Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

The next two events are both restricted fields, so I expect he’ll play in both.

Hopefully, his putting touch will come back and he’ll string four decent rounds together in one or both of these events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I didn't expect him to be playing this week, hopefully a good performance. he had some great shots at the weekend. A bad Saturday cost him, think he would have performed better on the Sunday if he was still leading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just can't seem to get going in the US.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Nice round going today

I see that Shane is not in the field for this week’s tournament. Presumably he would have been entitled to a slot if he wanted one. I can’t find anything online about it.

Does anyone know why he’s not playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

abff wrote: »
    I see that Shane is not in the field for this week’s tournament. Presumably he would have been entitled to a slot if he wanted one. I can’t find anything online about it.

He said on Instagram hes been away from family for 12 of last 13 weeks so wont play till the Masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Mushy wrote: »
    He said on Instagram hes been away from family for 12 of last 13 weeks so wont play till the Masters

Am I correct that Lowry's family is based in Ireland?

Assuming that is correct, I'd be curious how much his practice routine changes given the closures.

I know from a couple of podcasts that he's not particularly enthused by Trackman so I'm curious how he'll prepare himself.

Am I correct that Lowry's family is based in Ireland?

Assuming that is correct, I'd be curious how much his practice routine changes given the closures.

I know from a couple of podcasts that he's not particularly enthused by Trackman so I'm curious how he'll prepare himself.

I'd say he is probably having a bit of a break and will be heading back stateside well in advance of the Masters to prepare for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

abff wrote:
    I'd imagine he's totally focused on the Masters at this stage.
    Practice and maybe play in Houston.
    DeChambeau and Koepka aren't there either. DJ not there but I don't think he'd have a choice.

Exactly wrote: »
    I'd say he is probably having a bit of a break and will be heading back stateside well in advance of the Masters to prepare for it.

I suspect as much, I just wonder if the closures have changed his initial plans.

Perhaps he had something planned in anticipation for courses remaining opened but they have now been rearranged.

You'd hate to think that his prep was interrupted as a result of the closures.

• Advertisement

I suspect as much, I just wonder if the closures have changed his initial plans.

Perhaps he had something planned in anticipation for courses remaining opened but they have now been rearranged.

You'd hate to think that his prep was interrupted as a result of the closures.

I'd imagine he could make the assertion to be an elite sportsman :D and get out to play somewhere if he wished or practice even.

Exactly wrote: »
    I'd imagine he could make the assertion to be an elite sportsman :D and get out to play somewhere if he wished or practice even.

Elite mehole, sure he doesn't even play county ya clown ;)

I'm hopeful he gets a run in Augusta, Westwood is my outside pick so clearly I know nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm sure he could drop down to Harington's house for a few lessons.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Didn't know where else to post this, does anyone know what Golf shoe Lowry currently uses? is it the Footjoy Icon?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

etxp wrote: »
    Didn't know where else to post this, does anyone know what Golf shoe Lowry currently uses? is it the Footjoy Icon?

1st result on google....

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/shane-lowry-witb/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

jaysus i hope he is not still wearing the same pair of shoes a year and a half later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I doubt he'd still be wearing them a week and a half later!!

I bloody looked at that link and couldn't see it before posting :(

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

4 birdies in a row

Up to T2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

The Champion Golfer is 8 under and on a charge but the TV producers haven’t noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 BrandNewMedium

searay wrote: »
    The Champion Golfer is 8 under and on a charge but the TV producers haven’t noticed.

Sky are only showing featured groups which is why he hasn’t been on. Just took bogey on 10 but still in the mix.

searay wrote: »

He isnt in one of the feature groups. They will only start to cover once the US TV broadcast starts

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BrandNewMedium

Following on the PGA app his driving is below where he would want it at 54% but his approach play has been excellent which bodes well for Augusta where, as we know, accurate approach is the key alongside putting.

Back to back bogeys, think his race is run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

etxp wrote: »
    Back to back bogeys, think his race is run.

Recovered with a birdie. Not going to win but good to see him playing well leading into the masters.

Missed a makeable birdie on 15 and sin e

Hope he holds on for top 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Meltdown on 16. Won’t finish top 10 now.

Edit; T-11 in the clubhouse. Good week overall but disappointing back 9.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Anyone know what happened on the 16th, 92 yards from the hole and he only hit it 48 yards and in the water according to the PGA app

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Paired with Tiger for the opening two rounds of The Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Paired with Tiger for the opening two rounds of The Masters.

Hopefully he can learn something from Tiger over the first two rounds, nobody know the place better. Only problem is neither of them are on the top of their game at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

-3 second round means he makes the cut at -1. Cut at evens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

Out with Tiger again today.

There’s amazing coverage on www.masters.com. You can click on a player's name and see every shot they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

abff wrote: »
    There’s amazing coverage on www.masters.com. You can click on a player's name and see every shot they play.

Better late than never 😌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Shane about Tiger's 10 on the 12th at the Masters
    "Anytime he hit a bad drive he’d say to his caddy, 'Ah there was like one of yours Joey'.

"We were stood on the 13th tee and my caddy Bo Martin said to me, I wonder what he’d say if I said to him, 'I bet you wished Joey had hit that one'. But I couldn’t say that to him. I bottled it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shane needs to seriously look at where he is right now with his game.He has been very poor most of the time since he won the Open. I may be wrong, but only one top ten finish.Hope he can turn it around and start competing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Shane needs to seriously look at where he is right now with his game.He has been very poor most of the time since he won the Open. I may be wrong, but only one top ten finish.Hope he can turn it around and start competing again.

Nobody is happy with his performance since The Open , but definitely is going in the right direction now.

He just finished 25th in the Masters , he is not exactly struggling on the Swiss alps tour.

Definitely trending the right way now. People need ro remember we have very few players from the Republic of Ireland that ever compete at the top level, never mind majors and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Topsy turvey round from Shane yesterday on PGA Tour event.

Starting on the 10th he only had one par in his first nine holes, with 5 birdies
    including 3 in a row and 3 bogeys.

On the second nine he had 3 birdies in a row again and a double bogey at a par
    five.

Just 6 pars in 18 holes.

He has had 1 top 10 on the US tour and a runner up finish in SA since he won the Open. He has also finished between 11th and 15th on 8 occasions, so it’s not all bad. But definitely not as good as his fans would have hoped for after his Open win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look at the winners on the PGA tour since lockdown, outside of Sergio Garcia and Carlos Ortiz they are all full time resident in the US. In the last two normal seasons on the PGA tour you had many winners who weren't resident there.
    In Europe I think Tyrrell Hatton is the only top 50 golfer in the world rankings to win a tournament.

Times are tough even for golfers because of travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Shane out of the blocks fast -2 after 4 do be walking off 11 +4.

Strange from Shane for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Shane needs to get going here to make the cut

Needs 1 if not 2 shots on last few holes

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Bogey on the par 5 there, that's him done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Looks like another missed cut

Looks like another missed cut

Not looks like...it is a missed cut unless John Wayne is planning to be out in the morning with a rifle and take out some golfers

Bad day for Shane.

Just a whole bunch of meh from him since he won the open. Really hasn’t pushed on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

fullstop wrote: »
    Just a whole bunch of meh from him since he won the open. Really hasn’t pushed on at all.

What did people really expect of him, he wasn't exactly winning all round him prior to it

Conditions etc clicked for him that weekend and no one else

What did people really expect of him, he wasn't exactly winning all round him prior to it

Conditions etc clicked for him that weekend and no one else

Don’t know what ‘people’ expected, but personally would have expected it to give him a boost and put a bit of a run together. he should have been threatening Ryder Cup this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement