Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

They've caught the blighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The small fine and paltry sentence would imply he was only a copy cat minnow and not the big fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Judging by the different 'phone numbers that have come up on my 'phone over the last few years there's plenty of others still out there, so beware still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bodmar

Had a wonderfully entertaining chat with their guy from their IT support dept. this morning. Said he's from Microsoft. Telling me I had a problem with my computer. What had me really baffled was how he nothing about ''sandboxie'' or TOR browser and my ONION router..Then tried to say my ESET NOD32 was useless....LoL... ..Anyway I enjoyed our chat exposing his lack of knowledge in IT/security....in the end, even he had to laugh.....Guess he wont call again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

bodmar wrote: »
    Had a wonderfully entertaining chat with their guy from their IT support dept. this morning. Said he's from Microsoft. Telling me I had a problem with my computer. What had me really baffled was how he nothing about ''sandboxie'' or TOR browser and my ONION router..Then tried to say my ESET NOD32 was useless....LoL... ..Anyway I enjoyed our chat exposing his lack of knowledge in IT/security....in the end, even he had to laugh.....Guess he wont call again

Oh yes he will, or one of his many call centre colleagues. I have tried all of that, including stating that I am a Microsoft support agent or even that I am an investigator in an international police organisation that is tracking his call. None of that makes any difference because the people making these calls don't care a s**t either way. They are just paid to deal with the calls that result from all the international phone numbers that their automated systems dial.

• Advertisement

I've never had any of them actually say that they are from Microsoft, they've always said Windows Support. The last time I quickly said that I didn't need any double glazing and hung up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

just missed 2 calls from 01 706 1200,looks like i dodged a bullet........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You missed out on being part of a survey ipsos/mrbi.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/017061200/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I missed a call from that number last night. Oddly it was to my mobile and not the landline.
    Edit.
    Seems this is a number registered to the MRBI. Probably just a survey.

Just had a text on my mobile from a 00212 number asking to to ring as they had something urgent to tell me!. First time I've had an obvious scam call on the mobile. Usually they're on the land line.

Didn't ring, of course, but looked up the code and it's from Morocco.

So if anyone else gets one, unless you know someone there, you know what NOT to do.

• Advertisement

Just had a text on my mobile from a 00212 number asking to to ring as they had something urgent to tell me!. First time I've had an obvious scam call on the mobile. Usually they're on the land line.

Didn't ring, of course, but looked up the code and it's from Morocco.

So if anyone else gets one, unless you know someone there, you know what NOT to do.
    But if you don't ring them, how are you going to claim the 15 million you won in the Morocco lottery ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    But if you don't ring them, how are you going to claim the 15 million you won in the Morocco lottery ;)

I got one of these phone calls thursday from a indian speaking man but instead of microsoft it was eircom support centre to tell me they have noticed my pc is infected with viruses, and he is not a scammer. Hanging up on these guys seems to do no good they keep phoneing at least once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The calls aren't from India anymore, they seem to show as Egypt or Switzerland now. Anyway, I got a call blocker thingy off amazon for e20 - sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Unitedfandoc

srsly78 wrote: »
    The calls aren't from India anymore, they seem to show as Egypt or Switzerland now. Anyway, I got a call blocker thingy off amazon for e20 - sorted.

Libya is another it seems. My mom missed a call from +218911871570 on her mobile which I assume has something to do with this scam.

Damn and blast:mad: do you think it's too late for me to ring them now?:confused:.

Damn and blast:mad: do you think it's too late for me to ring them now?:confused:.

Won't bother as I just realised that I didn't buy a ticket. so again I've missed out:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

Don’t fall for tech support scammers offering costly PC cleanup 'solutions'

blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/05/02/don-t-fall-for-tech-support-scammers-offering-costly-pc-cleanup-39-solutions-39.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gaswoman

I just got a call from that number also, didn't answer it....where are they finding our phone numbers, that is what is worrying me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

gaswoman wrote: »
    I just got a call from that number also, didn't answer it....where are they finding our phone numbers, that is what is worrying me....

All phone numbers consist of country code, area code, number.
    Country code and area code are known, that leaves a limited number of 'numbers'. An auto dialler can easily call the whole range and register which ones answer/ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

gaswoman wrote: »

Who do you give it to?

Everyone that asks u for it...shops/insuracnce companies/whoever, they all keep a Database they can then sell on for a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

FSL wrote: »
    All phone numbers consist of country code, area code, number.
    Country code and area code are known, that leaves a limited number of 'numbers'. An auto dialler can easily call the whole range and register which ones answer/ring.

Trouble is they know my name tho' I've never succumbed to their scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Ive had a few of theses calls and i just play along for a while pretending to be a complete newb on the pc, they usually just hang up on me after a few minutes. Different number every time.

The last time they rang i didn't say anything until they spoke..i then roared down the phone as loud as i could. The calls have stopped for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Libya is another it seems. My mom missed a call from +218911871570 on her mobile which I assume has something to do with this scam.

Just missed a call from this exact same number...
    Which is in Libya! I'm pretty sure it's probably some sort of scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Got a call from +212912126850 today , on my mobile too so I can block at least. Raging they have my number now, it's like getting the black plague or sumtin. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AMG999222

Both my parents got the Libyan calls today.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Just had a missed call from the number 01-7061200. I tried to answer but it must have gone by time I hung up, thankfully I didn't get them. How do these scammers get your number and is there still a possibility that cuz they have got your mobile number, they can hack your laptop or get access to your mobile internet still. I didn't answer so didn't give any info away but googled the number and came across this.

bs2014 wrote: »
    Just had a missed call from the number 01-7061200. I tried to answer but it must have gone by time I hung up, thankfully I didn't get them. How do these scammers get your number and is there still a possibility that cuz they have got your mobile number, they can hack your laptop or get access to your mobile internet still. I didn't answer so didn't give any info away but googled the number and came across this.
    That's not a scam. That number belongs to MRBI surveys. Google the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishhh

does anyone know about 0238663600? I am getting calls from this number many a times.. when i ring back it says it is a bordgais number but it always says currently it is not available and asks us to leave the name and number.. i searched on google and it says it is a scam. is there a place where we can report of calls from such numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

That's not a scam. That number belongs to MRBI surveys. Google the number.

I did google it and MRBI doesn't come up.

• Advertisement

bs2014 wrote: »
    I did google it and MRBI doesn't come up.

http://ie.tellows.net/num/017061200

Advertisement