Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ecstasy "not actually harmful" ... row erupts

• 02-09-2002 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

From a Sky News headline:
    A row has erupted after experts suggested that Ecstasy may not be dangerous and people were being misled about the drug.

Three psychologists strongly criticised animal and human studies which say the drug causes long-term brain damage and mental problems.

Effects 'imaginary'

But anti-drug campaigners and other scientists insisted the harmful effects of ecstasy were undeniable.

Paul Betts, whose daughter Leah died after taking the drug in 1995, described the experts' claims as "despicable".

Writing in the magazine The Psychologist, published by the British Psychological Society, the researchers said reported adverse effects of Ecstasy could even be "imaginary".

Dr Jon Cole, who researches addictive behaviour, and Harry Sumnall, a postdoctoral researcher at Liverpool University, together with Professor Charles Grob, a child and adolescent psychiatrist from California co-wrote the report.

Studies 'flawed'

Dr Cole and his colleagues were highly critical of the way studies involving young Ecstasy users were conducted.

The experts said that studies of Ecstasy users were riddled with confounding factors, and that researchers were guilty of bias.

They pointed out that Ecstasy users took other drugs as well, and some of the symptoms reported mirrored those caused by staying awake all night and dancing.

Although numerous tests were run on volunteers, only positive results were reported in detail, while negative data were ignored, they said.

Most study participants were self-selected and from universities, raising doubts about how well they represented the general population.

'Despicable'

But Mr Betts believed there was a hidden motive behind the Psychologist article.

"I think it's despicable," he said. "It has been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that every single Ecstasy tablet destroys parts of the brain. The main thing it destroys is serotonin, and depression follows on from serotonin depletion."

Dr Michael Morgan, senior lecturer in experimental psychology at the University of Sussex said he had found "overwhelming evidence" that regular Ecstasy use causes impulsive behaviour and impaired verbal memory.

Surveys indicate that about 10% of UK adults, aged 15 to 29, have tried ecstasy.

The figure jumps to about 90% for young people regularly attending outdoor raves or nightclubs where ecstasy is said to be widespread.

Between 1993 and 1997 there were 72 deaths in the UK attributed to ecstasy. During the same period there were 158 deaths caused by amphetamine or "speed", another popular dance drug.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

This is a disgrace think of what young ppl who see this now,they are being lead to believe that E is now harmless fun.
    Who must be the next to die,before idiotic articules like this are condemned to the rubbish bin where they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Sigh.

This is the same rubbish we get every time scientists point out the truth - that there is absolutely bugger all evidence to support the claims that ecstasy is a damaging drug. New Scientist ran a feature on research which showed no damages from the drug, followed by this Psychologist piece on seperate research proving exactly the same thing.

I'm very sorry for Paul Betts' loss of his daughter, but he's getting very tiresome now. He's not a scientist and he doesn't know what he's talking about - the fact of the matter is that his daughter wouldn't have died if accurate information about how to take ecstasy safely was available. There are two very famous Ecstasy related cases where death resulted from taking the drug - one where a girl died of dehydration and subsequent heart failure, another where a girl died of drinking TOO much and subseqent heart failure. Both occured because of misinformation about the drug; in the latter case, it was misinformation which came from anti-drug campaigns.
    Between 1993 and 1997 there were 72 deaths in the UK attributed to ecstasy.

Note "attributed". There's now extensive evidence which suggests that this is utter bollocks - most of the deaths occured in people who had consumed a cocktail of drugs, and Ecstasy, as the "designer drug" of the time, was blamed in order to promote an anti-Ecstasy agenda.

Vastly more people die every year from taking prescription anti-depressants than die from taking Ecstasy. It's food for thought. And what's Paul Betts' "hidden agenda" claim all about? Are these reputable scientists running out and dealing drugs on a Friday night? Or is the only real agenda here his own determination, along with the rabid anti-drugs campaigners, to prove that MDMA is evil, even if the weight of proof is against them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Originally posted by Shinji

the fact of the matter is that his daughter wouldn't have died if accurate information about how to take ecstasy safely was available.
    [/B]

can i just say, having lost a friend to this disgusting drug, i am sickened that u appear to be against the people who want rid of this disease on society.

and Leah's Betts' father may seem "tiresome" to u, but u cant blame him for wanting to prevent other parents suffering the massive loss he has suffered. by publicly claiming ecstacy is a safe drug, these scientists are merely adding to the drug problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I knew someone who died as a result of taking Ecstacy.
    He didn't die from taking contaminated Ecstasy, he died from Ecstacy.
    Likewise, he didn't die from misinformation regarding the drug, he died from the drug itself.

I am not active in any anti-drug campaign and I have nothing more to add to this thread.

Ho hum, knew I'd get this. You're both scientists and doctors I take it? You're able to categorically say you know what your friends cause of death was?

You can make "sickened" noises about diseases on society all you like, but let me tell you what the real problem is here.

There are very evil drugs out there. There are things out there that ruin lives and destroy families. There are truly hideous substances out there that do astonishingly bad things to the human body but are so addictive that we don't even know where to START detoxing people.

Ecstasy is not one of those drugs. It is an almost entirely safe recreational drug, which would be made even safer by legislation which allowed the balance of ingredients in the tablets to be regulated.

However, it is constantly demonised by the anti-drugs types; the people who saw pictures of Leah Betts and believed whatever the newspaper said; the simple and untrue explanation being "she died of ecstasy use", the more complex explanation being a lot harder to sell newspapers with. These people unwittingly contribute to the problem caused by the genuinely evil drugs, because frankly, millions of people take Ecstasy every weekend in Britain and Ireland, and once they've done it once, they KNOW that you're lying about it.

... And if you're lying about Ecstasy, what else are you lying about? Cocaine? Heroin? Crack?

There's a computer security phrase, "security through obscurity" - it refers to trying to protect something by not telling anyone the full facts about the protection system. It's a byword for a system that doesn't work, and that's what we're seeing here - an attempt to cover up FACTS about a drug in order to pursue an agenda and demonise it. Like security through obscurity, it doesn't work; and it does more harm than good.

Tell people the god damned truth, let them know the real risks, and let them make up their own minds. Slamming scientists who publish honest, empirical research that doesn't agree with your own opinions is the action of a complete bloody moron - facts are facts, whether you like them or not, and just because you're blinded by your emotional attachment doesn't change a damn thing about that.

• Advertisement

I can say what killed him, because I went to the trouble of finding out.

I still have nothing more to add to this thread except:

To those of you out there with an open mind:
    Do not consider taking this drug unless you have gone to a doctor and your doctor has checked that you have no heart problems and there is no history of mental instability in your family.

These Three psychologists do not back up their arguement with hard proof,it's merely what there studies have found. I would like a detailed breakdown of these studies outlining where they investigated the actual chemical properties of Ecstasy and their affect over a prolonged period of time.

Also where did these so called scientists get all this ecstasy to carry out thier study? they should be charged with possesion and distrubition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shinji both of the case's you mentioned resulted in a needless death. The fact that the taking of Ecstasy contributed indirectly as you claim still calls for the banning of the drug. If the 2 people who died had not of taking Ecstasy then they would still be alive as the drinking to much/not drinking enough water would not have been a factor.

You statement about prescription drugs is also out of wack. More people take prescription drugs then thoese who take Ecstasy so the odd's of having a bad reaction to a prescription drug is much greater. Prescription drug are very dangerious if not taking properly and thats not even factoring in the people who are alergic to certain types of prescription drugs.

More people died in car accidents each year that those who die from walking/messing around on train tracks but that dont mean fooling around on train tracks is safer than driving a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ok ... first off, I wonder how much "negative" information was ignored by these three researchers and how it might have actually indirectly have affected another result elsewhere ..........

therefore this study is HEAVILY flawed, since they are using assumption that no negative effects have any bearing on the final result.

Secondly, Shinji ... E is not a "harmless" drug. NO drug is harmless. Even prescription drugs can kill/cause lasting damage. What you are advocating is that people are allowed to use chemical substances in an uncontrolled manner as if they would light up a cigarette.

One girl died from lack of water .... a necessity due to taking the tablets (i.e. take water after taking E or you'll die)

ANother girl died from taking too much water .... due to the necessity to take water because of the tablets. (i.e. taking water after taking E)

What was the common factor in both their deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Shinji
    There's a computer security phrase, "security through obscurity" - it refers to trying to protect something by not telling anyone the full facts about the protection system. It's a byword for a system that doesn't work, and that's what we're seeing here - an attempt to cover up FACTS about a drug in order to pursue an agenda and demonise it. Like security through obscurity, it doesn't work; and it does more harm than good.

Tell people the god damned truth, let them know the real risks, and let them make up their own minds. Slamming scientists who publish honest, empirical research that doesn't agree with your own opinions is the action of a complete bloody moron - facts are facts, whether you like them or not, and just because you're blinded by your emotional attachment doesn't change a damn thing about that.

I have to agree with you on these points.

There has been quite a bit of evidence recently with regard medial and scientific journals publishing docotored material.
    With regard certain studies, future funding is only guaranteed if a positive result is obtained.
    And there has abeen an increasing trend towards only publishing positive results or desireable ones.
    Medical test results on some developmental drugs have been doctored ( by re-using old info and repackaging it to look like new data) or by 'adjusting' the numbers to fit a certain criteria so as to give the impression of a certain result while being free of any comeback saying that such-and-such was stated etc.

Don't believe everything you read.

Re:Ecstasy, I woudln't take it myself.
    More of a gardner then a chemist :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Lemming

One girl died from lack of water .... a necessity due to taking the tablets (i.e. take water after taking E or you'll die)

ANother girl died from taking too much water .... due to the necessity to take water because of the tablets. (i.e. taking water after taking E)

What was the common factor in both their deaths?

Stupidity.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

i for once agree with shinji on this one
    havent done e in ages and probaly wont again
    but it needs to be legalized and made by ppl who have the right conditions to make the pills
    instead of sum knacker in his back shed
    allthough i wouldnt condone the use of it, it would prevent dodggy pills going around
    in amsterdamm in clubs they have places were u can test and see if your pill is safe or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by logic1

Stupidity.

.logic.

Well .. besides that.

But one of the girls knew that she had to drink water. So she was "edu-mac-ated" in the use of E. But no-one ever mentioned drinking too much water did they?

Actually Lemming, what wasn't mentioned was the fact that having to drink water is nothing to do with E - it's to do with dancing a lot in a hot club environment. Common sense really! In the second case, the misinformation about E carried by the media (and often by schools) led to a girl who took a tab and didn't dance at all managing to drink several litres of water and rupture her stomach because she was afraid she was going to die if she didn't drink loads of water.

Had basic information about the drug been available to her, as opposed to scaremongering rubbish that sells newspapers, she would be alive today.

You can say "well, if she hadn't taken Ecstasy she'd be fine too", but frankly, you're NOT about to stop people taking E. Twenty five million E tablets are sold in Britain every weekend - millions of regular users of the drug have found it to be a safe, controllable high which gives them a good feeling without the lack of self-control or mood swings associated with alcohol.

Venom - actually, I was talking specifically about anti-depression prescription drugs; I can look up the specific class of drug if you want. I doubt it's been prescribed to anything like the 3 million people who take ecstasy at least twice a month. As I recall, it killed more people than an other substance in the UK last year... with the exception of, er, alcohol.

Sposs, you get a response post all of your own because you're possibly the single post stupid poster I've seen on Boards.ie in, er... well, about three hours.

These Three psychologists do not back up their arguement with hard proof,it's merely what there studies have found.

Er, their SCIENTIFIC STUDIES are what would generally be called "hard proof" by any reasonable human being. What do you want, an edict written by the hand of God himself?

Besides which, the main thrust of the article is not their own studies; it is an attack on the utterly unprofessional and unscientific manner in which many other researchers have carried out research into Ecstasy.
    I would like a detailed breakdown of these studies outlining where they investigated the actual chemical properties of Ecstasy and their affect over a prolonged period of time.

In that case I suggest you get in contact with the back issues departments of both Psychologist and New Scientist. I think Nature carried a piece about this approximately four months ago as well.

For what it's worth, the chemical properties of MDMA are well known and understood - it's a human formulated drug after all - and the long-term effects of the drug over about 20 years have now been studied. All attempts to prove any kind of adverse reaction have proved utterly inconclusive, leaving absolutely no evidence to back up the claims of anti-drugs campaigners in this field.

There is a very famous piece of research which alleged to show that a monkey's brain exposed to MDMA had gradually shrivelled - some of you may have seen the posters the anti-drugs types used, with "before" and "after" shots of the brain. It now transpires that actually this research was utterly unscientific, the results of it were not actually anything to do with MDMA use, and even the chap responsible for the project had now disowned it, claiming that what started as a good bit of science was hijacked by government political agenda.
    Also where did these so called scientists get all this ecstasy to carry out thier study? they should be charged with possesion and distrubition.

Dear god in heaven, you really are an idiot. How are we meant to understand these substances if we don't study them? Or should we just sit and believe whatever the tabloids feed us about everything under the sun? Just because YOU are incapable of independent thought doesn't mean that the rest of the human race is so terminally stupid, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Yup its quite simple, prohibition kills, Question, if ectasty was legal,regulated and an allergy test available from a docter, how many people would ectasty kill?

far less then alcohol thats for sure.so could all the moralists please refute the failure of prohibition in chicago before going on your rants.prohibition in alcohol resulted in mass organised crime, and many cases of blindness and death from wood alcohol poisoning. it clearly didnt work.

britain maintained 30,000 veterans on morphine and heroin after the first and second world wars after they became addicted, most if not all went on to live full healthy lives because the drugs were administered by physicians not scumbags.

now apply prohibition to opiates, we have junkies stealing, and dieing, who would otherwise be living lives approaching normal, if it were docters not scumbags administering there addiction.and for those of you who would complain about your taxs going on to help these people, the trials in england and switzerland shows that such maintainance programs allow addicts to go back to work and as such pay taxs a far more positive contribution to society then is the case under prohibition.

its quite simple prohibition drives the problem underground and refuses to try and solve the problems.it hasnt worked anywhere and to be quite honest youd have better luck banning dancing of any form.

pragmatism is the word needed here i think.

Your a sad little man Shinji, i suggest you go take a few ectasty
    drink lots of water,then come back and tell me there harmless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I certainly won't be using Ecstasy and I'll strongly advise anyone else not to use it.

In my opinion the most dangerous thing about most of those chemical based drugs is not the drug itself (with some exceptions) but the wierd shít that is cut into it. When I take prescription drugs from the chemist at least I know that regardless what wierd stuff is in them they are a consistent quality of mixture. E on the other hand is not and can contain anything from Rat Poison to Washing Powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    I certainly won't be using Ecstasy and I'll strongly advise anyone else not to use it.

In my opinion the most dangerous thing about most of those chemical based drugs is not the drug itself (with some exceptions) but the wierd shít that is cut into it. When I take prescription drugs from the chemist at least I know that regardless what wierd stuff is in them they are a consistent quality of mixture. E on the other hand is not and can contain anything from Rat Poison to Washing Powder.

I think that you just hit the nail on the head there Leeroy.

oh and Sposs, you and idiot.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think he has actually.

This all reminds me of Reefer Madness.. back in the 50's and 60's.

Alcohol kills tens of thousands a year here in Ireland and we ignore it.... why IS that?

Read that again. Tens of thousands. Every year. Here in Ireland.
    http://www.ias.org.uk/alert/01issue2/celticmyths2.htm

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Between 1993 and 1997 there were 72 deaths in the UK attributed to ecstasy.

Well up to last year from about 1994-2001 around 100 people died from CJD caught from infected British beef-which means eating UK beef is/was as dangerous as taking ecstasy.And yet the EC insists on pushing the rest of europe to buy their disease ridden meat?(even today checks are quite lazy).
    Something like 1.5 million pills are taken every week.About 75 million a year.So in 4 years about 300 million.72 deaths of 300 million pills results in a roughly 1 in 4 million chance of death.And many ecstasy deaths happen because the victim has taken a huge amount of pills.
    Some over the counter/prescription stuff is as dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The main problem with ecstacy is the way in which it is produced. Somebody producing mass quantities of it in a small gritty lab somewhere will always lead to an unsafe production of the drug. The people who produce these things usually arent to bothered about putting in the correct "ingredients." A large proportion of ecstacy tablets contain little to no MDMA, and usually contain a mostly speed and the likes.

While ecstacy is in no ways harmless I wouldnt consider the drug itself extremly harmful (if produced properly, not the way the masses of it are being produced) Ecstacy can have a very bad effect on certain users, especially if people have underlying mental/physical ailments.

Having known many people who do/still take ecstacy most weekends I am all to aware of its effects/sideffects. I see nothing wrong in people taking any type of drug tbh as at the end of the day it is their choice. Unless of course someone is spiked which is a disgraceful thing for someone to do to someone.

The simple fact of it is, that until ecstacy is produced properly, and by properly I mean produced in hygenic conditions, using the "ingredients" that were meant for the drug to contain, it will never be turely safe and even then depending on the user there may well still be nasty sideffects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Do not buy drugs from some punk dealer, with the assurance that what you bought is what you get!

If E was a moderated substance then yeah, fine, but it is not, and you really dont know what you are buying....and then you dont know what you are dying from....

..."Im her best friend and she took a tablet before she went on the dance floor and now she is in the hospital"......

sposs, a proposed reality test wont change the discussion, and is pretty unfeasable

Your a sad little man Shinji, i suggest you go take a few ectasty drink lots of water,then come back and tell me there harmless.

Er, already have done. I have quite a bit of personal experience of the drug - however, unlike the anti-drugs types here, I don't take my personal experience as evidence to back up my argument, because it's not representative of society as a whole. I'm rather more inclined to believe the opinions of scientific experts in this field.

E on the other hand is not and can contain anything from Rat Poison to Washing Powder.

Ah, the famous "E is cut with rat poison" thing... God knows where that came from. The VAST majority of E is cut with glucose, becuase it's cheap and easy to make tablets with. Occasionally tabs contain Speed rather than or as well as MDMA, which is definitely a slightly more dangerous drug than Ecstasy (although still not in the realms of tobacco or alcohol...). Self-test kits like those promoted by Dancesafe help people to identify what's a good MDMA tab and what's to be avoided; regulation of the industry would help a hell of a lot more.

One key thing to remember when spouting rumours about E being cut with dangerous substances - drug dealing is a business, and businesses which kill their customers or make them violently ill do not last for very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Shinji hit the nail on the head there, it's a fairly simple task to find out whether or not your pills are coming from a reliable source.

Business is Business and as such dealers can't have people dropping like flies.

This stuff about it being cut with rat poison etc is just stupid. They cut it with glucose, just like speed/coke would be cut.

I've done a few tabs and don't intend to do any more (been there done) but when I wanted to try out my first one (aged 16 going to see the Prodigy play the point I did my own research)

I found plenty of USEFUL information in the various english clubbers/ravers magazines at the time, more specifically what kind of pills to avoid, exactly how much water you should require (shouldn't exceed a pint every hour or two because you may not realise that your body can't handle it and may cause yourself permanent damage/death) right down to how much you can expect to be paying for your high.

It's a pity more people don't exercise the grey matter in their brains before jumping straight in and taking ecstacy or any other drug for that matter.

A good friend of mine at the time who also wanted to try it out was doing his own research and found that anyone with an irregular heartbeat/flutter should steer well clear of it because it may well kill them. He had such a problem with his heart and as such never went near it.

I still go out with people who enjoy taking a tab and going dancing but I won't indulge myself anymore. Nonetheless I also know a person who died from this drug and the reason for it being they did no research, had a small problem with their heart and they paid for it.

Life is fragile, treat it with respect and you will have a fruitful life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

The whole anti E campaign is just another human quirk - our inaccurate preception of the dangers around us, too many people not really thinking about the dangerous properties of the world.

72 people die of taking E in the UK. I mean about 10 people die by tripping in an attempt to put on a pair of socks each year in the UK - and that is a fact.

Think of how many people die on the roads, think of how many people die of alcohol or alcohol related accidents/incidents. ****ing thousands and thousands of people do - your granny passes away from cancer after smoking for 50 years it doesn't make front page of the sun. People a aren't willing to exercise independant thought but instead are led by whatever is making the media money or whatever is the lattest "fad" way of thinking.

A little danger is good in our lives, it's part of having a healthy will to live - and if more people knew the facts about danger in the world around us then you can be damn sure ther'd be more of us alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭m0o|Dino

all smoke cannabis and yee shall all be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Sposs
    Your a sad little man Shinji

Actually I've met him, and he's neither sad nor little ;)

... oh,. - and he seems to know what he's talking about - far more so than you, Sposs.

I don't like being dragged back in here but on the first page of this thread two people replied to say they know 2 people who died from taking Ecstasy and all we see in the following replies is that Ecstacy related deaths aren't that widespread and the risks are low. If I didn't know someone who died from the drug then I might agree with you.
    I'd now like to ask everyone else who has contributed to this thread if they personally knew anyone who died from taking this drug and if so are they honestly in favour of the legalisation of this drug.

If they are in favour of selling this drug over the counter then how do they propose to package/deliver it so that some young person who has never had a proper checkup with a bad heart doesn't get a heart attack there and then when they consume it. If you can answer that one then you are on your way to winning the arguement and making themselves a fortune in the process. If you can't then you'll understnad why the product can't be sold legally. The closest we have got to legal E are stimulant drinks and they aren't very safe according to some studies.

If you are selling a product knowing that a small proportion of your customers will die within minutes of consuming it directly as a result of consuming it and not by some misadventure then you have to pull the product from the shelves.

For this thread to progress you are going to have to consider Social responsibility, a consitiutional right to life and bodily integrity because this discussion is going nowhere as it stands.

At the moment the only thing agreed upon here is that Ecstacy can kill but the nature of the risk and the numbers affected are disputed.

• Advertisement

all we see in the following replies is that Ecstacy related deaths aren't that widespread and the risks are low. If I didn't know someone who died from the drug then I might agree with you.

I don't think you quite understand.

It doesn't matter a tupenny damn whether you "agree" or not. Nobody actually cares whether you "agree" or "disagree" with something which is clinically, empirically, scientifically proven. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of pure science - in roughly the same was as "the earth is round" is not a matter of opinion any more.

This is the fundamental point which tabloid readers and the emotionally involved seem to miss all the time - once facts are established, opinions become worthless.

By the way, by your reasoning, we most certainly should not be selling peanuts. A small number of people can die from ingesting a very small amount of peanut, making them a massively dangerous product to a tiny minority of people. Yet we continue to irresponsibly make them available over the counter just because the rest of us selfishly enjoy their salty, peanutty flavour!

By the way, the heart thing is not proven to be a direct effect of E - it's thought to be an effect of dancing for a prolonged time putting your heart under strain it's not used to. An unfit person with a heart problem who tried to run a marathon would die for the same reasons. E makes you want to dance, but if you're not physically fit to, you shouldn't. Alcohol makes you want to make clumsy passes at attractive people and punch unattractive people, but realistically you shouldn't do those things either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I also agree with Shinji on this basicaly it all comes down to 1 thing.

1 Do you know what you are taking???

The people who took these tablets and died knew what they were taking it was not like the choked on a sweet they knew full well that it was illegal and allegdley dangerous.

I used to take E every weekend the most i took in one night was 7 but by this stage they were crap and the content had been diluted ,when i 1st started taking them they were £25 each and full of MDMA "Mad B@stards or White Doves " was there name.

I knew exactly what i was doing and exactly what i was taking.
    If i knew what to do whilst on them over 11 years ago im sure the information i got was available for everyone.

I havent taken any in about 2/3 years.
    I personally dont know anyone who died from but did see people die from them one died in Dame Street outside Sides a few years ago he was "unfit and running a marathon".
    Another in The Asylum off O Connell Street.
    Shinji is correct is the way he puts it .

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IMO, the fear about ecstasy all comes from the suddenness of deaths from it. We say 72 people have died from ecstasy, but in the same period thousands have died from alcohol related illnesses. I think the difference here is that people know why the alcohol kills - ie it's a slow process (normally) from alcohol abuse, and as such people know that it is preventable, and curable. The fact that people are known to have died after just 1 E, scares parents, because they know that if their child goes out and does this only once there is a chance (however small) that the child will die, and there is nothing the parent can do about it. The same cannot (technically) be said for alcohol though.

We all know that the media, particularly the british, will scaremonger when it comes to illegal substances, or at the very least they'll always side with popular opinion. As others here have said, very few, if any, tabs are cut with rat poison, and at the end of the day, dealers don't want to be killing customers. Yet the discovery of one or two in Britain would cause media frenzy. On the night Leah Betts died, you can be sure there were 20 others who died from alcohol poisoning or other drink-related reasons, yet they didn't make the headlines because alcohol is legal.

I'm not saying E should be legalised, but as they say, knowledge is power, so we should educate kids on what every drug does to you (ie what the high is like), and on how to act while under it's influence (eg drinking the correct amount of fluids on E). If drugs are presented in an objective light, then kids can make their own decisions without being swayed by the opinion of their school/parents. 'Cause we all know, that if a school says "This is really bad! Don't do it!" The kids will be all the more enticed to go out and do it.

[I've never done E and don't intend to. I have a quite a strict 'no pills unless I need them' rule :)]

The person I know died directly as a result of taking E, his (weak)heart giving out on him and not by dancing until he dropped. I did not find out what happened to him by reading a newspaper.

Those who disagree with me have only seen the positive aspects of taking ecstasy. To make a decision on any subject you must acquaint yourself with both the pros and cons to the discussion. The majority of you are discounting the cons because you have had no practical experience of them.

My opinions haven't been formed by the scaremongering of tabloids or the establishment or conversely by what is considered acceptable in youth counter culture.

Your peanut coated silver bullet has nothing to do with the subject and you know it so don't bring it into the argument.
    Nuts are a foodstuff, just like milk which isn't good for those who are lactose intolerant. Ecstasy is a recreational drug which is of no nutritional benefit to anyone.

Shinji, I really don't get your point about facts and opinions. I know as a matter of fact that E killied someone. That is not opinion. Shinji all your are presenting are your opinions and your using some research which doesn't reach definitive conclusions to back it up. I've got a tombstone and bodycount to back up my position.
    Shinji, I'm not trying to score points on you so I don't understand why you are trying to discount my arguements so agressively.
    I also understand why people feel stongly about the subject - at present society criminalises a large proportion of it's youth solely becuase they use this drug but the drug is dangerous to a small proportion of society and that they do need to be protected.
    Shinji, I am not a doctor or scientist reasarching the area but I have armed myself with facts, not conjecture about my experiences of Ecstasy. Have you? According to your profile your areas of experience are writing about games and being paid for it. So, do you have any skills or practical experience of the negative aspects of Ecstasy that make you better qualified to comment on the matter than those who disagree with you.

Now, I really am out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Just a point....but you said your friends weak heart gave out...

Was that more of a factor than the e?

I know a guy who died when his heart gave out after drinking alcohol...

Not that I'm condoning it or anything...just wondering is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I agree with Seamus (good post) and Shinji, and also would like to see Deco's question answered by Mailman.

(Guess I better say that for the record I've never taken E)

Anyone with a possible heart problem, and who also takes E, or drinks seriously (binge drinks), or exercises to extreme, is just plain dumb. More than dumb in fact. All of these 3 things are fatal.

Lets ban exercise - it may kill you!

I guess the question is, "do you know if you have a possible heart problem?".

Above all, be educated, rational, and don't listen to the opinions of a couple of Sunday rags, or hot-headed and/or emotional people posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Basically, what Shinji said.

Using the "I know someone who died from it so its bad" argument just dosent sell in a discussion based on scientific facts.

I would LOVE (and I mean that genuinely out of curiosity) to hear from the people who "know someone who died from E" (especially you Mailman) on what the doctors officially pronounced the people as dying from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

undeniable scientific FACT about ecstacy deaths:

most deaths from ecstacy occur from over hydration or dehydration.

the myth that when youre on E you should drinkn loads and loads of water has probably caused more deaths than anything else related to the drug.

however that study is flawd, as im sure they did all their tests with pure MDMA, as opposed to pills containing MDMA, Ketamine, Amphetamine and LSD cocktails.

fact of the matter is, that they ARE dangerous if you dont know what youre doing or if you are the unlucky one in 4million who gets a pill containing something youre allergic to. but theyre not as dangerous as people would ahve us believe.

yes one pill can kill you. because its ecstacy? no, because it contains a filler your body cant hack

anyone wishes to try and defunct my points i wish you luck, coz they cannot be argued with

and on a sidenote, as someone who has taken e before, but doesnt take it any more i dont think it should be made legal or laws around it eased. i do however think that the informaiton should be there for users to ensure they are safe

Originally posted by Mailman
    I can say what killed him, because I went to the trouble of finding out.

without wishing to put you through any more, i would just like to say that there is absolutely NO chance your friend died from MDMA, as for that to happen he would have to have taken the equivalant of about 30 pills. there is not enough MDMA in ecstacy tablets even slightly endanger someones life. your friend didnt die from ecstacy, he may however have died from something else in the pill.

if you would care to do any research at all, you will find the fatal doseage of MDMA pretty easily on the web, and you will also find the typical doseage in an average pill. and if you are so sure it was DEFINITELY the MDMA that killed him, why did the other few hundred people who took pills containing the same amount of everything from that batch not die too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Mailman
    I've got a tombstone and bodycount to back up my position.

Simply because your friend died from Ecstasy mis-use doesn't automatically make you an authority on the subject nor does it prove scientific fact wrong. The facts are ecstasy kills a miniscule percentage of users for various reasons, most boiling down to stupidity. I doubt your friend would like their death bandied about so freely as a backup to your arguments on the internet.

Your peanut coated silver bullet has nothing to do with the subject and you know it so don't bring it into the argument.
    Nuts are a foodstuff, just like milk which isn't good for those who are lactose intolerant. Ecstasy is a recreational drug which is of no nutritional benefit to anyone.

I advise you to go look up some of the studies currently underway which show MDMA being of considerable benefit to people with Multiple Sclerosis.

One man was totally crippled and after one ecstasy pill could walk and perform all functions of a healthy individual for the 4 or so hours the pill lasted. This again was a scientific experiment and there are many more underway at the moment.

Shinji, I'm not trying to score points on you so I don't understand why you are trying to discount my arguements so agressively.

Because you're wrong.

Shinji, I am not a doctor or scientist reasarching the area but I have armed myself with facts, not conjecture about my experiences of Ecstasy.

Obviously not well enough.
    According to your profile your areas of experience are writing about games and being paid for it. So, do you have any skills or practical experience of the negative aspects of Ecstasy that make you better qualified to comment on the matter than those who disagree with you.

Cheap shot.

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

more properly funded reseach is definately needed.
    Preferably through an independant body that does not have a preconcieved "result" in mind when it allocates funding to various research groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Alcohol has done more harm than ecstasy, that's a legal substance which most of you people drink.

Please go here: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma.shtml
    for PROPER facts.

the main problem with all these tests are that theyre done with PURE mdma, which isnt what you get on the street. so until they start testin with pills from the street theyll never be relevant to clubbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

True, unless you get an ecstasy tester yourself.
    They can pretty much determine if it's MDMA or something else in the pill. Still, even with those you can't be sure what has managed to slip in to the pill as it can't find every substance. What it can detect are the most common ones. These 'tests' usually go for $20 but I doubt that all the crazy rave kids can be bothered spending money on that when they can BUY PILLS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

I have never taken an E but know quite a few people who have and they all came to the same conclusion that it is safe. The overuse/misuse of anything is bad [not just drugs] if you eat too much fibre, drink too much milk, drink too much water or overuse anything it can be bad for you or even kill you. The worst thing you can do is miss-inform people or even worst not inform them at all. If we tell people that cannabis [the most widely used illegal drug, tried by over 60% of under 25's] is a harmful drug and if they then try it they will realise that they will realise that the information they have been force feed by there parents, schools, anti-drug campaigners etc was false, they will question the information about other stronger more harmful drugs such as heron, speed etc. I am not saying that all drugs should be legal but people should be given correct information and let them decide for themselves. If ecstasy was legalised and its production was controlled it would [in my option] be a safe drug, but I don’t think this will ever happen. What we should do is adopt some of the Dutch ideas, such as: decriminalize cannabis and control how and where it can be used, offer sterilised needles to heroin addicts, offer a service where drugs can be tested free of charge and most off all educate people in the use of drugs give them all the facts [not just the ones you agree with] and let them decide for themselves. This is the only drug policy that will work, it’s obvious that the current policy doesnt, more people die every year and mort people are using harder drugs. Never dismiss something as wrong if you haven’t tried it, then you can form you own options.

Advertisement