Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zipping a folder via batch file

Options
  • 28-05-2020 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Trying to zip a folder via a dos batch file.

The instruction appears to be:
    zip -r <name>.zip <folder_location>

However, i get the following error message:
    'zip' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batchfile.

I've checked the path in the command line and it includes C:\Program Files (x86)\WinZip
    Also, If I right click on the folder I'm trying to zip, I get the menu option for WinZip to Add to..., Zip and..., Congifure, etc. So it would appear to be there. If I type zip /? at the command prompt it gives me the same message as quoted above.

Some quick googling has shown that zip is not supported by DOS. I'm working on a company network which is heavily locked down and am therefore unable to download any apps or extensions to resolve this.
    Is there any way I can access the code behind the menu option for zip in order to get the folder zipped?
    Or is there another way to do this? Bit of a shame as I've got the remainder of the batch file operational and this was the final step in the entire process.

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement