Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's a good / acceptable energy consumption for a new TV ?

• 03-05-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

Long story short : I would like to get a brand new TV as my current one is showing signs of weaknesses. The criteria of choice to select one would be energy consumption as decreasing our electricity consumption is something my wife and I have been paying close attention in the last months.

Problem is : I have no clue what expected consumption for a TV is "acceptable" or not..I have hit Curry PCs & Harvey Norman and I sawTVs with ranges from 100 kwh/1000 hour to 200 kwh/1000 hours.

The model I have in mind has a HDR consumption of 126 kwh/1000 hours, would that be commonly seen as "high" ?

Thanks a lot !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Well, since no-one more knowledgeable has replied, I'll give my opinion.
    The energy consumption of modern LED/OLED TVs is really quite small.
    I can't imagine anyone seriously using this as their criterion for choosing a set.
    Far more important would be to choose the size and type which suits you, your viewing habits and your room. Things like ease of re-arranging channels, switching inputs, app support, even quality of the remote control seem to influence people much more than power efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I don't disagree with any of the above,

As you may have noticed on your traipse around the shops recently, the EU have put labels with energy ratings on all Televisions, like on Fridges and Washingmachines. A rated being the most efficient and so on down to F/G.

They recently revised the bands so that most common Tv's fall into the worse bands (F and G), presumably to encourage lower energy usage on future models.

A back of the envelope calculation gives an annual electricity usage of maybe fifty euros if you watch hours of TV every day. There are easier ways to save the planet than stressing about which TV you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭con747

I wonder if a few hundred million new high energy using televisions would agree with the above comment. :rolleyes:
    Op if you want a tv that uses a low amount of energy then buy one, as the above poster stated the new EU ratings are on all appliances now so you can see what level it's at.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Slightly off topic... but I don't understand why manufacturers of TV's and all domestic appliances are not forced to put an accessible on/off switch on them.

There are too many devices that just turn to 'standby mode' and still consume power, waiting for an input they are not going to get in the middle of the night, when they should actually be off. The amount of still softly glowing leds that stay on through the night in most homes, is ridiculous.

The brochure will say it is a very low cost per year, but multiplied by millions of standby activities all over the world and it is a waste the planet can not afford.

Why not just offer the easy option of an on/off switch at the front of the device? It worked perfectly well in the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Slightly off topic... but I don't understand why manufacturers of TV's and all domestic appliances are not forced to put an accessible on/off switch on them.

There are too many devices that just turn to 'standby mode' and still consume power, waiting for an input they are not going to get in the middle of the night, when they should actually be off. The amount of still softly glowing leds that stay on through the night in most homes, is ridiculous.

The brochure will say it is a very low cost per year, but multiplied by millions of standby activities all over the world and it is a waste the planet can not afford.

Why not just offer the easy option of an on/off switch at the front of the device? It worked perfectly well in the old days.

Why not unplug or switch off at plug before bed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I do... but I know of many people who don't because of access difficulties. Eg elderly people who can't get to the back of a tangled nest of TV/DVD/Set top box cables to unplug from the mains, or devices that are powered by sockets that are inaccessible behind sofas, dressers etc.

I have standby equipment (without front facing on/off switches) that I can't reach back to and so have set up a remote control mains socket as the originating supply.

Why put people to additional effort when a simple switch on the front of each device is easy and foolproof?

Advertisement