Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Nintendo Switch Games for a 9 year old

Options
  • 12-10-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi
    I am looking to get my son a Nintendo Switch for Christmas. Can anyone advise on the best games to get for this age group? New to this, so would appreciate advice.

Thanks
    OG

Comments

Can't go wrong with Zelda Breath of the Wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

Super Mario Odyssey. Absolutely brilliant. Don't get swayed by Mario 3D All-stars (yet). This is the definitive Switch Mario adventure. And it's one of the cheaper Nintendo first party games. Pure joy.

Super Mario Kart. This game that keeps on giving.

Zelda breath of the wild is officially 12 cert. So might be slightly scary in places or maybe too involved for a 9 year old. Have a look at a video review online and see what's suitable for your kid. But it's definitely the best of the best. It's a wonderful family game that can go as deep and wide as you want. Plus, it's incredibly relaxing. If it's raining in the game or getting too intense you can transport yourself to a sunny hillside or a tropical beach.

Rayman Legends is a brilliant 2d platform game. And it's cheap these days. I'd rate it above the recent Mario 2D games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Worth noting that you can also get Fortnite and Rocket League for free. Both have options for in-game purchases (not ideal, particularly Fortnite where you will be hounded for money to buy vBucks and Battle passes on a regular basis), but also have online multiplayer with crossplay (i.e. if friends play the same game but on PC/Xbox/Ps4, they can play together).

Unlike most Switch games with online play, these games don't require Switch Online (a paid subscription service). There are several more free games on Switch (generally with the same model of "the game is free but you can/are encouraged to buy extras with real cash").

It's worth noting that I have no idea how things like ingame communication works for crossplay, since Nintendo's approach for Switch Online is to make you use a smartphone app instead of handling it through the console...

I second the suggestion for Mario Kart - it's a lot of fun, has options to make it easier to play for players who are learning/struggling with it, and if you have a full Switch (the version with the dock and removable controllers, not the Switch Lite) you already have 2 controllers so you can play multiplayer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Off the top of my head:

Minecraft Dungeons, Luigis mansion 3, Minecraft, mario kart, zelda links awakening, Smash Bros

Advertisement