Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Units of alcohol per week...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Have regularly Thursday night sessions not be common anywhere you worked and half the place coming in Friday after it? .

Are you pissed right now Nox? That sentence makes no sense...:pac:

Are you pissed right now Nox? That sentence makes no sense...:pac:

Nope. Just an autocorrect.

I’ll be out the gap at work in the next 2 hours or so to hit the beer though, big weekends drinking ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,202 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Have regular Thursday night sessions not be common anywhere you worked and half the place coming in Friday after it?

yeah they were when i was in my early 20s and no one did any work the next day, people generally grow out of that behaviour.

when you say sheltered work enviroment what exactly do you mean? its a proper place where people are here to make money not arse around in coppers on a thursday and roll in on friday looking for a breakfast roll and a kip. and they get paid accordingly.

Cyrus wrote: »
    yeah they were when i was in my early 20s and no one did any work the next day, people generally grow out of that behaviour.

when you say sheltered work enviroment what exactly do you mean? its a proper place where people are here to make money not arse around in coppers on a thursday and roll in on friday looking for a breakfast roll and a kip. and they get paid accordingly.

Plenty of us at it into our 30’s, never got the wanting to give you the craic just cause you hit mid 20’s, the thought of it would bore the life out of me.

I’ve only worked in proper places and in good jobs, doesn’t stop you having the craic and going on the beer.

Plenty of us at it into our 30’s, never got the wanting to give you the craic just cause you hit mid 20’s, the thought of it would bore the life out of me.

I’ve only worked in proper places and in good jobs, doesn’t stop you having the craic and going on the beer.

one mans craic is another mans juvenile behaviour i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

I could have 16 pints or more if I went at it at noon on a Saturday.

Be a bit Merry when the 8th pint hits but otherwise grand

I’m hardcore unlike you bitches.

Like a boss

Then when Sunday comes I go at it again and there be no ****ing stopping me

Mo Gabi wrote: »
    I don't know who's worse in this thread, the preachy buzzills or the alcos in total denial.

im not saying i dont drink, im saying that 8 pints is a lot for anyone, and someone who does it routinely and thinks otherwise is fooling themselves,

doesnt make me a preachy buzzkill, id have thought realist was more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

8 pints is a fairly standard “session”. Calling it “a lot” is simply laughable.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

fooling yourself into thinking it isnt is laughable.

little tip for you, if you are drinking that much that it needs to be referred to as a session then its a lot.

• Advertisement

True 100%. That’s what a lot of people drink at home before even going out to pubs or nightclubs.

Mo Gabi wrote: »
    Im terms of of pints 6 is about my limit, I just can't drink anymore beer. I have to switch to whiskey after that and sip on it.

To those pintmen who are knocking back pints in double digit figures, how do you do it?

You have to drink past that, you get to a stage where it starts getting tough but after another pint it goes away.

Not the black stuff though, hell no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You have to drink past that, you get to a stage where it starts getting tough but after another pint it goes away.

Not the black stuff though, hell no.

Back when I drank Guinness (when I gave up smoking after thirty years a couple of years ago I discovered I didn't actually like the taste of it very much, go figure...) I'd usually pop to the pub down the road to make sure I could go over ten, before doing it in my actual local. It's all good fun but there's no point in being a damn fool about these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same as that, in late teens and early twenties you'd go out regularly three nights a week but then you reach adult life and you go out at the weekend. Then onto your mid thirties and you realise there's more to life than drinking and hangovers. Family and relationships are far more important and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Same as that, in late teens and early twenties you'd go out regularly three nights a week but then you reach adult life and you go out at the weekend. Then onto your mid thirties and you realise there's more to life than drinking and hangovers. Family and relationships are far more important and enjoyable.

I enjoy drinking beer. I love my family and friends. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You strike me as the sort of lad who plays video games. How many hours a week would you spend at that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I enjoy drinking beer. I love my family and friends. The two are not mutually exclusive.

when i am drinking it is always with family and/or friends. who else would you be drinking with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's odd. Nox didn't put that bit in originally but subsequently edited it in for effect - to play up to the role he's created for himself - you know the good, honest, sound hard drinker. It's a very old fashioned attitude but fits in most of his other attitudes to stuff and the more it pisses people off the more he enjoys it. I suspect he sees it as trolling hipsters, pansies, eco warriors, feminists snowflakes, yuppies and arseholes, generally. The world is changing and he doesn't like it.

He'll drink like a real man and drive his car wherever he wants. Nox is a real man but a lot of it is put on in reaction to wind people up.

I grew up with teetotaller parents. Actually, I’m not sure that’s accurate because they like boozy desserts and eat savoury sauces made with alcohol. But they don’t drink, never did. Apart from one uncle who is an alcoholic, the older members of my extended family barely drink as a collective.

So for me, the idea of drinking being a statement on masculinity baffles me. Maybe he is just posting that way for effect, but I think some people do believe in the ol’ hellraiser image as a gold standard of masculinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

wakka12 wrote: »
    There will never be a war on drink the same way there has been for smoking. Smoking is just a bad habit most people cant kick because of the addictive quality. Smoking is also far more destructive to health than moderate alcohol intake. Drink, is just fun and relaxing and everyone is aware of the health implications but many arent addicted and feel it is worth the small health risks(intake dependent,obviously) for the great social benefits. There wont be any more a war on drink than there is one against fast food or any other vice

There will. It's already begun. All this stuff about units and drinkaware etc, its already happening. That's the start.
    Minimum unit pricing is next, already approved just held up by the Nordies.
    It's already happening.
    Like it or not theres a war on booze happening already. It takes time but its happening.

And yes smoking is more harmful to physical health, but alcohol far more harmful to mental health.
    I do a bit of both so I'm not judging anyone here but you'll never see a fella walk into the A+E at 2am after picking a fight with someone from smoking.

You'll never see a lad beating his wife or letting his family suffer or ending his life in the gutter because he smoked cigarettes.

But with alcohol, you get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

By 'a lot', you mean how drunk it gets you. Unfortunately biology doesnt work that way and an amount that doesnt make you feel intoxiated may still be damaging other aspects of your physical health regardless of how you feel. Your mental tolerance can build to alcohol and so you need more alcohol to get a buzz but that doesnt mean your liver or heart arent being damaged by the extra alcohol. hence the advisory and why its important to protect your health based on facts not feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 10 miglaws84

NewRed2 wrote: »
    There will. It's already begun. All this stuff about units and drinkaware etc, its already happening. That's the start.
    Minimum unit pricing is next, already approved just held up by the Nordies.
    It's already happening.
    Like it or not theres a war on booze happening already. It takes time but its happening.

And yes smoking is more harmful to physical health, but alcohol far more harmful to mental health.
    I do a bit of both so I'm not judging anyone here but you'll never see a fella walk into the A+E at 2am after picking a fight with someone from smoking.

You'll never see a lad beating his wife or letting his family suffer or ending his life in the gutter because he smoked cigarettes.

But with alcohol, you get that.

I agree that alcohol massively affects a persons mental health, some people more than others. I think that it is the main instigator in the massive rise in mental health problems we have here, especially when it is combined with drugs that are prescribed for depression and even when combined with cannabis.... its up to each person to do what they like but it is also important to know all the facts so that we can all make our own informed decisions about what we put into our body. All these drugs have different effects on different people, someone may well be able to drink 30 pints at the weekend and feel grand but their best mate may drink 30 pints with them and then suffer in the depths of depression the following week.

You need to know yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Throwing out numbers is kinda pointless without context.

8 pints of Coors Light spread out over 5 hours after a large meal is a lot different to heading straight out after work and drinking 8 pints of a strong IPA in 3 hours and on an empty stomach. In the first scenario, I'd be surprised if someone was falling all over the place, the second scenario is unlikely to end well.

I love my alcohol, but am under no illusions about the side effects of it. If doing either of the above regularly, its probably doing a bit of damage. But each to their own, and to be honest, this thread is just making me really thirsty

I'd say the divorcee would've been better off sitting on one of her fingers after you drank your hundred pints.

Nah, man, had a boner on me you could hang a cinema curtain on. Don’t get brewers droop- coke cock now is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

A bottle of non-alcoholic beer in the pub costs the same, if not more than a bottle of the full-alcohol equivelant.
    The same applies to prices in the off-licenses.

The most annoying thing is that despite the legal definition of an "alcoholic beverage" being one which has an alcohol by volume (ABV) content of >0.5% and N/A beers have less than this (usually max of 0.2%), the 10 PM watershed rule still applies. Christ, there is more alcohol by volume in certain fruit juices and sauces and trufles.

They say that the 10PM rule is there to "protect our health" so is it supposed to be better to go to the pub and guzzle down 10 pints than to go to the shop and take a small pack of N/A beers home?

I was in Spain recently where they have implemented an 11PM rule similar to our own 10Pm rule but there was no issue getting N/A San Miguel.

miglaws84 wrote: »
    I agree that alcohol massively affects a persons mental health, some people more than others. I think that it is the main instigator in the massive rise in mental health problems we have here, especially when it is combined with drugs that are prescribed for depression and even when combined with cannabis.... its up to each person to do what they like but it is also important to know all the facts so that we can all make our own informed decisions about what we put into our body. All these drugs have different effects on different people, someone may well be able to drink 30 pints at the weekend and feel grand but their best mate may drink 30 pints with them and then suffer in the depths of depression the following week.

You need to know yourself.

100% agree with everything you said.
    It's as if I typed it myself. You're spot on.
    The thing is though, that's not how Ireland operates. It's impossible to say John can have 20 pints and be grand but Mary is a mess after 3 so the ultimate decision is introduce minimum unit pricing and blanket advertising about the ill effects of alcohol.
    We're a bit of a nanny state.
    But ultimately if in 20 years time the next generation aren't drinking alcohol at all then would the world be better or worse?
    Better is my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

fooling yourself into thinking it isnt is laughable.

little tip for you, if you are drinking that much that it needs to be referred to as a session then its a lot.

Gawd, you really need to relax.

Stop and think for a minute, bunch of lads go out to watch some European footie on a Wed or Thu evening. Have 5/6/7 pints and mosey home.

Up the next morning and just carry on. Nobody`s walking around with their heads hanging off and can`t work.

You sound like you have a max limit of 3/4 drinks and you cant function the next days. I`ve news for you, not everyone is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

100% agree with everything you said.
    It's as if I typed it myself. You're spot on.
    The thing is though, that's not how Ireland operates. It's impossible to say John can have 20 pints and be grand but Mary is a mess after 3 so the ultimate decision is introduce minimum unit pricing and blanket advertising about the ill effects of alcohol.
    We're a bit of a nanny state.
    But ultimately if in 20 years time the next generation aren't drinking alcohol at all then would the world be better or worse?
    Better is my guess.

I agree that people have different tolerances to drink.

I don't agree with the other poster who claims that alcohol "massively affects a persons mental health, some more than others". Most people who enjoy a drink suffer no effects on their mental health.

As for a generation of non drinkers I think they would be missing out on some of life's pleasures. A cold beer on a Summer day, a nice wine with a good meal, a drop of brandy in front of the fire.

elperello wrote: »
    I agree that people have different tolerances to drink.

I don't agree with the other poster who claims that alcohol "massively affects a persons mental health, some more than others". .

I dont get that, it's a contradiction isn't it?

If you agree that people have different tolerance levels, then surely it follows that it affects one person's mental health more than aother?

I'm that person, I love my pint but the next day I'm riddled with anxiety.
    As opposed to my Dad who could drink me under the table and be fine the next day.

You strike me as the sort of lad who plays video games. How many hours a week would you spend at that?

Zip, too much to be doing spending time with my missus and son to be wasting time on pointless endeavours. You strike me as the type of adult who wears full tracksuits. How many have you?

I also enjoy drinking good beer. Going to open a can of Pointy Shoes shortly. But I don't drink to excess, to the detriment of my free time, just so I can say I drank 10 pints in some strange attempt to impress other people doing the same on an internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I dont get that, it's a contradiction isn't it?

If you agree that people have different tolerance levels, then surely it follows that it affects one person's mental health more than aother?

I'm that person, I love my pint but the next day I'm riddled with anxiety.
    As opposed to my Dad who could drink me under the table and be fine the next day.

There is subtle difference in our positions.
    I'm saying that most people suffer no effect on their mental health from drinking.
    The other poster implies that all drinkers mental health is affected to some degree.
    The other poster may care to clarify.

There is no need to be anxious. Just don't get in rounds with your dad.

• Advertisement

:D he never pays anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Crock Rock wrote: »
    A bottle of non-alcoholic beer in the pub costs the same, if not more than a bottle of the full-alcohol equivelant.
    The same applies to prices in the off-licenses.

The most annoying thing is that despite the legal definition of an "alcoholic beverage" being one which has an alcohol by volume (ABV) content of >0.5% and N/A beers have less than this (usually max of 0.2%), the 10 PM watershed rule still applies. Christ, there is more alcohol by volume in certain fruit juices and sauces and trufles.

They say that the 10PM rule is there to "protect our health" so is it supposed to be better to go to the pub and guzzle down 10 pints than to go to the shop and take a small pack of N/A beers home?

I was in Spain recently where they have implemented an 11PM rule similar to our own 10Pm rule but there was no issue getting N/A San Miguel.

There is no legal requirement to restrict n/a beer. If there is one, it's just the shop doing it off their own bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

100 pints in one week.jesus that's about 14 pints a night.my liver would tell me to go **** myself after that. madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

petros1980 wrote: »
    That's strange considering in Spain every bar has a good NA lager on draft. That combined with the fact you can get all sorts of measures of beer down to around a quarter of pint makes for great options when you just want a refreshing drop on a hot day.

Yeah it is strange, you'll see it in supermarkets in Italy but not in bars, when I mentioned it to an Italian acquaintance living here he mumbled something about Italy being slow to catch onto trends which I would agree with. Bars offer all kinds of sickly sweet mocktails but alcohol free beer? Why would anyone want to drink that? I was in Berlin during the summer and for for all their beer drinking culture there was no shortage of alcohol free beers and all sorts of different shandies, including something called a Potsdammer made from beer and a keg fermented alcho free brew called fassbrau.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There is subtle difference in our positions.
    I'm saying that most people suffer no effect on their mental health from drinking.
    The other poster implies that all drinkers mental health is affected to some degree.
    The other poster may care to clarify.

I would say most people do experience a negative impact on their mental health after heavy drinking, although it generally abates within two days at most. It’s still a lot if you drink heavily every week.

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m breathing in pints of stout since 5:30pm, half drank when they are still brown they are that good!

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m breathing in pints of stout since 5:30pm, half drank when they are still brown they are that good!

How many so far, nox?

Good man, Nox! Doing the county proud. Bit before your time, but there was a competition in the early 90’s between a lad from Athenry and a lad from Loughrea to see who could drink the most Guinness. 22-19 in favour of Loughrea was the result.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Gawd, you really need to relax.

Stop and think for a minute, bunch of lads go out to watch some European footie on a Wed or Thu evening. Have 5/6/7 pints and mosey home.

Up the next morning and just carry on. Nobody`s walking around with their heads hanging off and can`t work.

You sound like you have a max limit of 3/4 drinks and you cant function the next days. I`ve news for you, not everyone is the same

Like I said if you think you function the same the next day after 7 pints the night before you are only fooling yourself.

I like a drink but unlike the hometown heroes posting here getting battered every time I meet a friend or on a week night isn't my idea of a good time

• Advertisement

Like I said if you think you function the same the next day after 7 pints the night before you are only fooling yourself.

I like a drink but unlike the hometown heroes posting here getting battered every time I meet a friend or on a week night isn't my idea of a good time

I can function fine in work after drinking seven pints and does not affect me one bit. If I drink more and go in hungover my work isn’t affected either.

I can function fine in work after drinking seven pints and does not affect me one bit. If I drink more and go in hungover my work isn’t affected either.

Yeah I'm sure

It's time to leave this thread

I need a drink ....

How many so far, nox?

Well into the 7th anyway, could be 8 not counting as they are mostly free.

as they are mostly free.

Cause you're such mighty craic?

Loyalty card you'd imagine, buy 28 get 7 free. He'll start drinking properly after the 28th then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

jimgoose wrote: »
    If so, there's a lot of them about. Most middle-aged men I know would loft a gallon of ale of a Thursday evening and stroll home for the dinner without a sign of drink on them. Granted you have a lot of eighteen-stone ex-props among that lot... :pac:

Same as that in my local, retired guys (and a few gals) sipping away at a few pints during the afternoon/evening, watching the racing or golf or whatever sport is on and not a bother on them. There seems to be this assumption that everyone who downs a few quarts of an evening is an alco who can't handle his/her drink or is out supping every day of the week :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm sure

It's time to leave this thread

I need a drink ....

What do you think happens? I puke into the toilet all morning or something or can’t hold a conversation? Or just sit in the office chair twiddling my thumbs? Or cancel meetings I have scheduled for the day?

Really like, having 7 pints does not make you a right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Such craic he's on boards on a Friday night talking about brown pints (hopefully guinness not lager)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Such craic he's on boards on a Friday night talking about brown pints (hopefully guinness not lager)

When I saw that I thought he must be getting terrible guinness if it's brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jamsiek wrote: »
    When I saw that I thought he must be getting terrible guinness if it's brown

I think he's drinking it before it settles, which considering how staunchly he's defended the two part pour, just doesn't seem right....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 rusticalo

Most of the 7-8 midweek pint heros have a lot in common.

They might be 45 but look at least 10 years older, have 2-4 chins, red blotchy faces, seriously unfit though they think they are specimens, very over weight, no leg muscle with trousers hanging on their arse, couldn't run 400 metres and if they did would need a defribulator to hand. Think they are great craic and interesting but mainly boring oul shi*es talking crap. They love chips, burgers, drinking coke and generally eating crap.

I'll leave it there so :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement