Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with two people instead of one

Options
  • 15-11-2019 11:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

Has anyone here made the mistake of dealing with a middle man regarding an ongoing issue, only to realise that when there's a disagreement later on that it is very difficult for your mind to backtrack on events and say "no, that wasn't what I was told"? Is this a common ploy that is used by people in certain industries?Because when you're dealing with two or more people it can be hard to remember which person said a certain thing.

This has happened to me twice recently, and I'm not necessarily saying that I thought it was a ploy in either case. It happened once with securing a house to rent, and another time when I was dealing with recruitment lady more than the actual person I'd be working for. In the case of the recruitment lady, when I eventually got the job (that she'd talked up so much), I would ask my boss things like "so when is X going to happen" and have her say "I never said that". At those moments I would not quite be able to recall which one of them would have said so to me, or whether it was by phone call or email.

Apologies for the bad title

Comments

Well it's always going to make things more difficult I suppose. I'd generally remember who said important things, though.

Generate paper trails whenever you can for important stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As ADS says generate notes if not a paper trail. Only for important issues, get into the habit of noting, in a computer file or diary, what has just happened after each interaction. These are as valid as an actual recording of events.
    Look at Ambassador Taylor's testimony to Congress. Because he had his notes, written up after each significant event, he had a clear trail and nobody could punch a hole in his narrative and credibility.
    This is esp important if something may be proceeding the legal route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, happened in the recent past with a Bank and a Government body. I never talk to them over the phone anymore without putting it on speakers with someone to witness it or meet them without a witness to backup what they said.

On the few times I have to speak with them over the phone, I repeat everything they say while recording the conversation. Note that the recording doesn't allow the recording of their voices so I repeat what they say for the record.

In truth, I'll be reducing my engagement with both organisations to the absolute minimum. Life is too short to be dealing with that two faced crap, tbh.

Advertisement