Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal Withholding VAT on Refund

Options
  • 17-02-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112566921&postcount=2601

I posted above in Home>Topics>Business & Finance>Consumer>Online Buying & Auctions>Couriers and while specific to AddressPal is an inactive subforum so likely get a more experienced response here.

In summary AddressPal lost/stole an item I had delivered to them on 11-Nov-2019 and for over 3 months I've been chasing them for the item and thereafter a refund. I finally received a cheque in EUR proclaiming to cover the GBP cost of said item but when I queried the amount this is the response I got:

"Please be advised AnPost only pay compensation for the actual cost of the contents. The amount was converted as of 7/11/2019 when the item was purchased.

The cost price on the invoice is £... +£... shipping converted to Euro equates to €... There is Tax on the invoice which is not included in the refund."

The cost withheld is 20% UK VAT paid on the item so how can AnPost claim not to refund this?
    Surely they should have to replace like with like. The product I bought back in Nov has since increased in price 11.3% plus the Nov FX rate AnPost are using of 1.16197 despite only issuing the cheque last week is also adding a further 3.25% increase to the replacement cost. I can accept the product price increase it somewhat out of AnPost's control but not the VAT withheld or the favorable FX rate used on a recent cheque.

Not a happy customer and trying to deal with AddressPal has been an absolute disaster on every front. What else can I saw to get them to refund in full before lodging a complaint with the ombudsman or equivalent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Just to follow up, wrote a letter of complaint to AnPost regarding AddressPal, their remediation process and handling of the situation including withholding 20% of the refund. AnPost opened a customer advocate case and agreed there was no grounds to withhold any of the refund and apologised for the length of time it took to resolve. They have confirmed that they will issue a second cheque for the shortfall amount.

Talk about drawing blood from a stone, if I can at all help it I will never be dealing with AddressPal again.

Advertisement