Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown - Have You Gained Weight?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Also for those of you worrying about less exercise, in my case anyway and most people's I'd say, it's nearly 100% down to what you're eating. I jogged for 45 mins yesterday evening and 25 this morning, probably burned off like 3 pints of beer in those two outings, that's how little exercise actually does for calorie control.
    I find it way easier to control what I eat while being able to prepare meals 3 times a day and only keeping what you actually need to eat in the house.
    When I go back to work I'm determined not to buy lunches any more and just bring my own and stick to my current plan. Healthier and you'd save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Also for those of you worrying about less exercise, in my case anyway and most people's I'd say, it's nearly 100% down to what you're eating. I jogged for 45 mins yesterday evening and 25 this morning, probably burned off like 3 pints of beer in those two outings, that's how little exercise actually does for calorie control.
    I find it way easier to control what I eat while being able to prepare meals 3 times a day and only keeping what you actually need to eat in the house.
    When I go back to work I'm determined not to buy lunches any more and just bring my own and stick to my current plan. Healthier and you'd say a fortune.

Agree 100% I started using an app a mate of mine told me about called my fitness pal and count every calorie I eat, the great thing about it is that you can put your height, weight activity level and weight goal and it works out how many calories you would need a day to consistently lose weight. When you make your own food you can control what goes in to your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Made a decision at start of May to loose some blubber, down 10lbs.... hopefully match that by the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lost about a stone. Nowhere to eat and queues for the shops mean I'm bringing decent food to work for once and walking 5k each day during lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Up a 1.5 stone after losing about 4 stone before lock down .. I am a full time carer so was at home most of the time. Tried to do online videos without much luck and no motivation and comfort eating. Was determined to get in shape for the family holiday in July and that was cancelled so that added to the motivation issues.
    Back to the good food this week and started to walk 5k everyday.
    Need the gym .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Gained 7-10lbs. Am consciously trying to lose that now ahead of things returning to normal- am down 2.5lbs this week, defo need to up my exercising.

Gained 87 pounds tubbing out on Haagen Daz and Pringles. Stand 6'2" which means I'm taller than you and not the least bit conceited. Never heard of exercise, is that a region in Turkmenistan. Reached 87% vanity and there is potential for more once I tell you about the fibreglass bicycle collecting dust in the shed. My smile can also crack walnuts, not the cheap variety thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Lost weight. Bad appetite in warm weather and not getting out doing stuff in the fresh air makes it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I've went on such a journey of self discovery and abstinence, I'm at my birth weight again.

Am I doing this right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Eating out of boredom has been a major one for me!
    Keep a lot of healthy food and go for that instead of the junk. I guarantee you'll eat less of it because it's not rubbish. I always have nice salad stuff and fruit ready to go for when the sugar cravings kick in and my body is like "this is not what we expected" so I stop eating it faster.

I'm about half a stone less. Dropped in waist size as well. I'm eating more regularly but smaller portions and it's also more healthy food because I have time to prepare it. Instead of going running and cycling I'm exercising regularly at home. Also having a fisht o pints just isn't the same at home with the biys on the video chat instead of in person. Smoking way less as well due to reduced work stress (you can't harass me if I'm not there) maybe three rollies a day now down from 10+.

I feel so well I'd guess that this few months has added a year or two on to the end of my life.

• Advertisement

I've lost a couple of pounds that I didn't need to lose so I've just bought two footlong Italian BMTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lost weight actually and that's with no effort.

The restrictions have meant that I've been WFH for 3 months and so am not knackered and resorting to take aways or snacking when I get home at night. Instead I'm eating stuff mostly from the butcher at a normal 5/6pm rather than 8/9
    THe lack of commuting also means I have more energy generally and sleeping better so one thing from all this is that I will NOT be returning full-time to the office anyway. I'm lucky that I can do pretty much everything remotely.

I've no scales in the house but the belt has gone in 2 notches and the shirts are hanging a lot more loosely so I'm happy and trying to keep it up with limited snacks and such during the day. Unfortunately I'm just not one for walking so no point even trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Gained about 10lbs, reckon I'll lose about half that when the barbers reopen!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

sideswipe wrote: »
    Gained about 10lbs, reckon I'll lose about half that when the barbers reopen!

Get yourself a trimmer from Amazon/Argos. Not too hard to do a 3/4 all over and while not perfect, it'll do until that glorious day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Gained a stone. �� Out of work, way less movement and eating a lot more sweet stuff from baking etc. No takeaways in 3 months but clearly I have still found a way to gain. I've started cutting back a little or just being more conscious of what I'm eating but dont think I'll be back to normal until I get back working.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    At least you're trying though.
    My motivation has taken a knock.

I know the feeling. What helps for me is putting new music on my phone and going for a walk (when the weather is good, miserable weather has me in my pjs all day ;) ) whenever possible. Getting lost in the music helps.

The tracking calories thing can help to some extent but like you, I get bored at home and turn to snacking to pass the time. I'm eating a chocolate muffin right now :pac:

If you're having trouble staying motivated, just try and focus on small goals for now. At the very least, try to return to maintaining your current weight rather than gaining more. You can worry about losing any quarantine lbs after stuff has gone back to relative normality!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes, I've gained about eight pounds, yet I'm exercising more than ever. Running 5 days a week including over 38 miles last week so I'm a little confused. I don't think my diet has become much more unhealthy, probably a bit more snacking but I'd still cook most of my food. I'd *like* to think some of that is muscle gain, I know my calfs have become much thicker, my thighs too I think... but maybe that's wishful thinking? :pac:

I've lost eight stone and I wasn't heavy to begin with. Lockdown had been the most amazing and life affirming experience for me. Gone are my morning cappuccinos and in its place some nettle tea and a quick Adho Mukha Shvanasana. In the evenings I lie in the grass embracing nature and feeling my muscles relax under the pollution free sky. Dinner is trout that I caught with my own hand and potatoes that I have been growing in my isolated haven.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Gained some weight at the start of lockdown and have been yo-yo-ing constantly since then.

I did lose a few lbs the last couple weeks but the calorie restrictions are really tough to stick with.

I'm not particularly heavy to begin with but I don't like the idea of the weight continually creeping up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Started exercising in January’s was down 7 pound by end of Feb and back up a pound heavier now than I was in Jan!!!

April was a binge month and paying for it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have lost 4kg in last 4/5 weeks.
    It's grand during the day working from home and very busy so can avoid temptations.
    Issue I when it gets to 8/9 o clock in evening but doing decent so far.
    Also a lot of walks with the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lost a bit of weight. For the first time in my life I've consistently maintained a cardio routine every single day. Never been able to do more than 2-3 runs per week in the past

It hasn't had too much impact on me losing weight though as I am eating more than usual out of boredom

Lost a bit....but was probably overweight going in,as was coming off hectic 12 months,when hadnt time to look after myself properly

Still on path to healthy,hopefully gyms will.open soon,though the 20KM extension will be great for cycling

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

5 stone gained , from ipas daily and heroin and then tabs , no exercise as people wearing mask's and avoiding me on street are freaking me out , they are very rude and not sure what way to deal with them

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Gained about a stone but I'm back on track now. Back exercising 3/4 times a week, I tell myself i'm just going to exercise for 15 mins but once I actually start its easy to do at least 45 mins, it's the getting up off my ar*e in the first place that's the tricky part. I need to exercise in order to have the motivation for a good diet and I've missed the gym as a way of adding much needed variety into exercise.

Last 2 shops have been quite healthy. My issue is I always expect to see results in a months or 2 and when I only see a small improvement I give up rather then realising I was doing well and just need to be patient. My mate was supposed to get married this weekend and its rescheduled till this time next year so last sunday I set myself some goals and the timeframe is 1 year, ive never been consistent for a whole year but I reckon I can do this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Few KG gained due to laziness, too much drinking and eating out of boredom, neglection of exercise since gym closed due to lack of motivation. I don't mind though, nothing that can't be very easily reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've lost eight stone and I wasn't heavy to begin with.

I sincerely hope you meant LB there, or maybe KG, but hardly stone!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Have a read of the rest of the post! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gained weight initially with unending trips to the fridge and binge watching box sets. I got my ass in gear mid april and have lost 19lb since.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Starting a new exercise class to try and address this later today.

Will be initiating a healthy eating program at the end of the month when the kids go back to creche, it's impossible to be disciplined when your life is dependent on coffee and sugar.

Advertisement