Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Oh ffs. How do we have 20 CBs in the squad and none of them available????

Maguie - injured (?)
    Bailly - injured (?)
    Joines - not registed - great use of fooking wages
    Rojo - not registered - great use of fooking wages.

TFM, Lindelof and Shaw in a back 3? Can't see how we could go with a flat back 4 in this circumstance.

McT has been playing in a back 3 for Scotland lately. Maybe him. Tho neither of TFM or McT in defence give me confidence against Neymar/Mbappe/Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If Maguire is out , it’ll be interesting to see who Ole gives the captain armband too. Obvious fan choice is Bruno but I could see Ole giving it to De Gea or maybe even Rashford

He gave it to Harry when he was only in the door and had shown no leadership qualities, Bruno is there almost 10 months now and is a natural leader, hopefully he makes the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

A win tomorrow and suddenly its a good start to the season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,278 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He gave it to Harry when he was only in the door and had shown no leadership qualities, Bruno is there almost 10 months now and is a natural leader, hopefully he makes the right decision.

We don't know what leadership qualites Maguire has or has not shown round the club. everything that is written about him inidates he has shown great leadership qualities around the club, since the day he signed. Could all be PR BS, but it is written. More so than 'No leadership qualities'.

Who else was Ole going to give it too?

DDG, Shaw, AWB, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, Pereira, Rashford, Martial, Lingard. The other players of the first 11 at the time.

I'd have made an argument for McTominay, to be fair. But that would seem poor now given he isn't first choice.

DDG was the only other viable candidate, imo. Pogba being the other likely option from a club perspective and we know how that would have gone down.

Also, Maguire being an Ole signing, and the first proper signing of the 'new era' of United made sense as captain, imo. A player without the Moyes/LVG/Jose baggage.

We don't know what leadership qualites Maguire has or has not shown round the club. everything that is written about him inidates he has shown great leadership qualities around the club, since the day he signed. Could all be PR BS, but it is written. More so than 'No leadership qualities'.

Who else was Ole going to give it too?

DDG, Shaw, AWB, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, Pereira, Rashford, Martial, Lingard. The other players of the first 11 at the time.

I'd have made an argument for McTominay, to be fair. But that would seem poor now given he isn't first choice.

DDG was the only other viable candidate, imo. Pogba being the other likely option from a club perspective and we know how that would have gone down.

Also, Maguire being an Ole signing, and the first proper signing of the 'new era' of United made sense as captain, imo. A player without the Moyes/LVG/Jose baggage.

True but I'm basing it on what I've seen onfield, I've rarely (never) seen Harry get stuck into team mates for not doing their jobs, obviously given the position Bruno plays he is easier to see covering masses of ground and nearly always harrying opposition players.

Bruno is also much better on front of an interviewer although I wouldn't hold that against HM, some are just more comfortable than others at it.

True but I'm basing it on what I've seen onfield, I've rarely (never) seen Harry get stuck into team mates for not doing their jobs, obviously given the position Bruno plays he is easier to see covering masses of ground and nearly always harrying opposition players.

Bruno is also much better on front of an interviewer although I wouldn't hold that against HM, some are just more comfortable than others at it.

Bruno wasn't at the club when Young left and Maguire was named captain.

Bruno wasn't at the club when Young left and Maguire was named captain.

I didn't say he was tbf. Just that from what I've of both, Bruno looks a more logical captain. Its moot anyway as Ole would never take it from HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nobody deserves it more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bailly injured? Well that's the shock of the century in fairness.

Maguire out too poses an issue though, who partners Lindelof? Who's fit?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This is coming only two games after he reportedly had harsh words to part with in the dressing room at half-time against Spurs. If that happened and if it was a bad thing, he wouldn't be getting the armband.

Bruno seems to get the club and what is expected of players who wear the shirt. Some lads are there on holidays, Bruno is there to try and bring United back to the top. Hopefully he'll drag some of the wasters along kicking and screaming if he has to.

He is more than filling the void that Herrera left in my heart. Speaking of which, not looking forward to watching him shíthousing about the place tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I think Ole might go for a back 5 tomorrow possibly like this:

DDG
    AWB - TFM - Lindelof - Shaw - Telles
    Matic - Pogba
    Bruno
    Martial - Rashford

Another alternative that wouldn't surprise me is if he stuck with a back 4 but kept McTominay & Fred together in front of the defence as they seem to work alright together. Like this:

DDG
    AWB - Lindelof - Shaw - Telles
    McTominay - Fred
    Bruno - Pogba
    Martial - Rashford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Selling Smalling looking like a great plan.

I know Tuanzebe was hoped to be a player to step up, that made sense in a Europa season to give him a shot but he missed so much time with injury since.

Tuanzebe or TFM might have to play now. Could go with AWB, Lindelof and Shaw I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DM_7 wrote: »

I know Tuanzebe was hoped to be a player to step up, that made sense in a Europa season to give him a shot but he missed so much time with injury since.

Tuanzebe or TFM might have to play now. Could go with AWB, Lindelof and Shaw I suppose.

We have our secret weapon, a man that's known to all for his ruthless aggression, nope I'm not talking John Cena but a man thats the definition of you cannot see me as he's always injured or just crap and that man is Phil Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

DM_7 wrote: »

Tuanzebe has a total of 60 minutes of PL football under his belt.
    Can't remember if he started any Europa games.

Its madness we have Rojo still eating up a large salary. And yet NOT available for selection in games like this!

Will probably be TFM and Victor at CB.
    With two defensive midfielders in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Headshot wrote: »
    We have our secret weapon, a man that's known to all for his ruthless aggression, nope I'm not talking John Cena but a man thats the definition of you cannot see me as he's always injured or just crap and that man is Phil Jones

Jones isn't eligible
    Ole left him out of the CL squad......for obvious reasons:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Jones isn't eligible
    Ole left him out of the CL squad......for obvious reasons:-)

so "you cannot see me" is quite apt for Jones then

Not feeling great about Paris at all, but then again I was feeling even less sure about it the last time.

At least the last time, we had first team defenders available. We had a 'plan B' available, and it was Lukaku who scored a brace that night.

I just don't feel good about it at all. I sense some vengeance on the cards for PSG, and a hockeying for us similar to Spurs.

Hope I'm wrong, especially since it's the first of hopefully many times Bruno will lead the team out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Not feeling great about Paris at all, but then again I was feeling even less sure about it the last time.

At least the last time, we had first team defenders available. We had a 'plan B' available, and it was Lukaku who scored a brace that night.

I just don't feel good about it at all. I sense some vengeance on the cards for PSG, and a hockeying for us similar to Spurs.

Hope I'm wrong, especially since it's the first of hopefully many times Bruno will lead the team out.

Given the issues at centre back, a bad beating is certainly a possibility. Worse case scenario, along with the Spurs result, and then a loss against Chelsea would Ole be given the sack?

I think he will be around until it a top 4 finish is mathematically ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

He has played Shaw in a back 3 has he not. Leave room for Telles and AWB on wings. Still have a 3 man midfield and then 2 up front?

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Given the issues at centre back, a bad beating is certainly a possibility. Worse case scenario, along with the Spurs result, and then a loss against Chelsea would Ole be given the sack?

We have Chelsea and Arsenal in the league the next two games, lose them along with a poor CL start then he will be under alot of pressure. We have Everton too i think after Arsenal.

Dave0301 wrote: »

We have PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig and Arsenal for our next 4 games. If that run goes particularly badly, I could see Ole getting the sack and Top 4 not mattering.

I reckon the unlikely Palace defeat and the Spurs smashing have him on thinner ice as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

We have PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig and Arsenal for our next 4 games. If that run goes particularly badly, I could see Ole getting the sack and Top 4 not mattering.

I reckon the unlikely Palace defeat and the Spurs smashing have him on thinner ice as it is.

Considering the club's yearly ambition is CL qualification, they won't replace Ole until that's gone surely baring being fuked under the bus as they say.

Considering the club's yearly ambition is CL qualification, they won't replace Ole until that's gone surely baring being fuked under the bus as they say.

Fair point.

Given recent history with managers, the club are more likely to dither and prolong than be swift and decisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Delighted too see Bruno as skipper. Seems a natural leader

Looking forward to the game later, not expecting to get a result so a point would be great, the performance however is what is key. Would love to see Mata start with Bruno, we will likely get alot more space against PSG than we did against Newcastle and a strong showing from us, even if we don't get anything out of the game would set us up well for Chelsea at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It'll be interesting to see if Mata starts. He wouldn't quite fit into the usual counter attacking plans.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if Mata starts. He wouldn't quite fit into the usual counter attacking plans.

I don't think he will, mainly because I reckon we are going to have a very defensive line up.

DDG
    ----TFM--Lindelof--Shaw
    AWB
    Telles
    Matic--McTominay
    Bruno
    Rashford-Martial

Given we are without Bailly and Maguire, I can't see how we don't go 5 at the back. I reckon Matic has to start and the question of his partner is down to McT or (wrongly, imo) Pobga.

My personal choice would be team above with VDB in for McT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

be interesting to see how AWB deals with neymar. hopefully a good battle.

i've said before that i think AWB is too quick to go to ground. just hopefully nothing rash tonight in the box vs a squirmy neymar

Will be interesting to see the tactics. Not sure he will go with 5 at the back TBH. Time training has been limited especially if trying to bed Telles in. I don't think he will start. I also think Matic is out of favour at the moment after being taken off vs Spurs and dropped at the weekend. Would like to see Mata play but hard to see him, Bruno & Pogba play in the same team from a defensive point of view.

I assume Pogba will start given the opposition.

be interesting to see how AWB deals with neymar. hopefully a good battle.

i've said before that i think AWB is too quick to go to ground. just hopefully nothing rash tonight in the box vs a squirmy neymar

He's been up all night arguing with women on snapchat by the looks of it, must be running on a few hour sleep :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't think he will, mainly because I reckon we are going to have a very defensive line up.

DDG
    ----TFM--Lindelof--Shaw
    AWB
    Telles
    Matic--McTominay
    Bruno
    Rashford-Martial

Given we are without Bailly and Maguire, I can't see how we don't go 5 at the back. I reckon Matic has to start and the question of his partner is down to McT or (wrongly, imo) Pobga.

My personal choice would be team above with VDB in for McT.

I think it'll be 2 of Fred, McTom and Pogba for the 2 spots. I'd go for the first 2 but can see it being Fred and Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

I wondered recently would it be worth trying AWB as a right sided CB in a 3 at the back.
    He doesn't offer much going forward with a reluctance to take on a man and poor final ball.
    However his tackling is excellent. I think its just a question of whether he has the discipline and awareness to play in a back 3. Good defensive coaching could enable this.
    Another question mark I have over him is whether he has pace and I still haven't figured it out.
    Sometimes he looks quick when he's attacking but a lot of times when tracking back he looks like he's running in toffee.

Brandon Williams played a lot in the RB/RWB position for the youth teams and I think he has better energy for the position than AWB. If I was going 3 at the back tonight I would be going with.

DDG

AWB Lindelof Tuanzebe/TFM

Williams Telles

McTominay Fred

Mata Bruno

Rashford

The midfield would really need to support the wing backs when attacking.
    I think McTominay and Freds energy would be needed over Matic/Pogba.
    Bruno and Mata have been linking up well and Martial has not got going at all so far this season.
    To be honest I don't think I have seen enough of VDB to have him starting in this game but think he is perfect replacement for Mata around the 60/70 minute mark.

I think this is more likely to be the team we see:

DDG

AWB TFM Lindelof Shaw

Pogba Matic

Mata Bruno Rashford

Martial

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I don’t want to get my hopes up too much but be interesting to see Bruno tonight.

Already a vocal player but now with the armband I’d say he’s pumped up and may take it on another level.

Hope I’m right but if he puts in a true captains performance no doubt Ole has to think about if he deserves it full time. Don’t think he’d take it off Maguire with all the things about him recently but who knows.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I don’t want to get my hopes up too much but be interesting to see Bruno tonight.

Already a vocal player but now with the armband I’d say he’s pumped up and may take it on another level.

Hope I’m right but if he puts in a true captains performance no doubt Ole has to think about if he deserves it full time. Don’t think he’d take it off Maguire with all the things about him recently but who knows.

100% doubt, all the doubt, loads of it.

I can't see any way Ole considers taking the captaincy off Maguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Taking the captaincy off Maguire would end his United career.

You don't need a captains armband to be a leader on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

All things being equal, there's no reason Maguire should ever get the armband back of Bruno.
    As someone mentioned recently, he seems to just 'get' the club and has the best mentality of anyone in the squad.

• Advertisement

Loomis wrote: »
    All things being equal, there's no reason Maguire should ever get the armband back of Bruno.
    As someone mentioned recently, he seems to just 'get' the club and has the best mentality of anyone in the squad.

The reasons is: he is club captain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sky saying us and Liverpool are in talks to leave the CL and join a FIFA backed superleague.

Glazers will be thrilled. Never having to worry bout making top four again, no fear of missing out on sponsorship money. Cash for days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sky saying us and Liverpool are in talks to leave the CL and join a FIFA backed superleague.

Glazers will be thrilled. Never having to worry bout making top four again, no fear of missing out on sponsorship money. Cash for days!

No chance of them leaving anytime soon so. Between that and the next attempt at Project Big Picture, there is massive money to be had.
    They'll be putting new kitchens in every room of their mansions.

Seriously though if they don't invest properly in the team we'll be left in the dust by every other team in that league who do care about trying to win.

Interesting that the club can work on multiple deals at the same time when they want to.

New Uefa CL format to be agreed in the next few months.
    Threats of big clubs leaving the CL.

paint me shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think the fact Utd are interested in this new adventure at all tells us all we need to know about where this club is going. RIP Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rojo in

Jones and Romero out

PL Squad.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Rojo in

Jones and Romero out

PL Squad.

imo Rojo makes sense if we are looking at a back 3/5. Rojo can play LCB, and LWB.

Don't expect him to play - but as someone had to be picked, it makese sense that it is Rojo.

Laughable that we are paying Jones and Romero to do litteraly nothing. Well done Woody.

without relegation or removal of teams, it doesn't seem a good idea. How do you leave out the likes of Ajax for example?

Wonder if in time their plan would be expand it to two leagues and then into a knockout comp between the top 8 in each? If that was succesful you could keep adding new teams into the mix and increase the number of leagues formats as needed.

Might be tough logistically though, so would probably won't to keep teams close together in leagues. Probably would makse sense to do it geographically - so you might have a French and Spanish sides in the same league.

If it really took off you might have too many teams though - so i guess you'd look at just having all the french teams in one league and english teams in another. Could decide how many teams from the top of each go into the knockouts based on the historial strength of the league.

• Advertisement

Ole's treatment of him seems very poor.

From dropping him without warning vs Seville through to this.

A poor way to treat him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement