Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

161 Toyota Auris - gears issue

Options
  • 12-11-2019 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 161 Toyota Auris with only ~23k miles on the clock. over the last couple of months I have noticed some issues with the gears, in that the reverse gear won't always go in. I have also noticed same with the 1st and 3rd but less frequent. I press the clutch and move the reverse gear along the neutral and then try to move it into the reverse gear but it won't move in. I need to release the clutch, press clutch again, and then the reverse gear moves in easily.
    It is the same thing with the 1st/3rd gear, but as I said less frequent compared to the reverse. I sometimes also find the 1st/3rd gear a bit stiff while driving.
    the issue is not consistent and seems pretty random. I'm concerned as this should not be happening a car so young with such low mileage! I need to make an appointment with Toyota garage, but am a bit skeptical that they will be able replicate the issue (seeing as it's a bit random), or even find a resolution. I've about 18 months left on the warranty.

any insights that might help me, or prepare me in dealing with the garage?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Moving from reverse to 1st and vice versa you need to disengage the clutch on Toyota gearboxes otherwise it can be difficult to get gear.

Hard to explain process but - Press clutch - disengage forward gear - release clutch - press clutch - engage reverse. Once you do this it will slide in nicely. I think you are explaining this process in your post OP

Not a fault - normal operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Sin1981

ok.... how do you explain the following: I'm stopped at lights in traffic, and gears are in neutral, I then proceed to move off, press clutch to move into 1st, but it won't go into gear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Sounds like a normal case of gear abutment which every gearbox has were gears wont mesh together as they are slightly too close in formation. Usually gets a bit better when the gears wear but to overcome just select another higher gear and re-select your original intended gear . Nothing to worry about usually

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Sin1981 wrote: »
    ok.... how do you explain the following: I'm stopped at lights in traffic, and gears are in neutral, I then proceed to move off, press clutch to move into 1st, but it won't go into gear ?

Most likely because you arrived at the traffic lights in another gear and the gearbox is meshed to another gear i.e. aimed at another gear. Foot off the clutch and back on and it should be fine

Advertisement