Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

There's a fella in Cork standing by the flyover at mahon point with a sign saying something like

"Illegally evicted sleeping in my car please donate" or something along them lines.

Like go and do something about it so instead of standing there with a big sad face on ya asking for money.

I don't know why but I'd rather give money to someone who's obviously just gonna spend it on drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

somefeen wrote: »
    There's a fella in Cork standing by the flyover at mahon point with a sign saying something like

"Illegally evicted sleeping in my car please donate" or something along them lines.

Like go and do something about it so instead of standing there with a big sad face on ya asking for money.

I don't know why but I'd rather give money to someone who's obviously just gonna spend it on drink.

have you ever experienced complex issues such as mental health problems? life with these kind of issues is not straight forward, its a very strange place, whereby even the smallest of problems seem impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd recommend people talk to beggers and the homeless, you ll probably hear some disturbing stuff!

Duh of course

Most are addicts , very few genuine

I don’t believe anybody should ne homeless

If you are making a concious effort to find work and not on drugs , family would help you or even friends , plus there is hostels , only people left on the streets are deadbeats and don’t deserve the steam off ur p iss , people who don’t want help , sure there was loads on henry street who didnt wanna go to a hostel cause then they’d be seperated etc , i mean u cant be that choosey if you on the street and if you turn it down then ur own choice

Duh of course

If you are making a concious effort to find work and not on drugs , family would help you or even friends , plus there is hostels , only people left on the streets are deadbeats and don’t deserve the steam off ur p iss , people who don’t want help , sure there was loads on henry street who didnt wanna go to a hostel cause then they’d be seperated etc , i mean u cant be that choosey if you on the street and if you turn it down then ur own choice

wow, some research required!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

have you ever experienced complex issues such as mental health problems? life with these kind of issues is not straight forward, its a very strange place, whereby even the smallest of problems seem impossible

Fair play to him. takes balls to do something like that, like it or lump it!.

• Advertisement

Fair play to him. takes balls to do something like that, like it or lump it!.

what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Beggars show what society is...
    And that's no one gives a bollocks. Sure you might get the odd decent heart. But most will step right over you and keep walking on.

People like to twist and say they don't give money because the person will just use it on drugs or drink. Truth is you don't just care and hey that's ok. World is a messed up hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Duh of course

How do you know they'd be separated in hostels ?
    How do you access them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    I've recently seen a woman begging the past few days on Henry Street near Arnotts, where the old HMV used to be.  Poor woman has no nose, it's quite shocking to see.  Would love to know her story.

How does she smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Yes and like I said I'd still rather ( and do) give money to people who are obviously going to spend it on drink.

The guy with the sign just comes across as a big victim head and I'm not sure if I believe him either.

• Advertisement

somefeen wrote: »
    Yes and like I said I'd still rather ( and do) give money to people who are obviously going to spend it on drink.

The guy with the sign just comes across as a big victim head and I'm not sure if I believe him either.

theres more then likely something very complex behind this

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

Maybe he swapped the sandwich for drugs?.

If a begger spends their money on drugs not my business or anyone else's. Their grown adults and making their own life choices. If others fund it more power to them.

When I gave up drugs met many many wealthy professionals who had clients and customers funding their coke/booze/speed/smack/codeine/cannabis you name it addiction.

People fund addiction everyday, some are good at hiding it and have the resources to keep their shyt together, for now!.

Do people stop paying their TV license fee as Gerry Ryan died a drug addict are they are worried the current crop in RTE are on the marching powder everynight? Of course not.

I'm in recovery from addiction myself. I'm aware it's not exclusive to those in poverty or on the streets. It's harder to swap an sandwich for drugs/alcohol than cash. I know that they're going to get whatever they're going to get anyway, and yeah it is none of my business, but I'd prefer to give a bit of food that may fill a hungry belly than cash that will potentially go towards the poison of their choice. Maybe my conscience is the only thing benefitting but c'est la vie. Is your point that I shouldn't have given anything, or that instead of buying the sandwich I should have just given him the cash? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Some of them are cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I give them a fag if I'm drunk or heading out to the pub because I'm sound.

Get the box out to give him one and they always see I have the minty fags. They just say nah man you're grand.

Pricks.

I know those feels. I don't smoke minty ones, but the ones I smoke (Lambert and Butler) you'd think they had anthrax in them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So why stand on the side of the road with a big sign looking for money?
    Go to a GP...ask for help. Reach out to the government support systems that are in place. You'll get much more help than someone throwing 10 cents in to a cup.

If giving money to beggars was illegal and punishable how much longer would our roma friends stay here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I can't go anywhere without being bothered by them. I've been to loads of European cities and Dublin is up there with the most beggars. I'm sure the tourists tell their friends at home how full of homeless the city is which likely stops some of them having a weekend over here.

If you think Dublin is full of homeless, then you've never been to Las Angeles, 20+ on one street

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Demonique wrote: »
    If you think Dublin is full of homeless, then you've never been to Las Angeles, 20+ on one street

Nope never been to LA. But I did notice law Vegas having a severe homeless issue.

Advertisement