Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin airport fog

Options
  • 26-11-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure whether this belongs in aviation, weather or travel, but I'll start here.

I see that several flights between Dublin & London City have been cancelled today because of the fog at Dublin. I've a flight booked for tomorrow morning (1140) and I'm a little worried that they might be cancelled again if there's more fog tomorrow.

Would any of the boffins on here like to take a stab at likely conditions at Dublin airport tomorrow morning?

I can book the ferry for tomorrow as a fallback, but since that involves being onboard at 0800, it doesn't give me much time tomorrow morning to see whether the flights are on or off.

z

p.s. the irony of it all - I was originally going to go overland, but then booked the flight since I thought the probability of stormy seas was too high. Now it looks like I might be back on the seas again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

From Met Eireann:
    Tomorrow
    Any fog will clear quickly tomorrow morning as southeasterly winds freshen. Otherwise tomorrow will be dry and bright with highest temperatures of 7 to 9 degrees.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd think it more likely that flights may have been cancelled to London City Airport today due to fog there rather than fog in Dublin? Tricky airport to fly in and out of, especially in fog, if the aircraft is not fitted with the right equipment (i.e. ILS).

So I'd also look at the weather for there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, you're right. It's LCY. Initially I thought it was here because of the fog we had earlier, but the LCY arrivals & departures board makes for scary reading - http://www.londoncityairport.com/travelandbooking/arrivalsanddepartures

Imagine being on the EDI-LCY flight (or the one from Exeter) that was diverted to another airport . . . that would be a major pain. You could theoretically end up further away that when you started.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I was up around Dublin Airport for a good bit of the day with work and it must have been the only part of the country with little to no fog. Perfect weather up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

TAF AMD EIDW 261804Z 2618/2718 VRB03KT 3000 BR SCT005 TEMPO 2618/2709 0300 FG BKN002 BECMG 2711/2713 13005KT 9999 NSW SCT020 BECMG 2713/2715 12014KT=

You should be ok according to the TAF for the airport ! Maybe a small delay if the early morning fog doesn't head off !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks all. Looks like I'm in the clear (so to speak) this morning. The first couple of flights have landed in LCY and the first two out of DUB for LCY have left, although a little delayed.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Murky drizzle in London this morning but nothing that'll affect flights so you should be safe enough at this end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Fog had cleared in west dublin by mid night. Any dew left behind was frozen. Had some funky looking frost ferns on the car roof

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

zagmund wrote: »

Imagine being on the EDI-LCY flight (or the one from Exeter) that was diverted to another airport . . . that would be a major pain. You could theoretically end up further away that when you started.

z

that's happened to me numerous times flying EDI-LCY. I've ended up at Stansted, Gatwick, and on one occasion Biggin Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 24 el pibe

yeah, I 'boarded' at LCY once only to find myself on some creaking septegenarian double decker bus on my way to Southend. very surreal.
    We were the only flight to actually fly that day though.

Fog at Dublin just tends to cause delays rather than cancellations, common enough at this time of year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement