Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your weekly grocery Bill

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

murpho999 wrote: »
    Salmon and steak can be expensive? Well shock horror.

Why would you go for cheap processed crap food when you know it's bad.

I don't agree with you though. Plenty of healthy and fresh options can be gotten and you'll also get special offers.
    Steak is not even that expensive to be fair. A couple of decent tasty steaks: 28 day dry aged Angus, can be got in Aldi for under a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Average shop will contain, 2L Avonmore milk.

In my weekly big shop on a Saturday, I buy 12 litres of milk. Then, in the top up shop on Wednesday, I buy another 10. We go through about 3 litres a day, between cereal, drinking, tea and coffee (2 adults, 3 kids). Even on my own I’d go through more than a litre a day. I’ve instigated a rule that if anyone goes to the shop “for milk” they have to buy at lest 4 litres, otherwise the likelihood is that someone else will be running out for some a bit later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Zascar wrote: »
    I also live overseas and the cost of food here is way higher. So many simple things are twice the price or more compared to home. I have an app that tracks all my spending, for two of us and a young baby, it's €175 a week on overage, but has been over €200 a week over the last few months - probably because we are eating out less and cooking a lot more nice meals at home, also doing bbq's and meat is very expensive too.

When I see people living on ~€30 a week I really wonder how boring their food must be.

What's the app can you tell us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Averaging €110 weekly Now, 2 adults 2 kids. Was waaaayyy more at start of lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Esse85 wrote: »

I would love the name of the App as well. I love budgeting apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Usually about €30/35 per week for myself.I would consider that I eat pretty well,mostly fresh meat/fish and vegetables.

I dont buy alcohol for the house.Also don't buy soft drinks,biscuits,sweets or cakes.

I dont have a sweet tooth, the most I'd buy might be a bag or lollies or a 6 pack of cereal bars the odd time .They could be there for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

Since Jan till now we have spent 4,481.9 for two adults and a cat. We are on week 33 so that works out to a staggering €135.81
    Groceries mean any food shop be it Tesco/Lidl/Aldi/Supervalue or the asian stores I tend to frequent for interesting food.
    Oh shoot that also includes things in the monthly shop so not just food oops. It would be cleaning supplies and toilet roll. Since reduced after buying a cheap bidet.

Hmm had not worked that out weekly before, not liking that it is so high. Then again I do have a stock of food that would take a couple months to work through so there is that. Btw this is all done via YNAB lol I record ever transaction so it shows me anything I list under groceries and I just divided it. That is the exact amount though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Esse85 wrote: »

It's called FinArt. I don't think it works in Ireland unfortunately and is Android Only. In many countries every time you make a transaction you get a text message confirmation - so it uses this data and uses ai to make a guess at categorising etc. Works extremely well for me.

There are many others like Spendee which I think does work in Ireland but I'm not sure.

There are many other apps that let you manually tack but that would be a massive pain putting in every transition. I think you actually might be able to export from your bank and import into this app or others. I'm sure someone else might be able to recommend one.

Using a Revolut card for all your transactions would give you some decent tracking stats too I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Average shop will contain, 2L Avonmore milk, Kelloggs cereal, noodles, big pack of bottled water, multipack of coke, some snacks/chocolate, frozen pizza, chicken and steak from the butcher as well as whatever toiletries, cleaning bits or other things I might need that week. I'm not into pasta, spuds or most other Irish staples (I don't even drink tea!) :)

Sure I could probably get the price down but I don't do Aldi/Lidl (tried it and ended up throwing most of it out), I'm not a "foodie" and have no interest in lots of cooking for one, and I'm fortunate enough that I can afford it comfortably given the other savings I'm making and a decent wage generally.

I also dislike food shopping generally (even more so since this mandatory mask stuff came in) so I rather just get in and out as quickly as possible - hence why I usually go first thing in the morning once a week.

I actually don’t mind food shopping. You must like your branded cleaning stuff like me to bring the price up!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

methinks people are underreporting how much they are spending. maybe your main food shop be 60 euros. but i expect most peopele to go to the shop every second day at least for bread and milk.

id say its not possible to live on less than 8euros worth of food a day per person.

So a family of 5 would spend about 280 a week (irrespective of being made up of kids or adults)

i wonder would the thread be more interesting if it was how much spent on food and drink a week. Cause everywhere i go i see people holding take away coffees, kids with tubs of pringles and ice creams. people sitting down at a cafe for a scone etc.

people must be spending about 100euro each a week on food and drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

methinks people are underreporting how much they are spending. maybe your main food shop be 60 euros. but i expect most peopele to go to the shop every second day at least for bread and milk.

id say its not possible to live on less than 8euros worth of food a day per person.

So a family of 5 would spend about 280 a week (irrespective of being made up of kids or adults)

i wonder would the thread be more interesting if it was how much spent on food and drink a week. Cause everywhere i go i see people holding take away coffees, kids with tubs of pringles and ice creams. people sitting down at a cafe for a scone etc.

Definitely not. I now live alone and I reckon I'd spend €50-60 a week on food when just looking after myself so no visitors or alcohol.

I eat well too, fresh and healthy. Can get packs of chicken fillets on offer and other meats for €5-6. I can easily get 4-5 meals for about €20.

Would probably go another €10-15 for veggies and ingredients (I enjoy cooking so cook stuff from scratch).

2 loaves of nice fresh bread (not packaged) from a real bakery cost about €6 and does me for the week. I freeze in portions.

Milk , own brand is €0.75 and it's the exact same as branded stuff so no need to spend much there.

It's easily done, and you're eating well. I'd say people spending over €100 for a person are buying branded processed stuff and things like Pizzas, jars of sauces etc. Stuff is more expensive and not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Pre-Covid, we would have topped up for Milk, Bread, forgotten items etc and occasionally get a Take Away or eat out.
    But now we do 1 Shop per week with Tesco delivered plus 1 Shop at the Butchers but not every week.
    No top up shops, no Take Aways, no eating out.
    Max, max any week (incl some alcohol some weeks) would be €200. Most weeks closer to €150. Some weeks lower.
    2 Adults, 1 Teen, 1 almost Teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

Nah man mine is exact to the cent, I record every single transaction. Even a drink out and about gets recorded. However mine also includes cleaning supplies, toilet roll etc. Still for two people and a cat that is €135.81 it is max €50 a week on food each and we eat very well. If I needed too I could easily cut it down to €30 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Will spend about €35 this week on just the basics. There are a couple of things that will last a couple of weeks. Also bought some cleaning stuff in there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just me, a vegetarian with a multitude of allergies so I mostly cook for myself and need to buy certain brands that can be more expensive.

My weekly shop (including 6 beers or a bottle of wine) is about €30-40 or 150/200myr (Malaysian ringgit).

I buy some quorn products when the supermarket has them and they are expensive here as imported. A bag of the sausages is about €6 but would last me about a month.

Cheese is also dear here. A small block of cheddar is about €3.50 and I would go through 2 a week. It's one of my main protein sources.

But at least my rent is cheap. Moving to a beautiful 2 bed condo for €400 a month. The building has a gym, pool, co-working space, mini market, 2 cafés, a newsagents, a hairdressers, a beauty salon, money exchange and launderette. Is in the city centre, about 10 minutes walk from the Petronas Towers and less to my favourite pubs here.

Life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

SVI40 wrote: »
    3 adults in the house, circa €60.00 per week.

The new irish do this easily, big 10kg bag of rice, some chicken breasts and some fresh veg, and a little sauce and they eat it morning noon and night.

Advertisement