...

Kellehers first season. Healy broke his wrist, kelleher slotted in well on the left. Including big wins at home to Toulouse and Ulster I believe.

The Friend Zone
    I even think there's 1 too many. A LH prop would have been more needed. But here we are, let's focus on the squad we have

A lot of pressure on Conan to preform when needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Kelleher definitely starts, he looks very sharp, was brilliant v Glasgow and if he gets a bit of luck on the injury front, will have a huge season I reckon. I'd leave Healy and TOH too.

Liking that we're seeing more settled teams this season, 7/8 changes was common last season and didn't help at all.

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Kelleher definitely starts, he looks very sharp, was brilliant v Glasgow and if he gets a bit of luck on the injury front, will have a huge season I reckon. I'd leave Healy and TOH too.

Liking that we're seeing more settled teams this season, 7/8 changes was common last season and didn't help at all.

You’re right with a settled team being better long term. Saying that I’d rather see outlet best settled team start at home to both scarlets and Leinster as I really think targeting home games is a must. Also the strength in depth seems to have gone up a notch this year apart from maybe loose head. For that reason I’d rather a few changes for this week and revert back for the home games

Mul, it's over
    You’re right with a settled team being better long term. Saying that I’d rather see outlet best settled team start at home to both scarlets and Leinster as I really think targeting home games is a must. Also the strength in depth seems to have gone up a notch this year apart from maybe loose head. For that reason I’d rather a few changes for this week and revert back for the home games

Think this is probably as winnable as both of those. Agree though that making the sportsground a fortress should be big aim. Reading this earlier seems like Friend won't be making any back row changes. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/aki-set-to-make-first-appearance-of-season-against-edinburgh-1.3625917

Making better use of replacements this season too, front row only playing 50-60 mins unlike poor Buckley being flogged in the past and with the scrum going so well last week I'd be a bit reluctant to change it.

The Friend Zone
    Think this is probably as winnable as both of those. Agree though that making the sportsground a fortress should be big aim. Reading this earlier seems like Friend won't be making any back row changes. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/aki-set-to-make-first-appearance-of-season-against-edinburgh-1.3625917

Making better use of replacements this season too, front row only playing 50-60 mins unlike poor Buckley being flogged in the past and with the scrum going so well last week I'd be a bit reluctant to change it.

That certainly makes it look like there won’t be any unnecessary changes. The Celtic cup is on this weekend, I’d imagine Copeland will start in that if not involved in the senior match

That certainly makes it look like there won’t be any unnecessary changes. The Celtic cup is on this weekend, I’d imagine Copeland will start in that if not involved in the senior match
    Griffin or Joyce as 13?

The Friend Zone
    Griffin or Joyce as 13?

For eagles? Joyce I’d say as griffin should be the extra man for the back line with seniors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Prediction time for Edinburgh,
    Kelleher, Niyi, Bundee, Godwin, Healy ,Carty, Marms, Buckley, Delahunt, Bealham, Dillane, Roux, Butler, Faingaa, Copeland

Mul, it's over
    Sevu Reece doing damage again.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1040150503009599488?s=21

The Friend Zone

Really excited to see him in green.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone

He was pretty close to being offside no? I know the ball went 15m and he's very fast off the blocks. But it's close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Team named https://www.connachtrugby.ie/marmion-back-in-connacht-side-as-aki-named-on-the-bench-for-pro14-clash-with-edinburgh/

Bundee on bench.

Dillane in for Roux

Niyi in for Kelleher

No Buckley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    i think no Buckley is the big news
    massive evening for Conan

Mul, it's over
    Hope it’s just a rest of course but think no Buckley means he has picked up an injury. Kelleher must have too, be a harsh dropping otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    15. Blair Kinghorn (66)

14. Dougie Fife (109)

13. James Johnstone (20)

12. Matt Scott (76)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (19)

10. Simon Hickey (2)

9. Henry Pyrgos (2)

1. Pierre Schoeman (2)

2. Stuart McInally (122) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (117)

4. Ben Toolis (90)

5. Grant Gilchrist (122)

6. Jamie Ritchie (50)

7. Hamish Watson (83)

8. Luke Hamilton (2)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (181); 17. Allan Dell (46); 18. Simon Berghan (50); 19. Fraser McKenzie (102). 20. Magnus Bradbury (53); 21 Sean Kennedy (62); 22. Jaco van der Walt (18); 23. Juan Pablo Socino*

*Edinburgh competitive debut

Mul, it's over
    Thought Hickey was really good for them last week v Ulster, he’ll need close attention.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Hope it’s just a rest of course but think no Buckley means he has picked up an injury. Kelleher must have too, be a harsh dropping otherwise.

The late hit against Zebre. He wasn't right after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    If buckley isnt carrying something i dont understand why he isnt benching. Massive vote of confidence in conan though.

Niyi i expect to rip it up with kelleher playing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

freyners wrote: »
    If buckley isnt carrying something i dont understand why he isnt benching. Massive vote of confidence in conan though.

Niyi i expect to rip it up with kelleher playing so well.

With us not signing a LH I think its conans season to get to the next level and the coaches seem to be embracing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Who is covering fullback in that selection if TOH comes off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

Healy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Healy is imagine. Has done so in the past.

The Friend Zone

IMO order: Kelleher/Healy/Carty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

evil_seed wrote: »
    IMO order: Kelleher/Healy/Carty

Kelleher isn't in the squad but he would be ahead of Healy I'd say

The Friend Zone
    Hope Buckley and Kelleher are just being rested and not injured.

Griffin keeping his place sets the tone for putting a solid performance means you play regardless of who’s waiting to get back in.

Right five will need a huge game and Dillane and bealham need to step up and lead that five and show they’re both real contenders for the Irish squad.

Wouldn’t want to be the tired Edinburgh player who gets to be the first person Bundee gets his hands on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Without Buckley, and Aki/Fainga'a for an hour, seeing that strong Edinburgh team, it's a tough ask to expect a BP

That's a pretty cool Eagles team, do someone knows who's Moylett on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That's a pretty cool Eagles team, do someone knows who's Moylett on the bench?
    Moylett is from Ballina. Has been in school in Roscrea. Played Irish 19s last season. His dad played for Connacht and Ireland in 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    Is this our first match at Murrayfield since the Pro12 final??

The Friend Zone
    Didn’t get to see any preseason or the Glasgow match but does anyone know what conor Carey did to get dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Has anyone seen much of Cian Huxford? Been in quite a few Eagles teams now, starting when he was barely turned 18. Missed Ireland 19s through injury last year I believe, wonder will he make 20s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That new away jersey is nice, except the Connacht on the ar5e bit. Is it only being released today? Odd timing.

Has anyone seen much of Cian Huxford? Been in quite a few Eagles teams now, starting when he was barely turned 18. Missed Ireland 19s through injury last year I believe, wonder will he make 20s.
    Will have decent shot at making 20s. Though playing A games can vary hugely. Not necessarily mean much in terms of playing Irish 20s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

salmocab wrote: »
    That new away jersey is nice, except the Connacht on the ar5e bit. Is it only being released today? Odd timing.

First away game, first time the players will be wearing it. Release the jersey same day to get a bit of interest.

Will have decent shot at making 20s. Though playing A games can vary hugely. Not necessarily mean much in terms of playing Irish 20s

Penny will have ther 7 shirt sewn up I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is this a joke by Nucifora making Connacht sign players with names beginning with C!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is this a joke by Nucifora making Connacht sign players with names beginning with C!

6 Conors in one team, must be a record.

The Friend Zone

Who else will be in with a shout at u 20s? Teirney, Murray, huxford, Reilly? Didn’t realize Hayes was also u 20

Who else will be in with a shout at u 20s? Teirney, Murray, huxford, Reilly? Didn’t realize Hayes was also u 20
    Look at the 20s thread or just google last years 18s/19s squads and you will have good idea of Connacht players who are eligible for 20s
    Yeah Hayes was part of a very good Munsters u16 side that were Munster finalists in their age group and were seriously competitive at 18s. Has also been playing AIL from soon after he turned 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

6 Conors in one team, must be a record.

Could get confusing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement