Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Kelly console fella

Options
  • 06-05-2017 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Last Summer there was a major media frenzy about this guy but was he ever actually questioned by gardai, let alone charged with any crime ? Did he even commit any crime? Could the whole thing has been a media distraction ? You couldn't turn on the Radio or television last summer without hearing about him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

afaik didn't he set up a new company providing similar services on a fee going basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Too many media frenzies to mention. I can't even remember last weeks one. I can't be arsed remembering either

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

He's the bloke that set up a 'slush fund' with money that was donated towards his 'charity'. Scumbag.

but in answer to your question I wouldn't be surprised if it was a smokescreen, he probably had something on someone. the hse/gardai destroy people who might threaten to expose their iniquities and bury them before they ever get the chance. I'm hoping the whistleblower in the Grace case gets to take the stand next week and buries the lot of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

koumi wrote: »
    but in answer to your question I wouldn't be surprised if it was a smokescreen, he probably had something on someone. the hse/gardai destroy people who might threaten to expose their iniquities and bury them before they ever get the chance. I'm hoping the whistleblower in the Grace case gets to take the stand next week and buries the lot of them.
    Very Well Said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

They do say "Charity begins at home". He took it literally. There wasn't a Jury in the land..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Beyondgone wrote: »
    They do say "Charity begins at home". He took it literally. There wasn't a Jury in the land..
    Wow:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Wow:rolleyes:

In as much as? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This dude was caught siphoning off money from his charity and you assume that it was some HSE or Garda conspiracy to get rid of him because he "had something on someone"? Is your name LeBron because thats some leap!

This dude was caught siphoning off money from his charity and you assume that it was some HSE or Garda conspiracy to get rid of him because he "had something on someone"? Is your name LeBron because thats some leap!
    The ops question is fairly valid, journalists had a field day and he was tried by media, but what happened next? Were charges ever brought against him? I'm not saying he's not culpable but in the context of the claims, the HSE have as much their fingers in the pot and have questions to answer too. It always seemed to me like he was an easy fall guy and if I remember correctly was it not the HSE who allowed him to continue operating despite an audit which would knowingly not pass muster at a later date. That was very convenient. (or just terminally bad judgment)

The smear campaigns against whistleblowers in other sectors was being levied via state sponsored pr, as we now know, and what was kicking off at that time was well hidden under the radar of more popular "we got the bad guy" news stories. Not that much of a leap. These people are vicious, they are ruthless and they are relentless and if you think for a moment they are not capable of performing feats of pure evil to protect themselves then you are lucky that you have never known them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Friends in high places where the whiskey flows in to the oasis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I'd imagine it was more of a warning to the rest of them, most of whom are at it to some degree. And as the above poster said, to act as a smokescreen for whatever else establishment Ireland is getting up to at any moment in time. One thing is for sure, it was not to hold anyone to account or effect any type of real change. It never is in Ireland. And it won't be until another few thousand millionaires at least are created off the public purse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

They are having trouble proving that he actually stole anything as the governance of console was so piss poor.
    I doubt he will be charged with anything other than some breaches of company law.

If the whole thing served one good cause it is to open peoples eyes to the scam that some of the charity sector is.
    If the whole thing served on very bad cause it removes a lot of trust in the whole sector which dramatically cuts down on donations - myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Winterlong wrote: »
    They are having trouble proving that he actually stole anything as the governance of console was so piss poor.
    I doubt he will be charged with anything other than some breaches of company law.

If the whole thing served one good cause it is to open peoples eyes to the scam that some of the charity sector is.
    If the whole thing served on very bad cause it removes a lot of trust in the whole sector which dramatically cuts down on donations - myself included.

Absolutely, the whole charidee 'industry' to me is rotten to the core.

Failed politicians, former sports people , former journalists riding the poor guy or gal who doesn't look further than their nose before they horse out the coin.

Look at the homeless debacle over the Xmas!! home Sweet Home

Guts of 200k still has to be allocated.

Nothing coming out from them, the people who were all over the media like a rash.

Seriously needs a working over, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

From that RTÉ link:

... however, he said "many unanswered questions remain unanswered".

Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The manner of his passing is ironic. Console was a good charity in theory and people donated out of their innate decency. For the late Mr. Kelly to have used the donations for his own personal gain was a serious and heinous violation of public trust. Such a breach would have had a negative ripple effect on other charities doing great work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

All big charities are scams that are set up to enrich their members with 6 figure salaries.

But in Kellys case he went a bit too far in terms of enriching himself.

Advertisement