Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

Looks like Bono with shades 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Looks like they painted on a pair of sunglasses. ****ty thing to do, but probably not the worst case of vandalism I’ve seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Well...I've no time for a hideous piece of 'art' like that, but I do enjoy a moan about little scrotes.

Hang 'em all, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wait for the excusers........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Haha they are in while I was typing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Word on the street is that a local lad called Ronnie drew it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I honestly thought it would be worse TBH but it's still disgraceful.

Oh and those of you who have no knowledge of the great Luke Kelly and think this is all a bit of craic; shame on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No respect for anybody. Including one of their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The state of the thing in fairness. Plus what do they expect if you put anything in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

One mans art is another mans vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Luke would find it funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

And of course Christy "one of our own" Burke has to chime in with another worthless opinion about how the community was wronged, as if a gang of businessmen from Dalkey did it. He was curiously unavailable for comment when his family members were convicted of possessing weapons in the area though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The state of the thing in fairness. Plus what do they expect if you put anything in that area.

Not condoning the vandalism for one minute....

But it really wasn't much to look at anyway. They could and should have done Luke's memory better service with something more dignified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

doughef wrote: »
    Looks like Bono with shades ��

Looks like Bono with Aids

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

One mans art is another mans vandalism.

I think the statue itself was vandalism in a first place.

I still want the arshwipes to be made to lick the paint off until the statue is clean again but that’s a different debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Not condoning the vandalism for one minute....

But it really wasn't much to look at anyway. They could and should have done Luke's memory better service with something more dignified.

It's an awful yolk, looks like he's about to vomit or blow someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Duffy will be looking to get some coverage with this on the Lahvlahn.

"Its a wunderful statue.......sure isn't it great.......wasn't he marvelous etc etc"

It's in bits FFS..... before it was vandalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Disgusted by the idiots that would do something like that.
    Luke Kelly is probably the greatest Irish singer of all time, a true legend.
    It's just sickening that somebody would do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

eagle eye wrote: »
    Disgusted by the idiots that would do something like that.
    Luke Kelly is probably the greatest Irish singer of all time, a true legend.
    It's just sickening that somebody would do this.

They've probably never heard of him given the breadth of their cultural and intellectual scope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sabat wrote: »
    And of course Christy "one of our own" Burke has to chime in with another worthless opinion about how the community was wronged, as if a gang of businessmen from Dalkey did it. He was curiously unavailable for comment when his family members were convicted of possessing weapons in the area though.

Sounds like yoube just been waiting to have a go tbh, he was involved with commissioning the statue apparently so of course he's going to comment on it, and he implied nothing of the sort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sounds like yoube just been waiting to have a go tbh, he was involved with commissioning the statue apparently so of course he's going to comment on it, and he implied nothing of the sort

Auld Christy defaced many a city centre and innocent bystander in his time, so I’m sure he’ll have the awareness to keep his outrage to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

peter2-3-752x501.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Surprised it lasted this long. Awful piece of "art". Of the two statues the taxpayers funded that one was more about the artist showing off than a celebration of the subject. Apparently the Kelly family themselves hated it. I don't condone vandalism but arguably that thing was vandalism to start with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Looks like the Beheading Of Lino Ritchie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jog on Burke, you couldn't keep a boulder nice down Sheriffer way and you bloody well knew that all the time you lobbied for this. (spare me the Joe Duffy salta dee eart community shyte too, if a community can't put a leash on its own then thats all you need to know about it)

The notion of putting a statue of Luke in Dublin 1 was always daft, famous people get prominent positions, not outside the front door they grew up in and they could have saved themselves all this bother by not having the Sheriffer statue and moving the Stephens Green one down to either O'Donoghues or Raglan Road a lá Phillo Lynott or Patrick Kavanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

God know what the little ****es will do to the Michael Jackson statue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

God know what the little ****es will do to the Michael Jackson statue.

Stay the feck away. Just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Whoever did that is a scumbag of the lowest order :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm shocked to hear that it lasted that long if I'm honest. Pointless putting a statue like that in that part of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

mfceiling wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/community-outraged-as-luke-kelly-statue-is-vandalised-932988.html

It was only a matter of time. Probably the most famous person from the area (go on out of that Gately) and that's the respect he's been given.
    Little scrotes up to no good as usual....But but but they've no amenities, it's not their fault etc.
    It was a truly striking piece of art that couldn't be appreciated.
    Knackers.
    Couldn’t agree more, ah but the poor little chislers there’s nothing in the area for them sure they have to turn to vandalism, I blame the government...
    In fairness it’s probably the worst place you could put anything as it’s just a knacker hole and you can talk about all the urban regeneration horse**** you like, a knacker is a knacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What the hell are you on about? That is not the impression I got from his statement

From the article: "Now, I'm not pointing the finger at anybody but I'm hoping that CCTV is hoping to pick up the culprit or culprits. I know that the community is outraged."

“I know that the family will be hurt and devastated tonight and I know that the community is absolutely devastated,” he said.

“I am absolutely outraged; I actually feel so disturbed inside that I am virtually shaking."

“Really and truly, I never dreamt that this would happen.”

He called on anyone in the local community with any information on the culprits to pass it on to Gardaí.

“It is a sad evening at the end of the day but we won’t give up,” he said.

“The graffiti will be removed; the community will stand together, stronger and stronger and I know that they will continue to police the Luke Kelly statue.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fella called John sheahan it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A good few years ago When I was well cut backstage at a Pogues gig, I got chatting to Ronnie. I told him I thought Luke was a far better singer than he was.

He said, "Well it's a good job I'm not depending on c*nts like you to make a living then." and walked off.

sligojoek wrote: »
    A good few years ago When I was well cut backstage at a Pogues gig, I got chatting to Ronnie. I told him I thought Luke was a far better singer than he was.

He said, "Well it's a good job I'm not depending on c*nts like you to make a living then." and walked off.
    haha!

No offence to you, but I actually respect him for that (still youre right, Luke Kelly was of course the better vocalist). It wasn't just his voice, it was his very authentic sound. He had soul before the rest of us knew what that meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

You'd know well young lads are finished school for the summer when this stuff happens

Tends to be an increase in most towns and cities of anti social behaviour when the summer holidays come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's an improvement if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

It's an awful looking thing and from a distance the sunglasses make it look better.
    Weekend at bernies head on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Horrible statue but it's a matter of taste etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Shoulda drew a Ronnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DublinGAA says the statue is "destroyed" now.
    Hyperbole and hysteria in action.

https://twitter.com/Dubs_gaa/status/1143605596370944000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I knew as soon as I seen a thread here that loads of people would be loving it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Andrew00 wrote:
    You'd know well young lads are finished school for the summer when this stuff happens

Yeah because they miss school terribly down sherrifer.."No more classes,Herbert.Whatever shall we do?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Terrible looking thing, like a giant latex severed head. Like something you'd see in a chamber of horrors.

I'm not a great fan of littering streetscapes with lifesize bronze statues of notables who look like they've been dipped in chocolate but this artistic atrocity is in a league of its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

biko wrote: »
    DublinGAA says the statue is "destroyed" now.
    Hyperbole and hysteria in action.

https://twitter.com/Dubs_gaa/status/1143605596370944000

I thought Luke had red hair. Ginger suppression...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Unfortunately I’d say it’ll be vandalized regularly from now on :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They should have made his hair from grass seeds like a Chia Pet

crap statue

crap area

kelly a legend

is that about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I love that statue. Something different.
    Real shame as the planned Velo cycle is starting from there today I think.

I'm sure the locals are appalled also as Luke is a local hero around Sherrif St.

Always around the summer all the scrotes go mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Horrible statue but it's a matter of taste etc.

Have a bit of respect.

Thousands of Brillo pads died to make that statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

No one blaming alt right/right wing nazis yet lol

I'm surprised....

• Advertisement
Advertisement