Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for pleasure only / low mileage

Options
  • 02-10-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I have a 2006 car that I use purely for pleasure and not as a daily driver. Maximum use of no more than 5000 kms a year, mostly weekends.

Have insured with one of the main players fully comp for myself and wife (both of whom have own cars too). Insurance a bit steep this time around and wondering if anyone can recommend a broker that might cater for this type of low use pleasure driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Unless it was a classic car (which it’s not) then your stuck with regular insurance and so best thing is just to ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

What do insurers call a classic? 20 years? Older?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ec_pc wrote: »
    What do insurers call a classic? 20 years? Older?

I think it is 20 years actually.

Your use case would fall under the standard "social, domestic, pleasure" option I see on the insurance sites (which I have). This would be fairly common for a non-commuting car I'd imagine. Your annual mileage would match my own - my 07 car has yet to hit 65k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Minimum is 20 years, unless its a Lambo or something............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, best you can probably do is phone them and see if you can get commuting to work excluded and ask if they will note your low annual mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Thanks, Have work commute excluded already. Will shop around the usual suspects I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

ec_pc wrote: »
    Thanks, Have work commute excluded already. Will shop around the usual suspects I guess.

Did you get any better rate?

Advertisement