If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amplifier recommendation

Options
  • 16-10-2020 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭

HI,

I'm looking for an amplifier but wouldn't have too much of a clue about what I need tbh.  We've moved into a house recently that has 6 speakers in the ceiling.  We would like an amplifier that could play tv sound through them and also link up with bluetooth principally.  Perhaps other audio devices but that is not essential at the moment.

What would you recommend?

Many thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

greendom wrote: »
    HI,

I'm looking for an amplifier but wouldn't have too much of a clue about what I need tbh.  We've moved into a house recently that has 6 speakers in the ceiling.  We would like an amplifier that could play tv sound through them and also link up with bluetooth principally.  Perhaps other audio devices but that is not essential at the moment.

What would you recommend?

Many thanks
    Hi Greendom.

Thanks for the post.

You could check out the Denon AVRX550BT which is a 5.1 home cinema receiver and will allow you to connect 5 of them up for home cinema. (Front left and right, Centre and rear left and right).
    It also has a sub input if you ever wanted to add a subwoofer for more bass.

The 550BT also has bluetooth so you can stream music to the receiver. You would connect it to your TV via HDMI ARC (Provided you TV has this feature, pretty much all TV's over the last 4 years should have this)

It will also have spare HDMI ports so you can connect a games console, 4K player or set top box to it and also phono inputs if you wanted to add a turntable or CD player further down the line.

It is currently priced at £279 or 299 Euro
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203321-denon-avrx550bt-av-receiver.aspx

You are free to pay in which ever currency works out to be cheapest for you.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thanks so much for getting back to me Kenny. Great piece of kit.

Is it possible to get an amp that could connect to all 6 ceiling speakers. It seems a bit of a pity to have one going to waste!

Thanks again

• Company Representative Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi greendom

Thanks for the post and I hope you are keeping well during these crazy times.

Can I just ask what the lay out of these speakers are.  For home cinima you would have three at the front for left, centre and right, and then two mounted at the rear of the room.

Av amps tend to run either 5, 7, or 9 speakers depending on the model and the spec.  If you went for a 7 channel amp and only connected up 6 speakers the sound stage would sound very strange

Regards Stephen

Hi greendom

Can I just ask what the lay out of these speakers are.  For home cinima you would have three at the front for left, centre and right, and then two mounted at the rear of the room.

Av amps tend to run either 5, 7, or 9 speakers depending on the model and the spec.  If you went for a 7 channel amp and only connected up 6 speakers the sound stage would sound very strange

Regards Stephen

They run along the kitchen ceiling, 3 on the left 3 on the right. A set of 4 in the living/dining area and another 2 in the kitchen area. I suppose the one to sacrifice would be in the kitchen area. Is there a way of splitting the 5th cable so the sound could be heard in 2 speakers?

Hi greendom

Regards Stephen

They run along the kitchen ceiling, 3 on the left 3 on the right.  A set of 4 in the living/dining area and another 2 in the kitchen area. I suppose the one to sacrifice would be in the kitchen area. Is there a way of splitting the 5th cable so the sound could be heard in 2 speakers?
    Hi Greendom,

Apologies for the dleay getting back to you!

I wouldn't recommend running two sets of speakers off the one amplification channel.

One way you could do it is with a speaker switch between two sets of speakers. This will allow you to run 4 speakers from the one amplifier channel. Something like the QED SS20 at £59.95. You could then use any amp with a 4 speaker output! I would recommend something like the Yamaha RN602 which has network streaming and Bluetooth as well.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201953-yamaha-rn602-black-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Really appreciate the advice.  Just wondering is there another model that is a bit cheaper perhaps?

Many thanks

Really appreciate the advice.  Just wondering is there another model that is a bit cheaper perhaps?

Many thanks
    No problem Greendom,

You could also look at the RN303D which is a great streaming amp as well!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202841-yamaha-rn303d-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.