Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skynet Becomes Real?

Options
  • 25-07-2017 5:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Reading Gene Sher's (2013) Handbook of Neuroevolution Through Erlang. Sher investigated neuroevolutionary-based computational intelligence systems. Suggested that they were becoming the driving force of change. Surpassing naturally occurring human evolution. Human culture has been changing as the result of Artificial Life simulations. Followed by robotic and other applications. Machine learning has been evolving. Sometimes faster than human learning. Erlang was a language to facilitate that learning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I have a very simple hypothesis about man and machine... The more technology evolves, the less we do. And that is why we are all doomed. Put it simply like this, look how as a species we depend on technology. We're already slaves to our phones, TVs, etc as it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fathom wrote: »
    Reading Gene Sher's (2013) Handbook of Neuroevolution Through Erlang. Sher investigated neuroevolutionary-based computational intelligence systems. Suggested that they were becoming the driving force of change. Surpassing naturally occurring human evolution. Human culture has been changing as the result of Artificial Life simulations. Followed by robotic and other applications. Machine learning has been evolving. Sometimes faster than human learning. Erlang was a language to facilitate that learning.
    jaxxx wrote: »
    I have a very simple hypothesis about man and machine... The more technology evolves, the less we do. And that is why we are all doomed. Put it simply like this, look how as a species we depend on technology. We're already slaves to our phones, TVs, etc as it is.
    I see where you are both coming from, however, the bolded parts above come very close to technological determinism. I don't doubt for one second that AI and technology have made rapid advances and things do need to be kept in check, but for us to be at the whim of technology would require there to be no human needs or wants at the end of it. It would need to be some created created by a machine, and only a machine that had changed fundamentally how we operate.

If technology was the driving force behind change, then it would be dictating to us how we use it. At the moment, however, it is technology still serving human needs. For example, dating has changed now with online match making apps like Tinder and POF etc. But technology is not making this change, it is a human programming these apps. All technology is doing here, is to be the medium through which somebody finds a date, and is a digital extension of what happened in the pre-internet days. In that sense, fundamentally nothing has really changed, people still go on dates, the only difference is they can interact via technology. Technology facilitated the human desire for companionship, but it was a human who designed that technology in the first place. We are still in control (thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It could be argued that humans put a halt to natural evolution a long time ago. Arranged marriages would be an example of humans taking over natural selection. Even using clothes could be seen as removing the requirement for us to evolve to suit an environment. I suppose it could also be argued that selecting for physical attributes became a little redundant once we started farming and selecting for skills and intelligence became more important.

I'm not really that worried about AI becoming sentient. I don't think AI will have the same desire for world domination that only humans with psychological problems really desire. I also don't think AI will see us as some sort of plague on the planet, it will be introduced to the world with us in it and will just as likely see humans as being as natural as any other life form.

We humans make the wrong assumption that we're in conflict with nature when we're just a by product of it. There's nothing wrong with human activity as such, we are something nature produced so we are as natural as anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I have a very simple hypothesis about man and machine... The more technology evolves, the less we do.
    Billions of humans. Allows for differential reproduction. Variations. Billions of potential combinations. Perhaps some hybrids better prepared to adapt to rapidly changing technological environment? Alternatively, Stanley H. Ambrose (2001) in Paleolithic Technology and Human Evolution, Science Vol. 291, Issue 5509, pp. 1748-1753, suggested that "Human biological and cultural evolution are closely linked to technological innovations." If this bares merit, can such evolution continue to effectively change with rapidly and geometrically advancing technology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Fathom wrote: »
    Billions of humans. Allows for differential reproduction. Variations. Billions of potential combinations. Perhaps some hybrids better prepared to adapt to rapidly changing technological environment?

Alternatively, Stanley H. Ambrose (2001) in Paleolithic Technology and Human Evolution, Science Vol. 291, Issue 5509, pp. 1748-1753, suggested that "Human biological and cultural evolution are closely linked to technological innovations." If this bares merit, can such evolution continue to effectively change with rapidly and geometrically uadvancing technology?

Billions of humans. But only a certain window for these combinations to take place. So if computers change in the next ten years, these next ten years will be the only time I will be able to have children. And computer power will be so
    much more powerful in those ten years that what is now current for me, will
    not be current for me in 10 years. Never
    Mind how my children will react. So evolution doesn’t stick. What children are there now will be getting used to a rapidly changing landscape. It’s not like agriculture where pastoralist
    Gives rise to lactose tolerances over a couple
    Of thousand years. What is there now amongst the human species is what will be trying to grapple with technology.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Human vs machine. Frequent sci fi movie plot.

Advertisement