Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Broadband Model help / replacement suggestions

• 08-05-2020 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

Looking for assistance in regards to EIR Broadband.
    We have Eir Fibre with up to a max of 100Mbps download and 20Mbps Upload speeds.

Moved back to Eir recently (Feb) and they sent us the new EIR Fibre Router. However, it wasn't working right. Would allow some devices to connect and others not at all.
    Then the connected devices would lose connection.

I switched back to the EIR F2000 Modem that we got years ago and that is working .
    However, one of the Ethernet ports seems to be non-functional.

Works most of the time but the wifi can drop. Also, ethernet connections over TP Link Power cables normally work fine but they drop as well and can be gone for like 20 mins unless I restart the router.
    Also noticed recently that the time it takes to load up pages can stall and even google chrome home page with icon can take seconds. Sometimes devices can see the Eir 2.4GHZ but when they try to connect - get an error saying unable to connect to network at the moment - try again later.

Just bought a new F2000 Modem off adverts so going to try that out to see if it makes any difference overall!

Anyhow, looking for advice on MESH systems / replacement routers and if they are worth the money.

I found a page a while back where it talked about replacing the Eir F2000 with the Netgear Orbi system, - see pixelbeatdotcom
    However, that system is €460 and gets some bad reviews on YT and amazon.

Looking for advise on how to improve our WIFI, have max speeds down and up on all the devices at any location. No drops in Wifi or ethernet connected.
    Our house is only 1400 sq ft - dormer - 4 bedrooms.
    F2000 is currently in the front room.
    Walls are quite thick - concreted build.
    Lot of devices connected 20+ - gaming, streaming, working from home,,,, lot of access.

Is it best to replace the Modem with a better one - if yes, are there guides on what to do for novices on boards ?
    Should you invest in a mesh system and if money isn't an issue - what is the consensus on the best to use here on boards ?
    If you do get a mesh system, is it best to replace the F2000 with the router - like the NETGEAR ORBI Router?

Any help , links, suggestions appreciated ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Zorton wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for assistance in regards to EIR Broadband.
    We have Eir Fibre with up to a max of 100Mbps download and 20Mbps Upload speeds.

Moved back to Eir recently (Feb) and they sent us the new EIR Fibre Router. However, it wasn't working right. Would allow some devices to connect and others not at all.
    Then the connected devices would lose connection.

I switched back to the EIR F2000 Modem that we got years ago and that is working .
    However, one of the Ethernet ports seems to be non-functional.

Works most of the time but the wifi can drop. Also, ethernet connections over TP Link Power cables normally work fine but they drop as well and can be gone for like 20 mins unless I restart the router.
    Also noticed recently that the time it takes to load up pages can stall and even google chrome home page with icon can take seconds. Sometimes devices can see the Eir 2.4GHZ but when they try to connect - get an error saying unable to connect to network at the moment - try again later.

Just bought a new F2000 Modem off adverts so going to try that out to see if it makes any difference overall!

Anyhow, looking for advice on MESH systems / replacement routers and if they are worth the money.

I found a page a while back where it talked about replacing the Eir F2000 with the Netgear Orbi system, - see pixelbeatdotcom
    However, that system is €460 and gets some bad reviews on YT and amazon.

Looking for advise on how to improve our WIFI, have max speeds down and up on all the devices at any location. No drops in Wifi or ethernet connected.
    Our house is only 1400 sq ft - dormer - 4 bedrooms.
    F2000 is currently in the front room.
    Walls are quite thick - concreted build.
    Lot of devices connected 20+ - gaming, streaming, working from home,,,, lot of access.

Is it best to replace the Modem with a better one - if yes, are there guides on what to do for novices on boards ?
    Should you invest in a mesh system and if money isn't an issue - what is the consensus on the best to use here on boards ?
    If you do get a mesh system, is it best to replace the F2000 with the router - like the NETGEAR ORBI Router?

Any help , links, suggestions appreciated ?

I wouldn't recommend replacing the Eir modem to extend the WiFi around your house. If you replace the modem, you will need to take on the responsibility of ensuring that your new modem is kept up-to-date with security patches etc. and you may have difficulty configuring certain services such as TV or VOIP on a 3rd party modem.

Go for a Mesh system, and switch off the WiFi in your existing Eir modem. This will ensure seamless handover between the zones in your house. For 1,400 sq feet, you probably need a minimum of 2 zones - but you can add as many as you require with Mesh. If you have Cat5/6 cabling, or if you are willing to run it, then hard-wiring the mesh access points is the ideal. My preference is Ubiquiti Unifi access points, because you can power them over the ethernet cable (POE), so no need for mains power cabling at each access point. However, if you don't have cabling, other mesh systems use wireless backhaul between the access points - TPLink Deco seems to get good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Zorton

I wouldn't recommend replacing the Eir modem to extend the WiFi around your house. If you replace the modem, you will need to take on the responsibility of ensuring that your new modem is kept up-to-date with security patches etc. and you may have difficulty configuring certain services such as TV or VOIP on a 3rd party modem.

Go for a Mesh system, and switch off the WiFi in your existing Eir modem. This will ensure seamless handover between the zones in your house. For 1,400 sq feet, you probably need a minimum of 2 zones - but you can add as many as you require with Mesh. If you have Cat5/6 cabling, or if you are willing to run it, then hard-wiring the mesh access points is the ideal. My preference is Ubiquiti Unifi access points, because you can power them over the ethernet cable (POE), so no need for mains power cabling at each access point. However, if you don't have cabling, other mesh systems use wireless backhaul between the access points - TPLink Deco seems to get good reviews.

Thank you - I decided to try out the " Huawei WiFi Q2 Pro Wi-Fi System (3-Pack) " system which I ordered.
    I don't have CAT 5 Cabling installed - just use TP Powerlinks over the house elec cabling.
    House was built in 2002 so works quite well but does drop sometimes for no apparent reason.
    Hopefully the mesh system will arrive some time next week and will try them out to see if they help at all.
    Will report back with findings ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ThisCharmingIce

Thank you - I decided to try out the " Huawei WiFi Q2 Pro Wi-Fi System (3-Pack) " system which I ordered.
    I don't have CAT 5 Cabling installed - just use TP Powerlinks over the house elec cabling.
    House was built in 2002 so works quite well but does drop sometimes for no apparent reason.
    Hopefully the mesh system will arrive some time next week and will try them out to see if they help at all.
    Will report back with findings ..

Hi Zorton

Just wondering how you got on?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Zorton

Hi Zorton

Just wondering how you got on?

Thanks

I tried it out and it was fine but didn't really resolvbe the issues I had been experiencing.
    Also, I seemed to get lower speeds with the mesh system in certain areas.

I tried another Router (TP LINK) and no joy.
    Eventually bought a new F3000 Modem and all my issues were resolved.
    The two F2000 I had been interchanging seem to have been the issue.

Have been using the F3000 for about a month now and only had to reboot once so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ThisCharmingIce

I tried it out and it was fine but didn't really resolvbe the issues I had been experiencing.
    Also, I seemed to get lower speeds with the mesh system in certain areas.

I tried another Router (TP LINK) and no joy.
    Eventually bought a new F3000 Modem and all my issues were resolved.
    The two F2000 I had been interchanging seem to have been the issue.

Have been using the F3000 for about a month now and only had to reboot once so far.

Okay cool - good to hear

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement