Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to view / access driving record online?

• 12-11-2019 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

In the UK, drivers can access their driving record instantly online on the DVLA website. Useful when hiring a car, taking a courtesy car from a garage or proving driving history to your insurance company.

Do we have a similar facility in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As usual in Ireland, it's a secret. I wonder if one contacted the RSA and mentioned "GDPR", though... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

by driving record you mean if you have tickets, points etc?
    You can ring the NCT for points information.
    Unless you're a multiple convicted driving madman most people would remember, or so I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Unless you're a multiple convicted driving madman most people would remember, or so I'd have thought.

Probably has more to do with proving to someone else that your record's clean.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

bladespin wrote: »

Exactly. So what does one do? Contact NDLS and ask them to send a letter confirming the contents of the driving record?

Surely they have a process for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

You can e-mail NDLS and they will e-mail you back your driving record.
    If you want them to post it there is a small cost.
    I had to do this for a driving job assessment a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bladespin wrote: »

Why would you need to prove your record is clean?

If you have points then you'll have a letter to say the dates they are applied. Insurance companies have access to the penalty points database and the insurance claims database so they don't need proof that you have a clean licence. If someone is loaning you their car then your insurance won't cover it anyway as most policies are TPO. Open drive I've never seen a requirement other than the person is between 25 and 70 and has a valid licence.

For hire cars you only need your licence, there are no other checks. UK residents need the 2 parts of their licence and a history check to rent in the UK we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Del2005 wrote: »

If you have points then you'll have a letter to say the dates they are applied. Insurance companies have access to the penalty points database and the insurance claims database so they don't need proof that you have a clean licence. If someone is loaning you their car then your insurance won't cover it anyway as most policies are TPO. Open drive I've never seen a requirement other than the person is between 25 and 70 and has a valid licence.

For hire cars you only need your licence, there are no other checks. UK residents need the 2 parts of their licence and a history check to rent in the UK we don't.

Say I offered someone a loaner and wanted to be sure it was safe to do so, or maybe it's a potential employer looking for a full clean etc etc.

Or the wife checking you're being a good boy.

BTW that was a guess, but looks like I was right.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Del2005 wrote: »

Someone who is resident in the UK but holds a valid Irish licence may come across UK entities (such as car insurance companies) who are used to DVLA online provisions for UK licences and seek to see some form of equivalent proof of driving record in respect of the Irish driving licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

stoneill wrote: »
    You can e-mail NDLS and they will e-mail you back your driving record.
    If you want them to post it there is a small cost.
    I had to do this for a driving job assessment a while back.

No you can't, you can only apply for it to be sent via post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

GM228 wrote: »
    Per the Article 15(3) GDPR, an electronic SAR begets an electronic response.

NDLS have a privacy policy that directs you towards a Contact Us page which gives a contact email address of info@ndls.ie or an electronic contact form.

Responding to a SAR with a ream of photocopied A4 sent out in an envelope that invariably arrives in a state is a horrible practice that needs to end. It's not secure, it's not good faith compliance with Article 15 and it only serves as a sly little tactic to go begging for a fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

GM228 wrote: »

Yes you can, I did it.

Advertisement