Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator Lynn Ruane Wants to Ban Comments on Articles

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

GavMan wrote: »
    The point is that its not for your or the Irish Times to decide what is legitimate or not. Its up to free thinking people to do that for themselves.

What the press are obligated to do is to provide a balanced view for everyone to make up for their own mind. They did so with the Mullally piece (however badly, IMO, that was executed)

What obligation are you referring to?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It often doesnt tell you that at all. Comments can be lead by people with an agenda e.g. Shinner bots. I would never take comments at face value.

...and valid opinions can be invalidated by ignorantly branding people and their opinions as worthless by using a term such as Shinner bot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There is a justifiable reason as to why some people require anonymity on the internet.

This needs to be taken into account by any changes in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In the comment section you get both sides of the argument. Its up to you to decipher the truth. If the overwhelming number of comments on an article are against it. What does that tell you? It tells you the article was bull.

Not really. Judging something like that is like taking a poll on boards asc an accurate representation. It's even worse than that. Studies found that the people most likely to vote on an online poll or to comment are the people most likely to have an agenda.

Think of it like this, there's an abortion thread active here at the moment. If you go into it it'll be the same people who argued in the last one (myself included). Threads about Trump attract the alt right crowd as well as the left leaning crowd.

And now we also have to worry about political groups. It's been well documented that on sites such as the guardian paid Russian trolls swamp the comment section on stories about Ukraine.

That's not to say that you can't learn something from reading it but it's not a reflection of peoples views it's just a window into some peoples views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

She woke up and thought, holy shït I've been in the Seanad for almost a year and in that time I have done absolutely nothing so I need to come up with something stupid to get myself noticed and VOILA we have this horseshít making the news today.

She'll go back to totting up her expenses tomorrow and we'll most likely never hear from her again, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Grayson wrote: »
    Not really.

Not at all. It just tells you that a majority of people posting think the article was bull.

On a site like Breitbart or Huffpost, a majority of posters disagreeing with the piece is probably an indicator of its merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

They should shut down the Trinity access programs as it just seems to breed people like her.

who else is like ruane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

this is i think the third attempt at something like this, ex sen higgins and before her a labour minister rabbit, so it seem to be goverment driven, the we'll keep at it until they believe us tactic is been used

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

She woke up and thought, holy shït I've been in the Seanad for almost a year and in that time I have done absolutely nothing so I need to come up with something stupid to get myself noticed and VOILA we have this horseshít making the news today.

She'll go back to totting up her expenses tomorrow and we'll most likely never hear from her again, thankfully.
    She is a attention seeking me me me loudmouth. Believe me when all this has died down . We will all hear from her again. Feel sorry for the dopes that voted for her. She has nil respect for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

They should shut down the Trinity access programs as it just seems to breed people like her.

I studied law in Trinity having been admitted through the Access Programme. You'd be surprised at just how diverse the group is. Almost everyone in my class has made a success of it, from occupational therapists to engineers and solicitors to physiotherapists. One young man that was in the junior cycle qualified as a medical doctor just last year. A number of the lecturers are themselves former TAP students who studied to PhD level before entering the main Trinity faculty. There are success stories left, right and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

...and valid opinions can be invalidated by ignorantly branding people and their opinions as worthless by using a term such as Shinner bot.

That is how the progressive liberals work labelling groups of people.

I agree with the comments on her being on a chat show about it soon, probably go with a bullied narrative.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I studied law in Trinity having been admitted through the Access Programme. You'd be surprised at just how diverse the group is. Almost everyone in my class has made a success of it, from occupational therapists to engineers and solicitors to physiotherapists. One young man that was in the junior cycle qualified as a medical doctor just last year. A number of the lecturers are themselves former TAP students who studied to PhD level before entering the main Trinity faculty. There are success stories left, right and centre.

If you qualify from any of those professions from trinity it would be hard not to be successful. Hows the Law career going far more competition in that? Law like business is all about connections

doc11 wrote: »
    If you qualify from any of those professions from trinity it would be hard not to be successful. Hows the Law career going far more competition in that? Law like business is all about connections

It's going very well. I just got offered a training contract with a commercial litigation firm. I just need to kick on with my entry exams. So I've still a good bit to go and I'm no spring chicken! But I'll get there in the end. Connections are important if you're lucky enough to have them. I had none. For me it was a lucky break, plenty of hard work and the right attitude.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    It's going very well. I just got offered a training contract with a commercial litigation firm. I just need to kick on with my entry exams. So I've still a good bit to go and I'm no spring chicken! But I'll get there in the end. Connections are important if you're lucky enough to have them. I had none. For me it was a lucky break, plenty of hard work and the right attitude.

Good stuff, congratulation

doc11 wrote: »
    Good stuff, congratulation

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

flutered wrote: »
    this is i think the third attempt at something like this, ex sen higgins and before her a labour minister rabbit, so it seem to be goverment driven, the we'll keep at it until they believe us tactic is been used
    Ruane is not in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

in the upper political circle, near enough is good enough and good enough is spot on, as an old guy used to say

Maybe let her know. She acts like she invented it.

in the upper political circle, near enough is good enough and good enough is spot on, as an old guy used to say
    If you're trying to show that there is some kind of conspiracy going on, you might like to actually show that the people involved are working together in some way, instead of actually being on opposite sides.

Is this just old-fashioned Irish begrudgery? Could you give one specific example of something that she said or did that looked like 'she invented government'?

If you're trying to show that there is some kind of conspiracy going on, you might like to actually show that the people involved are working together in some way, instead of actually being on opposite sides.

Is this just old-fashioned Irish begrudgery? Could you give one specific example of something that she said or did that looked like 'she invented government'?
    Look at the ignorant way she spouted her crap at some poor educated student who was misguided and voted her in to senate on claire byrne show recently. Cringe. Also why are all her sites that she pontificates off now closed down. One hit wonder. Over and out. I hope.

• Advertisement

Look at the ignorant way she spouted her crap at some poor educated student who was misguided and voted her in to senate on claire byrne show recently. Cringe. Also why are all her sites that she pontificates off now closed down. One hit wonder. Over and out. I hope.

Looks like that Claire Byrne show is gone of the RTE Player, so I can't comment on that one. But what do you mean about 'all her sites' - her website is up, her Twitter feed is open - what else do you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

https://twitter.com/SenLynnRuane/status/817161557956247552

There you go, a non elected politician wanting to shut down free speech. Authoritarianism characterised in 140 characters. They are not even trying to hide it anymore.

Any TD that would vote in favour for this should be deemed an enemy of the state.

I don't have twitter cause I'm not a twat. So the link don't work for me.

I dont get this, what articles ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

If you want to discuss this topic, please start your own thread, don't raise ones that have been dead three years.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement