Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday Broadband

Options
  • 30-11-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

For those coming off the Eir €29.99/ month Black Friday deal, I've been looking up the best current deals and thought I would save you the work:

Vodafone Broadband is doing €25/month for 6 months and €40 for the other 6 months, for an average of €32.50/ month over the year contract. It comes with a Google Home Hub if that's your thing. (Edit: Perhaps not based on comments below).

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html

Sky Broadband is doing €33/month for the year although there is a €50 fee for new customers for the Sky Q Hub that isn't immediately obvious. Comes with a Sky Broadband Buddy, which may be useful if you've kids in the house and want to keep and eye on their activity.

https://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/

Eir themselves are doing €30/ month for 6 months and then €60 thereafter for a €45/month annual average. Certainly worse than Vodafone for price. It comes with an Echo Dot and Amazon Prime for a year.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

Virgin's cheapest broadband is €44/month for 6 months and €59 thereafter. It's faster broadband but a good deal more expensive at €51.50/ month on average. Comes with Virgin Sports Pass and Google Home mini.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/buy-a-broadband-package/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

Just changed from Virgin to Vodaphone. It will be a small bit slower, but that's no big deal, and we're saving about 185quid. Been with Virgin for years but there was no budging them on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Vodafone Broadband is doing €25/month for 6 months and €40 for the other 6 months, for an average of €32.50/ month over the year contract. It comes with a Google Home Hub if that's your thing.

Only for the first 1000 who sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Only for the first 1000 who sign up.

Where did it say that? The banner says that you get the Hub when you sign up during Black Friday week - no mention of limited numbers. If it is limited, at least you will find out as you're signing up because it lists what's included at check-out.

It's listed in the terms & conditions https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/offers.html
    Black Friday 2019 – Google Home Hub offer
    1. Offer applies to orders placed online or via live chat only from 22 November 2019 to 2 December 2019. Offer does not apply to orders placed in any other sales channel.
    2. Offer is subject to stock availability. Offer is limited to the first 1000 completed online or live chat orders during the above time-period.
    3. Following installation and expiry of the cooling-off period, customers will receive a unique voucher code & instructions for redeeming their Google Home Hub within 21 working days. Working days exclude weekends, public holidays and company holidays.
    4. Delivery of Google Home Hub is through third-party vendor. Vodafone cannot guarantee delivery of device prior to 25 December 2019.
    5. One voucher code can be used to redeem one Google Home Hub. It will be sent by registered post to the specified address within 10 working days.
    6. Voucher code provided must be used before 31st May 2020 to be valid.
    7. The Voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or goods, is not transferable and must not be traded in any way.
    8. Offer is subject to availability of Vodafone Home Broadband at your geographical location, as identified by Vodafone. New Vodafone Home Broadband customers who sign up to any combination of Vodafone Home Broadband products for €25 per month for the first 6 months may avail of this offer, subject to these Terms and Conditions. Price after 6-month promotional period varies depending on the home package chosen. Minimum total contract of 12 months required for some geographical locations. Offer does not apply to existing Vodafone Home Broadband customers who are switching or upgrading plans.
    9. A once-off installation fee may apply, depending on geographical location. Speeds based on maximum attainable download speed subject to network coverage, customer device capability, and service usage.
    10. Minimum Vodafone Broadband connection fixed speed of 5Mbps required for Simply Broadband, minimum of 20Mbps required for Vodafone TV and minimum of 28Mbps required for Wireless Multiroom. Fair usage policies apply.

It's listed in the terms & conditions https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/offers.html

Sneaky! Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's unlikely you'll get one, the offer has been on since about the 20th I think.

I signed up on the 26th, the online sign-up wasn't working so I rang the call centre, I was told they were probably already gone. Website was working later so signed up, time will tell.

I'd say it's unlikely you'll get one, the offer has been on since about the 20th I think.

I signed up on the 26th, the online sign-up wasn't working so I rang the call centre, I was told they were probably already gone. Website was working later do signed up, time will tell.

Despite not needing one I'd be pretty annoyed about that simply because it was included at check-out. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

For those coming off the Eir €29.99/ month Black Friday deal, I've been looking up the best current deals and thought I would save you the work:

Vodafone Broadband is doing €25/month for 6 months and €40 for the other 6 months, for an average of €32.50/ month over the year contract. It comes with a Google Home Hub if that's your thing.

Sky Broadband is doing €33/month for the year although there is a €50 activation fee that they keep quiet about. I also noted in the legal terms a €100 for the Sky Hub. Definitely worth checking that out if you go that route. Comes with a Sky Broadband Buddy, which may be useful if you've kids in the house and want to keep and eye on their activity.

Eir themselves are doing €30/ month for 6 months and then €60 thereafter for a €45/month annual average. Certainly worse than Vodafone for price. It comes with an Echo Dot and Amazon Prime for a year.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

Virgin's cheapest broadband is €44/month for 6 months and €59 thereafter. It's faster broadband but a good deal more expensive at €51.50/ month on average. Comes with Virgin Sports Pass and Google Home mini.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/buy-a-broadband-package/

Ordered the Vodafone fiber package this morning at 6am so unlikely to get the hub. But got my appointment 30 mins later for Friday to install . But missed a call today . Their were looking to install today as got crew in area. Makes huge change to eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I think they are gone, I had it in my order summary and by the time I finished the order it was gone from the summary. Bit annoying but it's still much better than Virgin. Although I'm not sure if they are cheaper than Digiweb...

Actually no Digiweb are far more expensive over the 12 months: https://digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/ !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Sky Broadband is doing €33/month for the year although there is a €50 activation fee that they keep quiet about. I also noted in the legal terms a €100 for the Sky Hub. Definitely worth checking that out if you go that route. Comes with a Sky Broadband Buddy, which may be useful if you've kids in the house and want to keep and eye on their activity.

"Sky Q Hub: Inclusive for new Sky Broadband customers with Sky Q TV (otherwise €50 if joining without Sky Q TV or €10 if upgrading from Sky TV taking Sky Broadband for the first time). €99 for existing Sky Broadband customers who choose to upgrade or downgrade. Standard broadband activation fee of €5-€10 depending upon product choice."

I'm not sure you have your info correct, see parts in bold above in your OP and also in my reply that I copied from the Sky link you provided...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

So with Sky you will be paying at least an extra tenner over the 12 month contract, because of activation fees.

I'm with Virgin and like the service. But would be happy to jump ship if there was a deal with a big savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

So with Sky you will be paying at least an extra tenner over the 12 month contract, because of activation fees.

I'm with Virgin and like the service. But would be happy to jump ship if there was a deal with a big savings.

Less than a fiver if you're not a Sky TV customer, if you are then it's less than a euro per month. See my previous post, I don't think the OP included the right information in his post in relation to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I was on that Eir €29.99/ month Black Friday deal which came to an end this month.

I was on the verge of changing to vodafone when Eir roped me in again.

Its now gone to €39.99 , abit more than vodafone but I get to keep the sports pack + they added Amazon Prime.

Very happy as the PL matches are now going to be shown on Prime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

The Eir Sports pack coming free is a deal-clincher for me in the “not-virgin” category.

I’m getting 95Mbps WiFi with Eir. VPN working fine for streaming Disney+ too. I’ve also seen some of my fastest speeds ever for downloading torrents 12mb/s!! That was a 1GB tv show in around a minute. Faster than anything I ever got on the VM router.

mystic86 wrote: »
    "Sky Q Hub: Inclusive for new Sky Broadband customers with Sky Q TV (otherwise €50 if joining without Sky Q TV or €10 if upgrading from Sky TV taking Sky Broadband for the first time). €99 for existing Sky Broadband customers who choose to upgrade or downgrade. Standard broadband activation fee of €5-€10 depending upon product choice."

I'm not sure you have your info correct, see parts in bold above in your OP and also in my reply that I copied from the Sky link you provided...

You're right. Will amend. Thanks.

Barr wrote: »
    I was on that Eir €29.99/ month Black Friday deal which came to an end this month.

Its now gone to €39.99 , abit more than vodafone but I get to keep the sports pack + they added Amazon Prime.

As far as I'm aware Amazon Prime are only showing 1 full PL gameweek. That's out of a total of 38 gameweeks. I know they have tennis and some other sport, and coupled with Eir/Virgin Sport it is a fair enough offering. But the PL teams are still only really on Sky and BT.
    BBMcQ wrote: »
    The Eir Sports pack coming free is a deal-clincher for me in the “not-virgin” category.

I’m getting 95Mbps WiFi with Eir. VPN working fine for streaming Disney+ too. I’ve also seen some of my fastest speeds ever for downloading torrents 12mb/s!! That was a 1GB tv show in around a minute. Faster than anything I ever got on the VM router.

Virgin are giving the Eir/Virgin Sports for free to all new customers now as well. I asked them about it as a current 'loyal' customer but was told it would cost me an extra fiver per month. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I contacted Vodafone, with them for the last 4 years, and asked about the deal. "Only new customers, bla bla". As I'm no longer under contract, i asked to cancel so i can sign up as new customer but was told i need to give 30 days notice and deal ends tomorrow.

Does that mean i wouldn't be able to sign up to the sky package before leaving Vodafone?

Anyone try so anything similar?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I contacted Vodafone, with them for the last 4 years, and asked about the deal. "Only new customers, bla bla". As I'm no longer under contract, i asked to cancel so i can sign up as new customer but was told i need to give 30 days notice and deal ends tomorrow.

Does that mean i wouldn't be able to sign up to the sky package before leaving Vodafone?

Anyone try so anything similar?

Does the money savings make it worthwhile to pay on the double for a month? It might take a week or two to get any new provider to install so you may well be only paying a few weeks on the double. Could be worth it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

where did you see this?

Slevster wrote: »
    where did you see this?

It was over the phone , through to their loyalty department .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

It was over the phone , through to their loyalty department .

thanks, will give them a call. but have such a low low low expectation from eir

Slevster wrote: »
    thanks, will give them a call. but have such a low low low expectation from eir

You'll need to go through the whole merry-go-round about leaving etc etc . Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

With virgin media and causing a lot of rows in my house at the moment with the kids on consoles. I only use virgin for broadband and nothing else and its costing me 60 a month to do that. Cant justify it as its not working for me. On the second hub now and still same issues with wifi dropping. No wifi etc.

According to the Vodafone website the fastest I can get is up to 100 Mbps. I live in Dublin 7.

Anyone know if that is fast enough to stream movies at night and the kids to play online during the day?
    Afraid to move in case I make things worse. Virgin want €50 off me to send a guy out for the red thing. Guy that installed it said he can see it dropping out but he made a change and that should fix the issue...its never does!

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Rolled my contract with Eir last week- €40pm for broadband- I also added two mobile phone sim only plans for €10 per month.. 12mth contract.. happy enough- missed out a free google mini by signing up early!

Happy to have the sports pack- plus saves the hassle of having to change over..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

It's only one set of PL matches at Xmas right?

cronos wrote: »
    It's only one set of PL matches at Xmas right?

This week as well .

Think they have all the matches st stephens day.

emclau wrote: »
    Rolled my contract with Eir last week- €40pm for broadband- I also added two mobile phone sim only plans for €10 per month.. 12mth contract.. happy enough- missed out a free google mini by signing up early!

Happy to have the sports pack- plus saves the hassle of having to change over..

Did they give you Amazon Prime , think this is standard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

This week as well .

Think they have all the matches st stephens day.

As far as I know the Amazon Prime matches aren't available in Ireland - Premier Sports have the rights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Virgin are giving the Eir/Virgin Sports for free to all new customers now as well

For use on your sky box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭bonjurkes

teflon wrote: »
    Anyone know if that is fast enough to stream movies at night and the kids to play online during the day?

Yes it is more than enough. It can be even possible to stream movies while kids play online (depending what game it is actually, fps games might be issue with possible lag).

Advertisement