Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drug use on the job

• 19-10-2020 3:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Will minor drug use be an issue when working for most companies? I'm talking about things like using weed, benzos, or opiates when working that aren't prescribed to you.

I've heard drug testing isn't really a thing in Ireland with the exception of the American MNC's.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It all depends on if it changes how you perform etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It will be if it's part of their policy / in your contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭con747

You want to know is it alright to go to work after taking illegal drugs that would compromise your ability to carry out most jobs unless your testing mattresses or lazy boy chairs. Another great thread :rolleyes:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Just tell the boss to be cool and chill out and see how your boss takes that answer if they ask you....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Drug testing is not a thing in Ireland. It's fraught with legal issues around employment law and the right to privacy.

In short, what you do in your spare time is none of the company's business and they are not entitled to ask. It only becomes an issue if it may affect the reputation of the company, your ability to do your job, or is a conflict of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

seamus wrote: »
    Drug testing is not a thing in Ireland. It's fraught with legal issues around employment law and the right to privacy.

In short, what you do in your spare time is none of the company's business and they are not entitled to ask. It only becomes an issue if it may affect the reputation of the company, your ability to do your job, or is a conflict of interest.

I have a close friend who failed a urine test for grass on a site with a lot of heavy machinery, he was out the door straight away. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 august2016

My current company are an Irish company and drug test regularly. Every new starter is tested as well as random testing throughout the year so believe me, it does happen in Ireland.

The company I worked in before this one was in the process of buying drug testing equipment and breathalyzers also because of a few reports of lads spending their breaks 'relaxing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One you are not operating heavy machinery you will be grand OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've been tested during induction weeks at American businesses here, haven't seen it besides that but I do know a contractor who's job is to go around testing people at work if there's an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

drug testing (cannabis coke smack) is standard enough for a medical, you need to consent though and refusal means guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

You're incorrect Seamus, plenty of companies require drug testing to adhere to EU safety regulations and you dont have to have a safety critical role to be tested.

In my organisation, any positive test will result in your dismissal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭daheff

Ddad wrote: »
    I have a close friend who failed a urine test for grass on a site with a lot of heavy machinery, he was out the door straight away. It happens.

In some situations like this where somebody operating heavy machinery that can kill or injure somebody, its the right thing to test.

for some lad/lady typing away on the keyboard unlikely to injure somebody, then its a much bigger debate.

Ddad wrote: »

smoke is the worst , 8 days of solid detox or up to a month in your system. the rest are fine ...few days max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Drug testing can be a thing depending on the company you work for and the role you're doing. Not just in American MNC. If you have responsibility for machinery or heavy goods, there will most likely be a clause in your contract that allows your employer to test for drugs if they have a legitimate reason for thinking you may be impaired.
    And while the use may not be happening at work, if it's impacting your work, test or no test, they will likely have a clause that allows them to fire you for illegal activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yet another thread with Fegs thinly veiled attempts at broadcasting his drug use , and using drugs obtained illegally ? (not prescribed for you ) ??

Honestly lad, give it a rest !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

Bananas, is illegal drug use acceptable full stop? Not to mind in a work setting. I got advice on this previously and the advice is to get your employment contract to refer to your employee booklet, you can change sections in the booklet then to reflect changes in health and safety etc. In the employee booklet, you then mention random drug tests and that it is a serious breach and classifies as gross misconduct. You then have to ensure that you randomly get people tested for drugs making sure the suspect is in the random selection. If they fail depending on the risk posed by the person it could result in instant dismissal or more likely you have to offer to help them with rehabilitation, putting them in touch with counselling services etc. Organising time off if necessary to attend sessions and putting it in writing that they have been warned and will now have to do another random drug test or tests to ensure that they are adhering to company policy. This is a defense in case of unfair dismissal or you may want to keep a good worker or genuinely help the person out. But if they are impaired at work you cannot allow them to continue for health and safety of co workers and themselves but also precident to other employees.

BMHOPE wrote: »
    Bananas, is illegal drug use acceptable full stop? Not to mind in a work setting. I got advice on this previously and the advice is to get your employment contract to refer to your employee booklet, you can change sections in the booklet then to reflect changes in health and safety etc. In the employee booklet, you then mention random drug tests and that it is a serious breach and classifies as gross misconduct. You then have to ensure that you randomly get people tested for drugs making sure the suspect is in the random selection. If they fail depending on the risk posed by the person it could result in instant dismissal or more likely you have to offer to help them with rehabilitation, putting them in touch with counselling services etc. Organising time off if necessary to attend sessions and putting it in writing that they have been warned and will now have to do another random drug test or tests to ensure that they are adhering to company policy. This is a defense in case of unfair dismissal or you may want to keep a good worker or genuinely help the person out. But if they are impaired at work you cannot allow them to continue for health and safety of co workers and themselves but also precident to other employees.

i wonder could cannabis be challenged? Not for a new job obviously but if weed can stay in your system (urine) for months, and you set up testing to catch one person and he said he had a spliff 2 weeks ago, might be challengeable in court. For in work random testing the garda saliva test is bullet proof. I means you taken coke or smoke in the previous hours.

Advertisement