Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It's great that we're signing players, but apart from Vernon Anita - I haven't an absolutely clue about the rest who've been signed. Our scouting team must have been in some far flung places finding these. Hopefully we've picked up some right gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

I think the money paid for some of these lads tells it's own story. Once you're paying in the millions, you're into quality players. I don't think any under the million has been touted as being a complete bargain except maybe Wiedwald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I think the signings are indicative of appointing a continental coach with little to no understanding of the English game, particularly the Championship - I'll reserve judgement but my initial feeling is that we would've been far better served filling the shopping basket with 3-4 players with championship experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I think the signings are indicative of appointing a continental coach with little to no understanding of the English game, particularly the Championship - I'll reserve judgement but my initial feeling is that we would've been far better served filling the shopping basket with 3-4 players with championship experience

+1 And most of all, last season was built on a solid back 5. Now we have a potential new goalkeeper, lost a centre half and have a pile of new midfielders to gel. If we can get a proven solid centre half with leadership things will look a bit better but right now we're looking short in experienced leaders in the team.
    I'd love to be as optimistic as others but I think there is a high risk of this not working and a lot of these new lads disappointing. I hope I'm wrong!

DoctaDee wrote: »

Yeah, was surprised to see references to optimism, all looks like a mess to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

All moves by Radz so far have proven to be smart business. I can't see him spending £7m or so on duds but admit I know nothing about them to create the optimism. Trusting the man for now.

We are being linked with 3 or 4 different Wolves defenders with Danny Batth the most linked and Iorfa/Foley/Coady also linked. All CB or RB I think and that could be the Championship experience we need. Happy enough to try foreign talent up front where we need to add goals from last season. Think it's very hard to get a good player with Championship experience with Boro/Birmingham/Villa/Hull etc having big budgets and knowing the same players. At least abroad we might get someone of similar talent without them knowing the player due to our scouts.

Would be very disappointed to see Green or Hernandez leave and both are being watched by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Yeah, was surprised to see references to optimism, all looks like a mess to me.

IMO, I think calling it a mess is the furthest thing from the truth of LUFC over the past ten years!

We had done our business early, discreetly, spent millions on young(ish) players who have an appetite to succeed.

Bought back our ground and put in place a development plan to refurbish the stadium, build a new training ground and grow commercially - all in the space of a short few months...

Yes, the players are unknowns in most cases and no one expects the nine of them to be lighting up the championship. But, we had the nucleus of a solid team last year but lacked the quality in depth. I would agree we need a strong CB and would like to see Green stay and lead from the back but to say it is a mess is crazy.

Maybe I'm being over-optimistic but based on the last few years of misery this is like heaven to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

I think it could more be termed a Risk rather than a Mess. We would all agree that the second level anywhere in the world is not the same as the second level in Britain. Unfortunately, the reports from the pre-season games so far has been lacking in real analysis, to maybe compare how the team are setting up tactically. A scoreline really doesn't tell the whole store. However, it would somewhat appear that more chances are being created, but that sort of a statement takes no account of the quality of the opposition.

I'd certainly let Hernandez go. Yes, he can be unreal on his day, but unfortunately, "his day" doesn't come around often enough

IMO, I think calling it a mess is the furthest thing from the truth of LUFC over the past ten years!

We had done our business early, discreetly, spent millions on young(ish) players who have an appetite to succeed.

I'd happily take Grayson and Monk's tenure in that time.

It seems to me that the club was caught on the hop by Monk's departure, spent ages looking for a replacement, went for a man that had everyone scratching their heads and saying "who", and we don't know much about the quality of the signings beyond "trust the new guy".

It reminds me of the slew of players Reid brought in that just looked completely disjointed. Roque Junior, Camara, Sakho, Olembe, Domi...just too much thrown at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

championc wrote: »
    I think it could more be termed a Risk rather than a Mess. We would all agree that the second level anywhere in the world is not the same as the second level in Britain. Unfortunately, the reports from the pre-season games so far has been lacking in real analysis, to maybe compare how the team are setting up tactically. A scoreline really doesn't tell the whole store. However, it would somewhat appear that more chances are being created, but that sort of a statement takes no account of the quality of the opposition.

I'd certainly let Hernandez go. Yes, he can be unreal on his day, but unfortunately, "his day" doesn't come around often enough

I would agree that he is very hit and miss. I just think his experience and quality will be very useful for the season ahead.
    May not always be a starter but great to have when needed.

• Advertisement

Time will tell I suppose but going by the reports of where the players we bought were linked too also I am positive about their abilities over their household names. All about them gelling together now. If nothing else it looks like will be play an attacking brand of football.

I hope Hernandez stays too, need his experience with a few others to integrate the new signings tbf. Would also like to see a proven champ CB signed if possible but the prices for buying within England are nuts. £50mil for Kyle Walker says it all... that's more than Radz paid for LUFC and ER combined!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My issue is that most of the signings are midfielders. We desperately need a quality CB and another striker to offer something different to Wood. There is no way that we will be able to keep all the new signings plus the midfielders from last year happy. We are overloaded with midfielders.

I just can't see the logic behind our signings so far.

I'm somewhere in between the pessimism of Conor and the optimism of others. The signings to date make a certain amount of sense to bring in a couple of good attacking midfielders as this is probably where we were weakest last season. I can also see the sense in bringing in the goalkeeper given he was available for very little and can provide better competition for Green.
    However a CB for Bartley is surely a massive priority. I think, like others, that we have too many midfielders now and I'm not sure we needed to bring in quite so many. That said, Anita was a freebie so worth bringing in, Klich and especially Saiz sound better than some of the lads we have, so the only ones I'm unsure about here are the striker and the lad from Lugano. If we get a proven CB in then I think you would have to say it's a good pre season. However if we don't then it's a real concern as from the end of last season most of us here said keeping Bartley was our number 1 priority in terms of players for next season.

Aden Flint the main CB being linked. Bristol City man valued at £4m. Mates with Ayling and Ayling liked a post asking him to recommend LUFC to Flint. Flint also liked a post from someone saying they wouldn't mind Aden Flint at Leeds.

Andreas Maxso is the other cover CB being linked over the weekend. Worth about £1m.

Phil Hay says that we're looking for two CBs and that it's the domestic market we're looking at. Doesn't think Bartley will be one of them tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Bartley is not coming back, lets move on.

The manager obviously knows where we are lacking so need to panic just yet, he has strengthened our attacking options and i expect CB's in shortly, I would prefer someone British who knows the league, Flint, Danny Bath etc.

I think no matter who comes in, once Pontus is beside them they will be fine!

Paudie O'Connor has got some pre season mins under his belt, I wonder if he's impressed enough?

Bartley is not coming back, lets move on.

The manager obviously knows where we are lacking so need to panic just yet, he has strengthened our attacking options and i expect CB's in shortly, I would prefer someone British who knows the league, Flint, Danny Bath etc.

I think no matter who comes in, once Pontus is beside them they will be fine!

Paudie O'Connor has got some pre season mins under his belt, I wonder if he's impressed enough?

Didnt bring him to Austria from what I read. So I guess its a little to soon for him.

Leeds pre season game on Bursaspor s youtube channel now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccj-GoSpw6w

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I'm somewhere in between the pessimism of Conor and the optimism of others.

Trust me. After following Leeds for over 30 years, pessimism is always the best approach. I was pleasantly surprised by being wrong for 3 seasons under Wilkinson, 3 seasons under O'Leary, and maybe another season here and there...Grayson, Monk...but it's generally wholly justified. It's probably like being a Mayo supporter in GAA, assume the worst will happen and you won't be too let down!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We were well beaten by Buraspor yesterday, 3-0. More proof that a CB is top priority!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bellusci's contract has been terminated by mutual agreement.

• Advertisement

Mathew Pennington in on loan from Everton almost completed. Good signing.

Green available to leave and new German kepeer is No.1 for the start of season. Bad move.

Pennington might be a decent prospect but I don't think he can be considered a replacement for Bartley. We need someone proven with experience who can lead the team so whilst it's good to get Pennington in, I'm still hoping we get someone more established in soon. It's very hard on Green as I think he won most people over last year (there were plenty who questioned his signing at the time) and again he's an experienced player who would bring some stability and leadership at the back. It's another risky move by TC that could backfire. Personally I think he should let Silvestri leave and keep Green as number 1.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Pennington might be a decent prospect but I don't think he can be considered a replacement for Bartley. We need someone proven with experience who can lead the team so whilst it's good to get Pennington in, I'm still hoping we get someone more established in soon. It's very hard on Green as I think he won most people over last year (there were plenty who questioned his signing at the time) and again he's an experienced player who would bring some stability and leadership at the back. It's another risky move by TC that could backfire. Personally I think he should let Silvestri leave and keep Green as number 1.

Think Wiederwald was signed on the promise of first team football and coming to the Championship from starting 33 and then 26 games in the Bundesliga you can't blame him. He may be a bargain at that price, but this season Green with Silvestri or even Bailey-Peacock as back up would have been better for team. Hope to be proven wrong.

Tommy Elphick mentioned today but seems like about 10 clubs are after him. At least we are being linked with some solid centre backs. Just want to make sure we get one of Batth/Elphick/Flint or similar.

With a few of our attacking midfielders also able to play as striker I wonder are we looking at more over for Wood at all. If you simply list players that could play up front we'd have 6 or 7 I think (Wood/Ekuban/Doukara/Antonsson/Alioski/Roofe and think Sacko has played there but with his touch that would be the most frustrating watch ever!) for one spot. None of great or proven quality apart from Wood really tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Daryl Murphy has been released by Newcastle. Wouldn't mind having him in the squad as backup for Wood.

Silvestri left the squad in Austria to fly to Italy, deal all but done with Verona apparently (via Phil Hay).

BPF may have been recalled by Leeds by all accounts, that would put more weight into Green looking elsewhere for first team action and Wiederwald as 1st choice...

Silvestri left the squad in Austria to fly to Italy, deal all but done with Verona apparently (via Phil Hay).

BPF may have been recalled by Leeds by all accounts, that would put more weight into Green looking elsewhere for first team action and Wiederwald as 1st choice...

Seeing Bailey Peacock-Farrell (3 surnames) reminds me of a pic of Steve Bruce unveiling John Terry and the comment that they didn't have a surname between them. Then we have the two awesomely named Romario and Ronaldo Viera twins at Leeds and we've just signed a Spanish striker for the development squad called Adrian Balboa (Adriaaaaaaaan!).

Load of nonsense but sure aren't names great all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Looks like youtube will have a live stream of the Monchengladbach game here

Edit .. bum steer sorry and I missed Aylings goal :(

Its on LUTV as well if you sign up for the free one day subscription

Good start, 1-0 after 2 minutes. Ayling.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Good start, 1-0 after 2 minutes. Ayling.

Leeds Goal: https://twitter.com/LufcPaddy/status/888011932212637696/video/1

Apparently the newly free LUFC TV crashed due to increased traffic.

Well taken goal that. 1-1 now after an hour.

All over, 1-1

Facebook's "on this day" reminded me that 5 years ago Leeds signed Gray.

To add to White, Brown and Green.

And if that wasn't enough, they had Paynter.

Ticket prices released for the upcoming season, fairly hefty increases from last year which were pretty high for Champ standards to begin with. We don't know yet home many games will be Cat A / B etc so hopefully there won't be the majority as Cat A. But it does mean it will be cheaper to get the flight over then actually but a ticket to the game. There is also a £5 supplement if you buy tickets on the gate.

https://twitter.com/IsThatConfirmed/status/888879527954444288

I suppose Radz is a business man but reckon that will take away from some of the attendances that were building because of the summer work to date.

Just kicked off against Eibar, and Eibar are already 1-0 up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Eibar 3-0 up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,477 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

New away jersey is all black. Looks class IMO.

That away kit is fantastic :pac:

Hmmm, not for me lads. It might look good but our colours are white, yellow and blue. I'm not a fan of when teams wear colours that have nothing to do with their club colours.

• Advertisement

Cue "who's the w*nker in the black" chants from opposing fans if someone gets away with a dodgy foul or something.

It's really nice, but the colour is just not Leeds. Although neither was the green and blue striped kit, which is probably my favourite Leeds away kit ever.

Linked with Marc Wilson, would offer good options and Bournemouth only looking for 1m , Have also had a bid accepted from Bolonga for another Swedish centre half Filip Helander to partner Pontus. down to the player to agree terms.

Hopefully these deals get over the line!

Talk of Swansea interested in Wood, especially if Everton agree to pay £50m for Siggurdsson. Ashley Fletcher gone to Middlesbrough, so that's one potential replacement out of the picture.

Erwin just signed for Kilmarnock. No mention of whether we got anything for him, but if we did I wouldn't imagine it would be much.

Have a feeling this season could be the omnishambles. Still can't really recall the name of the manager, though he's not a manager, and dunno any of the new signings. Yeah, there is the 5% chance that it might all click, and the Championship is a weird division where the Notts Forests and Blackburns struggle while the Bournemouths sail through...but even by my pessimistic standards this could be a bad one.

I've seen two things today predicting where everyone will finish this season, one based on the most popular final season points spread bets for each team, and the other Aitor Karanka's predictions. One had us 8th and the other 9th. Given the number of new signings and the fact that it'll take a bit of time for them to gel, I think it's hard to argue with that being the best we can hope for. Might have been different had Monk stayed on and the team was a lot more stable.

I think it will be a good one. Might be a slow start with all the new signings but Im thinking top 6 and Id be happy with that. Although that prediction is based on Wood staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭jacool

Zaph wrote: »
    I've seen two things today predicting where everyone will finish this season, one based on the most popular final season points spread bets for each team, and the other Aitor Karanka's predictions. One had us 8th and the other 9th. Given the number of new signings and the fact that it'll take a bit of time for them to gel, I think it's hard to argue with that being the best we can hope for. Might have been different had Monk stayed on and the team was a lot more stable.
    and here's the take from the Sporting Life. Dropped out of the top 10
    13. Leeds United
    Manager: Thomas Christiansen
    Last season: Seventh (75 points)
    Season bet: Leeds to finish higher than Sunderland at 4/5
    Leeds remain one of the biggest clubs in the Championship but it still surprised me to see that Garry Monk had the Whites pushing for a play-off place. That top-six finish fell out of reach after only claiming six of the final 24 points on offer and that was that as Monk moved on for Middlesbrough. Now Leeds enter the new campaign with the surprise appointment of former APOEL Nicosia boss Thomas Christiansen as the club’s new manager and an array of signings from across Europe. I reckon the Whites overachieved slightly last term so I'm going to predict a return to Leeds' previous five finishes in the Championship when they ended up 14th,13th, 15th, 15th and 13th in the standings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

20/1 to win the league with Ladbrokes. 6/1 for promotion with Victor Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Also linked to loan deals for Ryan Kent from Liverpool (tore us apart at Oakwell last season) and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson from them

This has popped up again, close to a season-long loan deal but may not be wrapped up before Bolton

Grand as a squad option, but hopefully not seen as a direct replacement for Bartley

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement