Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a decent AF Beer

Options
  • 25-01-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Thanks! :pac:. Am quitting alcohol for a few weeks, hopefully longer. But I do like a nice beer. Would love some recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

Erdinger na all the way for me.

Chilled thou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks ER. The only one I have ever tried was Becks NA and that was vile :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

Thanks ER. The only one I have ever tried was Becks NA and that was vile :confused:

Yeah the Becks na tastes as bad as normal Becks :)

e.r wrote: »
    Yeah the Becks na tastes as bad as normal Becks :)

Beer flavoured water. Awful stuff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Pure Brew is a new one from Open Gate Brewery/Diageo. It's pretty nice. It's 0.5% rather than completely alcohol free.
    There's one in Dunnes that's only 64 cent a can that's decent, I'll have to check the name of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Just tried Krombacher and it is decent. It is <.5% but tastes pretty close to the real deal.

Where are ye getting these AF beers?? My local Tesco has nothing!!

O Brien's have three or four different brands.

Thanks Garagar

Discovered Franziskaner (excuse spelling). Weissbier in Tesco last night (they have their AF corner hidden away lol!!

Very nice it was too if any of ye want to try it folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Baltika 0% was one I used to find in a few pubs and was quite nice. Not as sweet and sickly as most AF beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

So new AF beers from Heineken and Guiness in the last few weeks the former adds little to the current stock but the new guiness one is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Tried a few places today in Galway city for Heineken 00 not stocked yet I was disappointed. I was away for weekend and looking forward to trying a few bottles of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Guys. I cannot reccomend the new alcohol free guinness pure brew enough. It tastes lovely.

I have unintentionally ended up not drinking the past month or so. Sun was shining the other day. Got a Guinness alcohol free lager. Tasted amazing. And i had no temptation to continue on.
    I knew that I had treated myself to a nice "time out" and had a chat with friends. I then went home and had a herbal tea and wonderful sleep ☺

Must check that one out GetReal. As I mentioned earlier I have tried a good few and the Krombacher one nearly tastes indistinguishable to real beer. Unlike nearly all others I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I was on holiday a couple of months ago and really enjoyed the Krombacher, definitely the most similar to real beer I've tried. The new Heineken 0% was also pretty good, it needs to be very cold and you need to drink it pretty quickly as I found it goes quite flat and watery after a while, it is good though and a lot better than some of the vile AF beers I've tried!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

any alco free Weissbeer like Franziskaner, Erdinger, Paulaner etc. is more than drinkable. You can add a splash of lemonade to it to make it even more palatable .

Of the lagers, the only one I ever found to be middling nice was Paulaner, but thats not available in Ireland.
    Becks is also not too bad which seems to be the most readily available one in Ireland, and again, a splash of lemonade into it turns it into an alcohol free shandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Thought I'd add in a couple of mentions
    I'm enjoying Stiegl's Freibier at the moment (it's in a few off-licenses I believe and I've picked it up in Supervalu and Dunnes).
    Carlsberg's 0.0 is new to me (Tesco) and I'm finding it quite Becks like (but better)
    Dunnes had a German n/a which I hadn't seen before on offer at 5 for 2.50. I got 2 cans and just found it nondescript but not unpleasant.
    My brother picked up some of the Budweiser Prohibition Brew in Asda NI for me - it's sweet but I found it quite enjoyable.

My preferred though is still Brewdog's Nanny State (closest to a bitter rather than a lager).

Glad there's more choice out there these days

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

https://www.obrienswine.ie/brewdog-nanny-state-33cl-btl.html

Nanny State, from brew dog if you like IPAs. Taste is the same as good IPAs, and lovelly colour as well if you want to drink in a glass. 0.5% not completely alcohol free.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don’t mean to kill the buzz of this thread but if you are an alcoholic especially in early recovery I would try to stay well away from alcohol free beers. The taste and whole association of the taste of beer can easily lead to a relapse onto the alcoholic brews.

This happened me a few times. There’s a saying - “non-alcoholic beers are for non-alcoholics”

• Advertisement

bikedude wrote: »
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/brewdog-nanny-state-33cl-btl.html

Nanny State, from brew dog if you like IPAs. Taste is the same as good IPAs, and lovelly colour as well if you want to drink in a glass. 0.5% not completely alcohol free.
    0.5% is the limit (under UK & Irish legislation, I believe) for de-alcoholised drinks. 0.05% is I think the limit for alcohol free - that's around where something like orange juice can be naturally.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I don’t mean to kill the buzz of this thread but if you are an alcoholic especially in early recovery I would try to stay well away from alcohol free beers. The taste and whole association of the taste of beer can easily lead to a relapse onto the alcoholic brews.

This happened me a few times. There’s a saying - “non-alcoholic beers are for non-alcoholics”
    That's a fair point - if you're in recovery then you should tread very carefully with these. Probably something to discuss with your sponsor/friend/other support group peer/GP/counsellor before trying.

At the same time, they're not an issue for some (they don't cause an issue for me) and could be useful to those reducing or those just looking for something when they're not drinking on a particular occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I'm trying dry January this year so have stocked up on a selection some alcohol free beers. Here's my thoughts on what I've tried so far,

Heineken 0.0 is my favourite so far. Really nice.
    Baltika from aldi was really nice too.
    Perlenbacher 0.0 from lidl is quite nice.

Pure brew from guinness was really good quality but I'm not a big fan of ipa/craft beer type taste.

Bavaria 0% was vile.
    Gerstral from Dunnes was worse.
    Becks blue was surprisingly bad. Rotten aftertaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Heineken zero is the best so far that I've tried.
    Must try that perlenbacher.

Heineken zero is the best so far that I've tried.
    Must try that perlenbacher.

€3.99 for six 330ml bottles. Well worth it.

Just got a few there. Thanks for the recommendation :)
    Friend of mine reckons AF beer is a bad thing. It fools your brain into thinking that you are drinking a normal beer which can awaken the sleeping demon that makes you start craving drink again. I dunno ...I can see both sides to the argument.

Just reporting back that the Perlenbacher from lidl has surpassed all my expectations.
    Having 2 here now with the old crubeens warming in front of the fire and no hangxiety to contend with tomnorrow.

I tried a beer from Tesco tonight called Free Damm. 4 quid for 4 330ml cans. Really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tried Punk AF by BrewDog over Christmas, and it was REALLY good.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Tried Punk AF by BrewDog over Christmas, and it was REALLY good.

Must try that. Seriously expensive though.

Advertisement