Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product placement

Options
  • 11-02-2020 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I was watching a fillum with generic packets marked 'soup' and 'cereal' and that brought me to ponder why they would do this.

What is the law on it? If I feature a bottle of lucozade orange and a pack of taytos in my upcoming blockbuster just before a filthy steamy sex scene can I get into trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was watching a fillum with generic packets marked 'soup' and 'cereal' and that brought me to ponder why they would do this.

What is the law on it? If I feature a bottle of lucozade orange and a pack of taytos in my upcoming blockbuster just before a filthy steamy sex scene can I get into trouble?

It's to do with getting paid or not getting paid....

Why show a product if you aren't getting paid to promote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think in the UK if there are paid product placement on tv they have a little P symbol at start of show.
    It can be big money in films I remember a recent bond film with extremely obvious product placement I think they got millions for them.

Tonnes in Spectre
    https://www.brandchannel.com/2015/11/08/spectre-bond-product-placement-110815/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The Walter Mitty remake with Ben Stiller was like one long advert. ridiculous how obvious the whole thing was . Must have financed the entire film with different products.

Has been going on for a long time as was a piece on the radio a while ago about the different products featured in ET and the financial rewards for the companies involved

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s basically to avoid trademark infringement where they haven’t gotten permission to feature the brand in what is often a commercial venture, in your example a fillum :D

You could be in trouble if you haven’t gotten permission from is it Glaxo Smithkline and Tayto to feature their products in your upcoming blockbuster. Of course Tayto might say nothing if following the steamy sex scene the protagonist suggests that she would kick him out of bed for eating anything other than Tayto crisps :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

There may also be the adverse. If you portray a product in a harsh light they may try to sue for damage to their brand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement