Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Wednesday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Swell? I'm more worried about the dude about to eat the west of Ireland...

331055.jpg

331056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Crude paint job, but so affective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Looks like Elvis.

I christen you Swelvis. God bless all who surf in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are there any good webcams for those of us who unfortunately can't make it down west midweek? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There is check magic seaweed for surf reports, wave height, swell and web cams.
    http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Webcams-Partner/1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Driving from Loop Head along the Atlantic way as far as Ballyvaughan sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Looks like it could be cool. Its been a while since we've had anything impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's unlikely that mully will be surfable tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 space_LSA

MadYaker wrote: »
    It's unlikely that mully will be surfable tomorrow.

why not?.

like, of course not going out really far, but would be ok just to mess around in the water?

webcam list:
    magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Webcams-Partner/1/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

space_LSA wrote: »
    why not?.

like, of course not going out really far, but would be ok just to mess around in the water?

According to Magicseaweed winds will be too strong during the swell.

"Mullaghmore is worth a mention here but for all the wrong reasons. While the swell is huge, striking directly on the Irish coast, unlike both the first two giant storms of last winter, this means the normal strong winds are pushed to gale force while 30ft+ swell hits the coast. While the local crew are used to dealing with tricky conditions this looks to offer nothing workable in the window."

space_LSA wrote: »
    why not?.

The swell is great but the winds are too strong and coming onshore. Surfers like surfing big clean barrels not massive exploding walls of whitewater. If the winds were blowing offshore and weren't quite so strong it would be a different story. There will still be huge waves but I wouldn't recommend going out in it, extremely dangerous.

All the big wave surfers are heading to Spain, France and Portugal for better conditions, if you want to watch some big wave surfing look up Nazare in Portugal tomorrow. It's the most consistent big wave spot in the northern hemisphere at the moment and should produce the goods tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah I think only the top pros would dare go out there tomorrow.
    The waves wont even get a chance to crest imo , the tops being blown off before.
    IF its in anyway what it was like when I went out there for the early November storm in 2010 it'll be a complete mess of waves and sea spray.

If you're on Facebook this page will be providing regular photos and videos of the madness: https://www.facebook.com/XXL?fref=ts

Also the MSW website: http://magicseaweed.com/news/black-wednesday-storm-big-wave-breakdown/7035/

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

vicwatson wrote: »

Would a spin to enniscrone be worth it tomorrow,?I have just over an hour to get there

well, ok maybe not surfing... but what about some camping and enjoying the view,etc?...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd imagine visibility would be low. Best to keep an eye here http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ it has a lot of the info magic seaweed has but easier to see what's going on.

Advertisement