Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Private healthcare patients get exclusive access to cancer drugs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No offence M but you seem to use that strawman regularly. No one but no one is saying that. Literally no-one. You sound very young but there's more to debating healthcare, education ect to saying it's rich and poor.

The complexity of healthcare is lost on yourself and a others. Most people seem to think that in this case private health care customers pay more so should be entitled to greater pay. I'll make this as clear as possible. I have experience in industry and academia in biotech. All healthcare is subsidised. No one pays the full amount for it. Some diseases such as cystic fibrosis aren't common enough to be worth researching were it not for massive government and some charity funding. The idea that an extra 1k a year for VHI should be the difference in life and death for someone with terminal breast cancer is ludicrous. It's not even a rich VS poor argument. 1000 a year isn't huge money.

But that is not the case and I think you know that we are talking about real people, not some Daily mail headline compare the tone of your posts to say the one by suger free. The response to this should be factual and evidence-based that is all.

Everyone should have the same access to health care and medication.

I have had treatment in both the private and public system and would complement both.

The big difference is things like having a private room with a nicer ambiance, less queuing, seeing the consultant, not just the consultant's team, quicker accesses to diagnostic appointments at more convenient times again with less waiting, however, the nursing and medical care was the exact same.

The perception aspect is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

markodaly wrote: »
    Well, that is a subjective word, and if you do work in academia you would wise to follow the scientific principle, not some emotive clickbaity article.

I'll say it again. A drug approved for prescription for patients with breast cancer and has shown to be somewhat effective in clinical trials has the potential to save lives.

Candamir wrote: »
    Well, it doesn’t necessarily mean that either, but I don’t have the full data set to say exactly what it does, or might mean.

You're looking at word semantics now rather than the pharmacology. 19% objective response rate means one thing. It wouldn't kill you to look up the data instead of relying on other people but here you are:
    The 24-week progression-free survival (PFS) rate was 27% and the objective response rate was 19%. Three of the four patients who responded to treatment are continuing to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

You're looking at word semantics now rather than the pharmacology. 19% objective response rate means one thing. It wouldn't kill you to look up the data instead of relying on other people but here you are:

You’re hilarious! Accusing me of word semantics over science when you completely misrepresented the pharmacology!
    A 19% response rate means exactly that - a response rate. It doesn’t say anything about what the response was. It may equate to an improvement in survival. It may relate to a drop in tumour markers, or radiological evidence of tumour shrinking. And while ‘it wouldn’t kill me’ to dig up and study the data sets, it’s not my argument, so no thanks, I won’t. Perhaps you should study it a bit better since you are using it in your argument, and seem to think it means that “this drug can extend your life by 19%”

You’re hilarious! Accusing me of word semantics over science when you completely misrepresented the pharmacology!
    A 19% response rate means exactly that - a response rate. It doesn’t say anything about what the response was. It may equate to an improvement in survival. It may relate to a drop in tumour markers, or radiological evidence of tumour shrinking.

Mate maybe take a chill pill. There's no need to get so personal over a disagreement. First of all from my first post about the pharmacology and clinical trials I discussed "objective response rate" not response rate. Objective response rate (ORR) isn't the same as response rate. ORR is a term used specifically in oncology meaning the percentage of patients that exhibited a reduction in the tumour burden by a predefined amount. It's perfectly accurate to say there's a 19% objective response rate in reference to triple-negative breast cancer.
    And while ‘it wouldn’t kill me’ to dig up and study the data sets, it’s not my argument, so no thanks, I won’t. Perhaps you should study it a bit better since you are using it in your argument, and seem to think it means that “this drug can extend your life by 19%”

You're repeating the mistake I admitted to making for what purpose? It's not my argument either. The 19% ORR is referring to peer reviewed data.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's as if you have purposely misunderstood my post.

If I am paying for healthcare (which I am, approx 2500 per annum for couple), why would I bother if everyone is treated the same anyway??

I don't know but why would I care if the private health care business has a viable business model?

Mate maybe take a chill pill. There's no need to get so personal over a disagreement. First of all from my first post about the pharmacology and clinical trials I discussed "objective response rate" not response rate. Objective response rate (ORR) isn't the same as response rate. ORR is a term used specifically in oncology meaning the percentage of patients that exhibited a reduction in the tumour burden by a predefined amount. It's perfectly accurate to say there's a 19% objective response rate in reference to triple-negative breast cancer.

You're repeating the mistake I admitted to making for what purpose? It's not my argument either. The 19% ORR is referring to peer reviewed data.

Ha ha. I’m not repeating your mistake - I’m just pointing it out to you again.
    And you’re still getting it wrong. Or inferring it. Yes. It’s perfectly accurate to say there’s a 19% ORR. Because that’s what your quote claimed. Your inferences as to what that meant however, are all over the place.

And just to clarify - ORR refers only to reduction in tumour burden? So nothing at all do do with extending survival. So you just made that up (as if it wasn’t obvious by your data mashing!)

And I’m totally chilled.

Ha ha. I’m not repeating your mistake - I’m just pointing it out to you again.

Great, cheers man!
    And you’re still getting it wrong.

We'll agree to disagree here.
    Or inferring it.

What?
    Yes. It’s perfectly accurate to say there’s a 19% ORR.

Thanks for that. I feel a bit better now.
    Because that’s what your quote claimed. Your inferences as to what that meant however, are all over the place.

ORR - Proportion of patients with reduction in tumor burden of a predefined amount. Simple as that man.

ORR - Proportion of patients with reduction in tumor burden of a predefined amount. Simple as that man.

Yep, real simple.

Says nothing about survival, man. Which is what you’ve been trying to infer.

But look, if you want to agree to disagree.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I hate reading about our medical system.
    It's embarrassing and sad.

• Advertisement

Yep, real simple.

Says nothing about survival, man. Which is what you’ve been trying to infer.

But look, if you want to agree to disagree.....

Yea we will C. No offence but the fact you've edited your post to include overall survival, another end point in clinical trials leads me to believe that you've just looked it up.

True objective response rate doesn't correlate exactly with overall survival in terms of clinical trial endpoints but tumour size decrease is associated with greater survival believe it or not.

While we're at it and you want to move away from the positive overall ORR I'll link an article that shows that Atezolizumab does increase overall survival rate of some cancers such as lung cancer.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S014067361632517X

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Doc07

Kurtosis wrote: »
    The National Centre for Pharmacoeconomics evaluates the cost effectiveness of new medicines, and those that are cost effective are then reimbursed by the state. Based on the data submitted to them, these drugs weren't deemed cost effective for the conditions outlined in the article. This is why they aren't funded by the state for public patients. Covering these medicines would mean taking funding from other areas of the health system where it provides more benefit.

This is a dangerous precedent set by VHI, it's effectively subverting the national process for economic evaluation of medicines. It's effectively going to be a means for pharmaceutical companies to gain extra leverage in getting new medicines reimbursed at higher prices.

Thank you for posting this. Great point although in the case of these particular drugs it may be that they haven’t been evaluated by NCP yet as the trials that were used to grant the extension of license are very recent. But overall you are correct to highlight the dangers or bypassing the NCP assessment system which is probably out only non-conflicted means of assessment.

Yea we will C. No offence but the fact you've edited your post to include overall survival, another end point in clinical trials leads me to believe that you've just looked it up.

I did what now?

Only a few hours ago you thought a 19% objective response rate to a drug means a drug will extend your life by 19%, and I’m the one looking stuff up?

I’ll leave it there.

I did what now?

I’ll leave it there.

Please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There is a multi tier car industry in this country.

Bugattis and Bentleys are off limits to me.

How dare someone with more money than me buy something I can't afford.

I don't think comparing owning a particular brand of car with being denied possibly life-saving or extending drugs is particularly illustrative.

It is a bit disturbing that there are people who think just because they are paying they should get access to life-extending treatment that those on the public system would not get, and its evening worse if they think that is what health insurance is for.

mariaalice wrote: »
    It is a bit disturbing that there are people who think just because they are paying they should get access to life-extending treatment that those on the public system would not get, and its evening worse if they think that is what health insurance is for.

Well in fairness that's my situation. I'm an a researcher at the American Department Of Energy so I get complete medical coverage. A lot of people here (Colorado) can't even get insurance and those that do don't usually get the same coverage I get. I worked hard to be in this position. Harder than most I think. Even then, there's no part of me, no matter how hidden that thinks that because I worked hard that I should have better chances of survival based on what I earn.

Yet there are people in the same position as me who do think that it would be a crime that the Mexican cleaners (an example they use a lot) that I work alongside should get the same healthcare as me should they need it. Not that we work any harder than Mexican cleaners mind.

I'm not comparing American health care to Ireland but it's a slippery slope. People here are still saying people who pay more should have more access to lifesaving treatment. So the fact that I make in excess of the average Irish worker should mean I'm more entitled to life saving treatment right? Let's say the cost of insurance goes up so only high earners can afford it. You can bet the whole "he who pays more should get more" would go out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McCrack

Please do.

You lost the argument

mariaalice wrote: »

They're only saying that because they can currently afford it. Increase the costs so only high earners could afford it and they'd change their views on the morality of healthcare.

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    You lost the argument

It wasn't an argument to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They're only saying that because they can currently afford it. Increase the costs so only high earners could afford it and they'd change their views on the morality of healthcare.

Who should be prioritised between 2 patients, one of which has never worked a day in their lives, the other a high earning tax payer who chooses to pay extra money to purchase insurance?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Who should be prioritised between 2 patients, one of which has never worked a day in their lives, the other a high earning tax payer who chooses to pay extra money to purchase insurance?

I'll answer this but how much of the person in bold's income would be derived from work? For example if someone inherited the money and never worked a day in their lives should they get better treatment than a poorer person who never worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It must be terrible to be the recipient of inferior drugs knowing full well that they are inferior and that you're getting them for cost reasons.

If they took the nothing-doers out of the HSE there would be no need for this

Who, specifically, are the nothing-doers?

KaneToad wrote: »
    Who, specifically, are the nothing-doers?

Having worked in the HSE I can tell you there are plenty. Mostly admin guys and people who give jobs to family members. This was reported in the Irish Independent. Not medical but it happens in hospitals too.
    This weekend, the Sunday Independent has learned the children of another three senior managers in Dublin were appointed to clerical grade-three positions on a temporary basis to aid in the administration of the Back to School Scheme. However, these people are still in their posts over a year later.

It does not work like that the person with the insurance will be in a private room in a hospital of there choice at a time that suits them, having treatment form the consultant of their choice, the person in the public system will be in a ward and won't have a choice of hospital or consultant but they will be getting the same treatment as the private patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Having worked in the HSE I can tell you there are plenty. Mostly admin guys and people who give jobs to family members. This was reported in the Irish Independent. Not medical but it happens in hospitals too.

That article refers to a hiring practice that happened a decade ago...

KaneToad wrote: »
    That article refers to a hiring practice that happened a decade ago...

Indeed it does. It's still happening. I worked in a biochem lab and someone in charge of the supplies got the job because his aunt worked there. Had no problem admitting it and was completely incompetent.

When I was a student I had health insurance courtesy of my parents. Why would that make me more worthwhile than someone on the dole with an elderly relative dependent on them, or a child with additional needs needing care? Why would I be a worthwhile priority over a child who's parents couldn't afford insurance?

Is a person with three children worth more than one with two? Assuming one person is more worthy than another based on wealth or circumstance is an empty pursuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

To posters complaining about people with private health insurance getting access/drugs/treatment faster than public patients - almost all EU countries including Scandinavian countries (I know because I worked there) have robust private health insurance and private hospitals. Those who have either insurance or cash to pay get faster access and treatment in those countries too.

The difference is that the waiting times for access to consultants and elective operations on the public system is very long in Ireland, less so in other countries. But people need to cop on - relative wealth has always been a determinant of health and always will be. And if you work hard, sacrifice to pay insurance (thus removing the burden from the taxpayer....) surely you have a right to fast, efficient care?

Advertisement