Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speciesism: The Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Before I watch that trailer, are there any animal abuse/slaughterhouse etc scenes?

I'm not one to shy away from the truth by any means, but I've seen so many horrible videos and I'm far too aware of the horrific things that happen, I try not to actually watch those kinda things anymore as it just bums me out way too much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Before I watch that trailer, are there any animal abuse/slaughterhouse etc scenes?

I'm not one to shy away from the truth by any means, but I've seen so many horrible videos and I'm far too aware of the horrific things that happen, I try not to actually watch those kinda things anymore as it just bums me out way too much :(

I'm going to watch it this evening so I'll get back to you. That's a fair point, from what I've read about it so far it seems to be more of a thought-provoking film with sometimes a humorous approach.

edit: sorry you meant the trailer, no there isn't anything graphic in the trailer, the trailer is very SFW, there are no animals in it besides a one second clip near the end of pigs hanging up inside a slaughterhouse but it's very non-graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks!

Yeah it looks good, looking forward to watching it now :)

I realise they have to put the nastier stuff in to show people just how wrong it is, but for those of us that have already seen and know all about that side, it can be a miserable reminder!

Like you say though, it does seem to have some humour running through it.

I've just finished watching this movie, it is amazing, really unique among this genre and very thought-provoking. I am happy to tell you all that no tears were shed while watching this film :pac: It is totally non-graphic, some very very mild scenes of lame animals in slaughterhouses, nothing worse than that I promise you. This is not a shock-factor film like 'Earthlings'. I think everyone should at least try to watch earthlings once to confront the truth but I know watching something like that is a very traumatic experience. But you do have to look after your own mental state so if you can't/won't watch something like earthlings, then try this movie. Personally I have to watch myself with the amount of graphic footage I consume because it does really affect me. I found the approach of this film very refreshing, the film-maker has a very witty/sarcastic approach so the film can be quite funny and enjoyable to watch, there are also some happy animal scenes :) I learned a thing or two from this film, found it very relate-able, especially when the guy in the car is talking about the holocaust happening all around him and you feel like you're the only one seeing what's happening, it can make being vegan hard sometimes. There is a nice little nod to astronomy in the film too ;)

It's only $1.99 to rent on vimeo, that is about €1.45. The film-maker started making this movie while he was only 20 in college and raised all the funds himself so €1.45 is a small price to pay to support this film. If you've watched it I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Rented this out, great watch. Funny, informative, you ask questions of yourself. Nice to see a film about "Speciesism" as popularized by Peter Singer.
    He talks to a great variety of people, Peter Singer, Dawkins, Temple Grandin, a disability rights activist, a vivisector as well as average joe in the street, people at slaughterhouses, people at PETA and other organisations etc. Interesting to think of animal pain being so intense because they can not rationalise it like us, not understanding as well what is happening and feeling the fear and pain wash over them completely. And thoughts on moral treatment of mentally damaged people vs animals that have greater intellect than them are interesting to think about.

Non-human animals have also gone through evolutionary stages like us and are very similar, they want to live and are afraid to die. We all have survival instinct, we all feel pain and joy, nobody questions that a dog feels joy. Remember its only revolutions in the recent past that have even given rights to most people let alone animals and we must look forward to treating every animal as it should be. There is a scientific base from evolutionary biology and also from observational science that justifies expanding our morality to include all sentient creatures and this film is a great insight into it.

• Advertisement

Ye I liked the people aspect too, very clever

Advertisement