Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veg News

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great idea, I'll be tuning in!

Third largest egg-producer in the US looks to exit market as rules regarding chickens get stricter:
    http://www.startribune.com/business/256752191.html

In travel we have vegan/vegetarisches sommerfest returning to berlin, a festival that saw over 20000 visitors last year!
    Perhaps peoples should look into travel arrangements now?
    http://en.vegan-vegetarisches-sommerfest.de/

In celebrity news David Carter of Oakland Raiders talks about his newfound veganism
    http://www.ecorazzi.com/2014/04/02/david-carter-of-oakland-raiders-goes-plant-strong/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

What would happen if everyone in the world gave up meat?

Bear in mind that 'sudden intercontinental vegetarianism is very much an unlikely scenario' ;)

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-would-happen-if-everyone-in-the-world-gave-up-meat-2014-5#!JHmuh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

On an unrelated note I could watch that dog gif all day :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement

oh crap their plan ^ backfires................

Halting Drone-Assisted Hunting Before It Takes Off

One of the more sensible articles I've read about the whole Subway Halal thing

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-halal-hysteria-is-all-about-money-not-morality-9349652.html

Another subway halal article from someone who eats meat but also understands hypocrisy....

"http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2014/may/09/moral-bullsht-animal-lives-upset-dies?CMP=twt_gu"

Type in the 'i' in bull.... yourself so it links properly, silly boards

A bit of fb activism has started up towards Jamie Oliver.
    A polite request was posted today on Jamie Oliver's page, since he supports people's right to know where their food comes from, to share a certain link

This was the link....

http://www.theveganwoman.com/whats-the-problem-with-eating-eggs/

You can see the fb post here and support it if you wish.

• Advertisement

Why 103 year old whale is bad news for sea world...
    https://www.thedodo.com/recently-spotted-103-year-old--547381307.html?xrs=RebelMouse_fb

Wow to think that whale was alive near the start of the 1900s and look at the lifespan in seaworld :eek:

No more mandatory animal testing for Chinese cosmetic companies

Minister Coveney talks about changes in the animal welfare act

-basically the big whoop is that legislation that was already in place to ensure horses are microchipped is now going to be taken more seriously, maybe.
    -The 'control of horses' act will be reviewed
    -Dog microchipping wil be compulsory from Jan 2016

9 year old kid running his own animal shelter :)

The Future of Factory Farming: Virtual Reality Farming

ffs I don't even know what to say to that

I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

That was actually a tongue-in-cheek proposal lol, it was supposed to humorous I think. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.........http://www.dezeen.com/2014/05/16/virtual-reality-for-chickens/ Phew

Bull fight gets cancelled as all three bulls gore matadors
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27507414

Good stuff, however it is sad that the killing has gained cultural status over there to prevent further banning of it in different regions.

Cowspiracy

Have you heard about this movie that's due to be released this year? It aims to expose the link between animal consumption and environmental destruction. It was funded through IndieGogo. Trailer below....

I couldn't find a single piece of european news on the worldwide march against monsanto yesterday ¬_¬

Australian pork industry calls for tougher penalties against animal activists illegally filming on farms

Ye we must need stronger eco terrorism laws, that's definitely the problem.

Depressed goat ends hunger strike after reunion with donkey BFF :)

Wow I see my future

Tnsdu9Q.jpg

Look at this majestic creature.

What's with the fish pond though!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Stray dogs removed and probably put down in World Cup clean up

I enjoy the world cup, but this type of thing has started to come in around recent football tournaments and I guess for maybe some other international events.

Espicially sad in Brazil where a lot of the talk about the location has been about the Amazon, the natural beauty and the wildlife, but some animals are just been seen as some sort of blemish that needs to be 'tidied up'.

actua11 wrote: »
    Stray dogs removed and probably put down in World Cup clean up

I enjoy the world cup, but this type of thing has started to come in around recent football tournaments and I guess for maybe some other international events.

Espicially sad in Brazil where a lot of the talk about the location has been about the Amazon, the natural beauty and the wildlife, but some animals are just been seen as some sort of blemish that needs to be 'tidied up'.

Not to mention the Russian Olympics :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I have spend a lot of time in South America ( but not Brazil), the place is overflowing with stray dogs, most of them are in a bad way, its heartbreaking tbh

This is pretty cool

University of Oxford has passed a motion to ban meat products and only serve vegan food for five nights a week on campus

And if you like The Vegan Zombie, they've started doing a Vlog, here's their first one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Scientists are creating vegan cheese from human DNA and bakers yeast!

Needs crowd funding.

http://news.sky.com/story/1301183/milk-free-cheese-made-using-human-dna-strands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

sok2005 wrote: »
    Scientists are creating vegan cheese from human DNA and bakers yeast!

Needs crowd funding.

http://news.sky.com/story/1301183/milk-free-cheese-made-using-human-dna-strands

My first thought on that was, aren't we animals too :confused:

Oldtree wrote: »
    My first thought on that was, aren't we animals too :confused:

Me too. A dentist told me they are now using pig bone to help humans reconstruct their jaw bones when damaged. I thought the exact same thing then, would I prefer for them to use donated human bone if I ever needed it? From a person who knowingly donated their body parts after death or from an animal who is slaughtered without a second thought for their right to life? Easy choice really.

the grey lines... :D if you have a choice that's fine. In hospitals here there is little choice when the medicine you need is derived from animal products and is the only medicine available for you then there is little choice. The way I look at it is, its a life choice but sometimes life chooses for us and we have no choice in that. I do what I can and that's the important bit.

Do you not eat vegetables that are fertilised by animal manure that is the result of the meat industry :P without that how would the garden grow?

• Advertisement

The idea is that it will all be synthesized.

Also, inorganic fertilizer, and the more people that use it the better it gets!

The only issue in using inorganic fertilizer is excessive use can lead to a build up of salts in the soil which will wreck your crop. And they are made using fossil fuels, another issue for our planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Perhaps I should go round collecting all the wild animal poo and then sell it as vegan manure :)

Also, inorganic fertilizer, and the more people that use it the better it gets!

This has had me thinking all night and it is yet another aspect I had not thought about. Do vegans not buy organic vegetables on a matter of principle? For example I read an article (not to hand and a bit hazy on the detail) that a lettuce crop had been sprayed with pesticides 13 times while growing, I found that a bit off putting and I had health and environmental concerns over that tbh.

This has just been posted recently and it raises serious health issues when it comes to inorganicly produced food:

"that organic food is high in antioxidants and lower in toxic metals and pesticides".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91250522&postcount=1

Another issue for me when I started there were over 1 billion people hungry, now it is just over 842 million.

http://www.wfp.org/hunger/stats

Loosely speaking the resources for 10 vegi dinners go into 1 meat dinner, so in my mind there are the potential resources to overcome hunger here already, but there is no way organic methods can produce the same amount of food that inorganic methods do.

As always everything is a double edged sword. I do what I can.

Now that I would love, as I have aful problems with the taste of soya milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

muafza.jpg
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0807/635652-peta/

This story has been doing the rounds over at AH and the like. Seems PETA are trying to run this billboard ad in Dublin featuring a human leg on a plate, while going on to say in their press release "Eating meat is eating a corpse". I'd love to know where veggies stand on this.

Aside from PETA which is a touchy subject in itself, personally I think moves with ads like this can really go someway to alienate veg*ns in society. The underlying concept with the message of avoiding animal suffering is I guess something that most of us as veggies subscribe to. (Along with other reasons such as health, personal beliefs etc....) However I think it get's lost as I'd say veggies are already following that lifestyle, while non-veggies seem just to be provoked into a negative response, (many "I'll eat two steaks today just to show them" type comments doing the rounds today), negativity which occasionally filters down to become a stigma i.e that veg*ns are perhaps pushy, judgemental, self righteous (I'm sure you know the stereotype)

So basically, will something like this do more harm than good, or is any publicity good publicity? (Though I definitely lean towards the former)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Peta would have a far bigger impact on the welfare of animals TODAY with 1 simple advert.
    You don't have a cholesterol problem, you have a food problem.
    You don't have a blood pressure problem, you have a food problem.
    You don't have a weight problem, you have a food problem.

Vegans are healthy mother funkers, are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

ch750536 wrote: »
    Peta would have a far bigger impact on the welfare of animals TODAY with 1 simple advert.

But that's not true?? Vegans can be overweight, unhealthy and with high cholesterol - cholesterol levels are largely to do with genetics, diet and exercise, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I know loads of unhealthy vegans. The typical modern vegan diet today is far removed from the B12 fortified, whole plant foods diet in the studies where it's used to lower cholesterol, reverse diabetes, reduce risk of heart disease etc.

That's why animal rights should be at the core of your campaign if you're gonna promote veganism, because it is what it is and can't be argued against. Whereas, you can argue there are many unhealthy veigans and my uncle ate meat everyday of his life and lived to 100 etc. You can't blame peta and vegan outreach or whoever for promoting vegan junk food either because they probably have to put up with "I couldn't give up meat but I love animals" all day and I suppose maybe that stuff is good because so many people vegan or not clearly don't care about their health anyway.

But that's not true?? Vegans can be overweight, unhealthy and with high cholesterol - cholesterol levels are largely to do with genetics, diet and exercise, as far as I know.

Cholesterol is only in animal products. Vegans dont eat animal products so we only have our own natural cholesterol. Most people have cholesterol problems through eating cholesterol.

• Advertisement

I know loads of unhealthy vegans. The typical modern vegan diet today is far removed from the B12 fortified, whole plant foods diet in the studies where it's used to lower cholesterol, reverse diabetes, reduce risk of heart disease etc.

There are under nourished vegans, this is far healthier than over nourished carnivores in my opinion.
    That's why animal rights should be at the core of your campaign if you're gonna promote veganism, because it is what it is and can't be argued against.
    Certainly should be A argument but not the argument. Lots of people care about themselves but not animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

ch750536 wrote: »
    Cholesterol is only in animal products. Vegans dont eat animal products so we only have our own natural cholesterol. Most people have cholesterol problems through eating cholesterol.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholesterol/Pages/Causes.aspx

Don't disagree with any of that if you understand it correctly. Basically what it says is that fatty foods also contain cholesterol. They are generalising but for a good reason. Asking people to avoid saturated fat foods will make them avoid cholesterol as most people get saturated fat from animal products and not from nuts, oils etc.

Form the first link on that page:
    Diet
    Eating an unhealthy diet that is high in fat will cause fatty plaques to build up in your arteries. This is because fatty foods contain cholesterol.

We all know olive oil, peanuts etc don't have cholesterol even though they are fatty foods. However, the act of generalising has the best long term effect.

I also agree with everything else in that link. My wife has a hereditary cholesterol issue. In 3 months she went from 7.9 to 5.2 on a vegan diet. The diet was high in saturated fats but not from animal sources so no cholesterol. This meant the only source was her own natural cholesterol which is not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm very, very much in two minds about this ad campaign...

On the one hand, vegetarians and vegans are reputed to be pushy and holier-than-thou (can't say I've ever experienced that when I was still eating meat, but people seem to be happy to believe it). So with a campaign like this, that stereotype gets further promotion and will, as others have pointed out, only heighten the negativity towards not eating meat and animal products.

On the other hand, why should vegetarians and vegan keep quite with their concerns about animal welfare? Just so as to not aggravate certain parts of society?
    This situation isn't altogether too unlike the atheist bus campaign - slap an ad on the side of a bus saying "There probably is no god, so have a lie-in on Sunday" and all of a sudden atheists are pushing their beliefs on others, when for decades evangelists of various different couleurs have been ringing on doorbells up and down the country to annoy the occupiers, and religious aspects even form a part of the country's constitution.

There are ads for steak, chicken, fish, pork, sausages, rashers, burgers - any for of meat you could imagine on telly every single day, yet PETA should be derided for showing one ad saying they aren't happy with people eating animals?
    A bit of perspective, please.

Speaking of campaigns, this was found in a lidl in Ireland:

10459034_10152312783666194_7188421636744278091_o.jpg

Hopefully google auto translates this for you...

Sea Shepherd global headquarters moved to Amsterdam.......

http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/4041/AMSTERDAM-ZUID/article/detail/3770967/2014/10/17/Dierenactivistengroep-Sea-Shepherd-opent-hoofdkantoor-in-Zuid.dhtml

They also have a merch shop there, it just opened today.

“Walking Dead” Cast and Crew Turn Vegetarian After Gruesome Scenes

Bit of an exaggeration, but apparently Norman Reedus is now vegetarian and lots of the cast and crew admitted being put off meat from filming the show, realistically I doubt many meat-eaters would make the connection but (show spoiler)
    terminus basically turned out to be a slaughterhouse, replace cows/pigs/w/e with people and there's a strong reaction, go figure

Norman Reedus awesome either way

ec2bf0f3fc94ecc4a3f1bc118288aff9.jpg

Unilever is suing Hampton Creek for deceptive eggless mayo

The powerful mayo lobby is now against us :pac: Really pathetic

Woah that is unreal. It's good to see how popular it has become so fast but man that case is ridiculous. Hope it gets fecked out. That's it, I'm signing that petition heh

Also, how come unilevers mayo says "real" mayonnaise on it if there are no other kinds? Case closed. :pac:

sign it all you like, don't think it's going to do anything! Signing a petition against one of the biggest multinationals, good luck with that lol

It's funny if you look at unilevers facebook page they would have you think they are some kind of humanitarian business

• Advertisement
Advertisement