Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need phone recommendation for teen please

• 12-11-2019 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I need a new phone for a teen, hoping for some good deals coming up for Black Friday. Current phone is my old Moto G4, which was only 16gb and 2gb ram, and it's just so slow now that it's pretty much unusable.

It will be used mainly for calls, text, social media and Netflix, no gaming, etc. Would like a decent battery life and camera, but again, as it's for a teenager, they don't have to be amazing. I saw the thread for the Pixel 3a and wondering whether that would be a good buy?

That would be the upper end of my budget, so is there anything similar or decent specs for cheaper price out there that I should be looking at? Would prefer to get something that would last a couple of years. Thanks for any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,944 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The new Moto G8 range may have something that suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

My 16 year old went from Iphone to the Samsung a70. Fantastic phone - I even went and bought it myself.

Cost is about 370, so if you wanted something similar but cheaper then the A50 is almost as good to be honest for 289

128G internal storage and the camera is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭hdl

banie01 wrote: »
    The new Moto G8 range may have something that suits?

Thanks, I didn't even realise the G8 was out yet so I'll take a look.

norabattie wrote: »
    My 16 year old went from Iphone to the Samsung a70. Fantastic phone - I even went and bought it myself.

Cost is about 370, so if you wanted something similar but cheaper then the A50 is almost as good to be honest for 289

128G internal storage and the camera is fantastic

Thanks very much. I have actually heard from others that the Samsung A range was very good, so I'm going to look into the A50 then as the 128gb storage would be much appreciated here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

hdl wrote: »
    Thanks, I didn't even realise the G8 was out yet so I'll take a look.

Was looking at phones myself for my mother.
    Spotted this Lowest price Moto G8 I could find.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Was looking at phones myself for my mother.
    Spotted this Lowest price Moto G8 I could find.

That does seem like a good price, it's £240 on Amazon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

A good selfie camera is probably the most important factor if the teens I know are anything to go by! :pac:

A good selfie camera is probably the most important factor if the teens I know are anything to go by! :pac:

Definitely the case here too :P But in fairness, anything I buy from what's available today will be better than the camera on the G4!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

id go for something like this..! , around €320 euro. I have used xiaomi phones for years now and my wife and kids use the same, would never look at anything that is usually in the shops in ireland again, seriously impressive phones ( make sure to go for global version). Snapdragon 855 , 6GB Ram, 128 GB internal. and never buy a samsung again ;)

and buy it somewhere like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000082702430.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.1.58953d07CVNsgT

and here is another video worth a look

Moreilly wrote: »
    id go for something like this..!

That looks fantastic. Is it the same phone - Redmi K20 (youtube link) and Mi 9T (Aliexpress link)? No experience of Xiaomi here, but I assume if you've been using them years, they hold up well and last as well as anything else?

It looks good, I'll definitely look further into it. Don't think I'd buy from Aliexpress right now though, doubtful I'd have it by Christmas, and I'd be afraid of customs. It seems to be on the eu Amazons for similar price too. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

id go for something like this..! , around €320 euro. I have used xiaomi phones for years now and my wife and kids use the same, would never look at anything that is usually in the shops in ireland again, seriously impressive phones ( make sure to go for global version). Snapdragon 855 , 6GB Ram, 128 GB internal. and never buy a samsung again ;)

and buy it somewhere like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000082702430.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.1.58953d07CVNsgT

and here is another video worth a look

Have a look at www.honorbuy.com/ a bit dearer but are based in EU and you get a year warranty, delivery is between 4 and 21 days. Have not bought anything from them YET :) But will very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Mi9t pro and k20 pro are the same (pro versions) is generally referred to as k20 in europe,they hold up very well and build quality is very good. If ordering from AliExpress some shops ship to a another EU country before it's shipped to you so there would be no customs (via DHL only), and you would easily get it before Christmas ,even before December (DHL shipping only, usually about 25 euro), I've got all our phones from AliExpress, never a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jamesoneill777

Anything from the Samsung A range is a good shout!

spud65 wrote: »
    Have a look at www.honorbuy.com/ a bit dearer but are based in EU and you get a year warranty, delivery is between 4 and 21 days. Have not bought anything from them YET :) But will very soon
    Mi9t pro and k20 pro are the same (pro versions) is generally referred to as k20 in europe,they hold up very well and build quality is very good. If ordering from AliExpress some shops ship to a another EU country before it's shipped to you so there would be no customs (via DHL only), and you would easily get it before Christmas ,even before December (DHL shipping only, usually about 25 euro)

Thank you both. I'll look into both options and see what would work out best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

hdl wrote: »
    Thank you both. I'll look into both options and see what would work out best!

Don't forget to price the Mi 9T\Pro on the various Amazon sites e.g. .es, .de, .fr, .it
    i believe there have been some price drops recently! Plus the after sales service would be superior to Aliexpress and HonorBuy I'd imagine, something to consider if you value that aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Age of your teen matters. Because it has become challenging to make your teenager happy with a budget phone. You can consider Honor 7X. Yes, it has 4GB ram and 32GB storage. Camera is also good. It has plenty of Android games and also could be reliable choice for Netflix. You can also consider iPhone 7.

Age of your teen matters. Because it has become challenging to make your teenager happy with a budget phone. You can consider Honor 7X. Yes, it has 4GB ram and 32GB storage. Camera is also good. It has plenty of Android games and also could be reliable choice for Netflix. You can also consider iPhone 7.

Thanks for your reply. This one is 14, but I've honestly never come across a teen less interested in brands and names. More hope of the younger one looking for the latest and greatest phone! Currently using a 3+yr old Moto G4, so anything would be an upgrade! Have ordered a Pixel 3a (from bargain alerts thread), so waiting to see if that will arrive (as they seem to be cancelling some orders), and if not I think I'll go with a Redmi Note 8. Thanks all.

Advertisement