Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the west the best?!

Options
  • 01-07-2015 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Good evening All,
    As my husband is starting a new job in Galway Technology Park soon, we are keen to find somewhere to live where he can commute there fairly quickly by car eventually but that will be accessible by public transport for the initial months pre-car ownership...
    Are neighbourhoods like Salthill totally out of the question because of traffic crossing the city? Or would this depend on his hours? There a chance his schedule will be slightly out of the usual office hours.
    What other areas can be recommended for his journey to work, plus be a good area to bring up a baby and 3 year old? Is Renmore any good? We would like to be somewhere where we could walk to the shops, doctor's, take 3 yr old to Montessori and baby to a park.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zeitner

Salthill is nice and you have the Prom there on your doorstep which is an added bonus. Depending on his hours the traffic might not be such an issue but if he working on the east side then might be handier locating there also. Renmore is nice depending on if you get a house in "old Renmore" or in the student areas. Roscam is also nice and very quiet and family orientated. Ideal for Galway Technology Park also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

West is the best in some people's minds.

But it's rubbish, all parts of the city have their good and bad points.

Public transport from Salthill to GTP would need two buses - one of them a fairly lengthy journey at peak times. And IMHO Salthill is over-rated: fills up with tourists in summer, and every woman and her cat walks the prom on the occasional nice day Walking the prom in winter is strictly for the brave. Rents are high.

Roscam would fit the bill: there's a playground there, and once you get a car it's only a short drive to the fabulous part in Renville (other side of Oranmore). Some of the estates in Doughiska are also very nice. Ditto Renmore - though it's older and a less mixed community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Good evening All,
    As my husband is starting a new job in Galway Technology Park soon, we are keen to find somewhere to live where he can commute there fairly quickly by car eventually but that will be accessible by public transport for the initial months pre-car ownership...
    Are neighbourhoods like Salthill totally out of the question because of traffic crossing the city? Or would this depend on his hours? There a chance his schedule will be slightly out of the usual office hours.
    What other areas can be recommended for his journey to work, plus be a good area to bring up a baby and 3 year old? Is Renmore any good? We would like to be somewhere where we could walk to the shops, doctor's, take 3 yr old to Montessori and baby to a park.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Z

Salthill is not out of the question I cross from Salthill to ballybrit every day. It takes me 25 mins at rush hour. I am also coming from the furthest end of Salthill. Salthill is a good area to bring up children where i live the children are out playing everyday, it is perfectly safe for them to do so. You have all of the things you listed above in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

JillyQ wrote: »
    Salthill is not out of the question I cross from Salthill to ballybrit every day. It takes me 25 mins at rush hour. I am also coming from the furthest end of Salthill. Salthill is a good area to bring up children where i live the children are out playing everyday, it is perfectly safe for them to do so. You have all of the things you listed above in Salthill.

I agree - And you can't bate the atmosphere in Salthill (daytime and evening) when the weather is good. Different story in winter when the rain is bucketing down and the Atlantic is lashin' in though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Long Gone wrote: »
    I agree - And you can't bate the atmosphere in Salthill (daytime and evening) when the weather is good. Different story in winter when the rain is bucketing down and the Atlantic is lashin' in though....

Anywhere near Salthill is fantastic. Even in winter, the prom can be magical.

• Advertisement

Anywhere near Salthill is fantastic. Even in winter, the prom can be magical.

I thought it was lookin' a bit shook (and a bit seedy to be honest) last time I was home a few years ago. Hopefully it's been smartened up a bit since then. I must visit again soon.

I thought it was lookin' a bit shook (and a bit seedy to be honest) last time I was home a few years ago. Hopefully it's been smartened up a bit since then. I must visit again soon.

I tend to look out to sea across the bay and the Bay/Burren doesn't need smartening up. ;)

I tend to look out to sea across the bay and the Bay/Burren doesn't need smartening up. ;)

You can see the burren from Salthill ? - You must have good eyesight ! ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Borboleta81

Thank you everyone for your advice and humour :-) ! I'm leaning towards Salthill, for the sea views but also for its amenities and proximity to the city centre. Saying that, I have been told to check out commuter towns for quality of life and affordable rentals, Moycullen being one of them...sounds great to be on the cusp of Connemara but I tried checking out bus routes to East Galway City/Galway Technology Park and came up blank...would you agree that it's be too much of a hassle to commute from there by bus?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Moycullen to the east of Galway is a long way, even if you are driving, in the rush hours. Buses would be infrequent. There are bad road works with long delays on the moycullen road at the moment - should be finished by Christmas. It's a nice village though, two schools, one park, a handful of pubs, supermarket etc.

• Advertisement

You can see the burren from Salthill ? - You must have good eyesight ! ! :)

Everyone can see the Burren from Salthill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moycullen being one of them...sounds great to be on the cusp of Connemara but I tried checking out bus routes to East Galway City/Galway Technology Park and came up blank...would you agree that it's be too much of a hassle to commute from there by bus?

Yes.

Athenry is the only commuter town with bus links that take in the industrial estates, and even that is only a couple of services each day.

A commuter town is only viable once you are at least a one car family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,831 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thank you everyone for your advice and humour :-) ! I'm leaning towards Salthill, for the sea views but also for its amenities and proximity to the city centre. Saying that, I have been told to check out commuter towns for quality of life and affordable rentals, Moycullen being one of them...sounds great to be on the cusp of Connemara but I tried checking out bus routes to East Galway City/Galway Technology Park and came up blank...would you agree that it's be too much of a hassle to commute from there by bus?

Thanks in advance

The buses tend to be infrequent. The East of Galway simply can't compare to the West & it gets better the further West that you go. I can walk for an hour along the shore without seeing anyone. The locals only walk along the roads. Sunday was a nice day & at one point there were 4 people on my beach :)

The ideal situation would be to get a car & eventually a job on the Western side of town. In the meantime Salthill is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Borboleta81

Thanks for the additional info! We've lots to consider. Now, re house hunting, am I missing something? I've been searching the following property sites:
    Daft, My Home, Galway Adverstiser and Trovit...anywhere else you'd recommend? Also, ideally we need to find a on unfurnished property as we'll be moving with our own belongings. From what I can see, unfurnished isn't popular. Would it be worth approaching some estate agents to help with the search once we're actually in Galway? Any recommendations about agencies? Do they generally charge fees or a month's rent etc?

Thanks again and I think I'm just about out of questions :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Thanks for the additional info! We've lots to consider. Now, re house hunting, am I missing something? I've been searching the following property sites:
    Daft, My Home, Galway Adverstiser and Trovit...anywhere else you'd recommend? Also, ideally we need to find a on unfurnished property as we'll be moving with our own belongings. From what I can see, unfurnished isn't popular. Would it be worth approaching some estate agents to help with the search once we're actually in Galway? Any recommendations about agencies? Do they generally charge fees or a month's rent etc?

Thanks again and I think I'm just about out of questions :-))

You should try the different property management companies galway property management & winters are two of the biggest..

Advertisement