Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatmiser WiFi Thermostat Installation

Options
  • 17-04-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

I have a relatively new heating system (boiler in the kitchen), and below this sits a timer unit that solely controls when the heating comes on/off and for how long. The Thermostat lives on the wall upstairs outside the airing cupboard.

I was looking at the Heatmiser WiFi Thermostat and was curious if this would act as replacement for both the existing Thermostat and the Timer unit (I can't seem to find anything that indicates whether or not it would be?). From what I've read the Heatmiser controls everything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I dont know about that thermostat but the americans have an unhealthy obsession with this thermostat

http://www.amazon.com/Nest-Learning-Thermostat-Generation-T200577/dp/B009GDHYPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366228831&sr=8-1&keywords=thermostat

There is also an older one for $179. They seem really well made. I know since they are for the american market its not just about keeping the heating the right temperature but the AC too. I would buy it myself but our boiler has a good cheap siemens timer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

They were US only last year owing to the voltages from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

The Heatmiser will provide both time and temperature control. In addition it provides the option to have four different temperature settings during the day, which is known as 'Setback'. This allows you keep the house at a lower temperature during the night or when you're at work and is a useful feature.

If your existing timeclock has separate control for your hot water, then you need to get the PRTHW option. Be aware that you need to be able to get the wiring back to the boiler. You may only have two wires going to the existing thermostat and the Heatmiser will need a minimum of three, unless you can get mails power for it locally.

If you can't get power to it, then you might be able to use the wires to the existing stat for power and return the control signal via RF, which of course means buying the RF version. If the wiring is starting to sound scary, I suggest getting in a sparks to have a look. It's usually not a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Cheers for that - the timer has no bearing on hot water or rads, there is a switch in the hot press that controls that. When the new heating was fitted a junction box went in the hot press - off this hangs the thermostat, the rad/water only switch and the motorised valve.

The power to the junction box is supplied by a mystery black electrical supply that emerges from the wall in the hot press so I doubt this goes back to the boiler but I'll check.

Advertisement