Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options

Comments

Garlic cheese chips are decent in there but everything else is manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Esse85 wrote: »
    It's not all about pay, there's other unethical and greedy actions taken by both Keelings and Supermacs (discussed in this thread, not Facebook) that have shown them both to be businesses I'd not like to support going forward.
    I'm sure that your lost business will make a big hole in their profits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I think their food is ok and along with McDonald's an occasional guilty pleasure. The owner comes across as a complete tool however and not for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

enricoh wrote: »
    Uniform is scabby, think Ryanair iirc charge loads for them.
    E3 a day for food n people getting excited - I'd pay that for a coffee ffs.
    I don't think people like hearing unpalatable facts in Ireland and prefer to be outraged!

If you pay that for a coffee, more fool you.

You'd complain quick enough though if you're employer deducted the cost of two or three overpriced coffees a day from your wages whether you drank them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If you pay that for a coffee, more fool you.

You'd complain quick enough though if you're employer deducted the cost of two or three overpriced coffees a day from your wages whether you drank them or not.

Its a good thing Supermacs don't do that either. It's 1.60.

Don't really agree with it either, but alternative is just don't make them pay it and get them to pay full price for the meals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Don't really agree with it either, but alternative is just don't make them pay it and get them to pay full price for the meals

That would be fair and in the best interests of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Or they just could not be scabby and give a free meal to their staff during their break like McDonald's and most of the other chains do. It's fast food and cost price is close to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What a hungry c*nt. Never knew all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

ciano1 wrote: »
    Or they just could not be scabby and give a free meal to their staff during their break like McDonald's and most of the other chains do. It's fast food and cost price is close to nothing.

Or like in most work places, staff just bring in their lunch box.
    If I worked in a food outlet, the last thing I'd want is to eat from there every single day.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't claim Supermac's make world renowned burgers but they are definitely much better than Burger King or McDonalds. Especially the chicken breast sandwich, that is really top class - McDonalds or Burger King have nothing even close.

I do think McDonalds are OK for the burgers but I've tried Burger King near me a few times and always been disappointed.

But maybe that's down to that franchise more than anything. The last thing I tried was a chili cheese longburger, the bun wasn't even toasted, the burger lukewarm, and the cheese hadn't melted at all and was solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Paying for uniforms seems crazy and so tight fisted.

Is it a set amount per hour/shift ?

A few trousers, a few polos and a pair of non slip shoes wouldn't cost a whole lot ,especially for a big employer like Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't claim Supermac's make world renowned burgers but they are definitely much better than Burger King or McDonalds. Especially the chicken breast sandwich, that is really top class - McDonalds or Burger King have nothing even close.

I do think McDonalds are OK for the burgers but I've tried Burger King near me a few times and always been disappointed.

But maybe that's down to that franchise more than anything. The last thing I tried was a chili cheese longburger, the bun wasn't even toasted, the burger lukewarm, and the cheese hadn't melted at all and was solid.

No, their chicken breast sandwich is not top class. It's a flaccid, steaming, microwaved mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lunch box, keep the chips separate with a little curry sauce.

Large diet coke.

Hot blueberry muffin and a squirt of ice-cream.

Unbelievable feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Esse85 wrote: »
    It's not all about pay, there's other unethical and greedy actions taken by both Keelings and Supermacs (discussed in this thread, not Facebook) that have shown them both to be businesses I'd not like to support going forward.

So you believe everything said on boards?

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Supermacs is only fit for a trough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Make your public facing staff (more) fat, accnied and unhealthy.

Sound business strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

jester77 wrote: »
    The whole unemployment system needs an overhaul. The fact that everyone gets the same benefit is ridiculous.

I like the system here in Germany, you get roughly two thirds of your salary for 1 year, and after that you have to meet a lot of criteria to get any further benefits, e.g. using up savings, selling property, downsizing apartment or house if too big, etc

definitely the best system. That said don't get benefits here after 6 months if you have savings, or they are reduced fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Witcher wrote: »

I think there's a certain Dublin snobbery re SuperMacs. I have only ever used SuperMacs once or twice when delayed in Heuston station and it was fine. Chips were better than MacDonalds ( although some people probably like the skinny ones I don't) and the burger was fine.

I mean it is fit for a trough in the same way that all of them are. But not better or worse.
    Or like in most work places, staff just bring in their lunch box.
    If I worked in a food outlet, the last thing I'd want is to eat from there every single day.

Most work places that serve food give their staff free food. At least that was the case when I worked through college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

No, their chicken breast sandwich is not top class. It's a flaccid, steaming, microwaved mess.

Where does the flaccid, steaming and microwave come into it? :confused:

They are most assuredly deep fried as they should be, and the buns are toasted in a machine like any fast food place.

And they are proper full chicken breasts that are flattened, seasoned and coated, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Witcher wrote: »

The food is ok, but it's bad eating.
    You wouldn't want to be having it every day of the week or you'll be the size of a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Darc19 wrote: »
    Same with supermacs - firstly many are local franchisees, second, you cannot pay under minimum wage even after deduction.

Can you point to any that are actually local franchises? As in legit franchises not under control of Supermacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    someone who owns 118 restaurants in Ireland plus Hotels and bars in America isn't greedy? giving money to charity doesn't mean you aren't greedy, a lot of companies give to charity to look good to the public, most of them couldn't care less about the cause.
    Whatever you might say about the guy., he doesn't own 118 restaurants in Ireland. You do realise that Supermacs is a franchise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ehh sorry now but Is this supermacs you are talking about or where?

They certainly do not microwave the chicken breast - deepfried.

Resulting in succulent juicy chicken breast surrounded by a crisp seasoned batter.

This is then paired with fresh iceberg green lettuce, the sauce and the toasted buns.

I watch them like a hawk while the cooking process is taking place and can vouch for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Homelander wrote: »

I also ranked BK a distant 3rd out of the three big chains. BK has lost its way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

FVP3 wrote: »
    I think there's a certain Dublin snobbery re SuperMacs.

They're like the culinary wing of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Poor man's 4 Lanterns,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

enricoh wrote: »
    Uniform is scabby, think Ryanair iirc charge loads for them.
    E3 a day for food n people getting excited - I'd pay that for a coffee ffs.
    I don't think people like hearing unpalatable facts in Ireland and prefer to be outraged!

Do you drop that coffee money in to the shop even if you dont go in for the coffee, cos otherwise its not even close to the same thing.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    They're like the culinary wing of the GAA.

Coordon bleu for the GAA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Absolutely destroyed a curry cheese chip and a 5oz burger from Supermacs Portlaoise today.
    De feckin licious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was just talking to my new housemate. She works in Supermacs. She doesn't get paid extra for any overtime work. She got caught out doing some overtime so her boss is allowing her to work less days next week.

As far is she is aware they're not charged for the food and they can get up to €11 a day.

The uniform is approximately €75 and they pay over a 7 to 8 week period.

On a full week she says she is getting less than €350. I didn't press her on the details.

Advertisement