Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There is 1 guy in finglas who is always at the topaz garage on the n2 , every evening , irish guy , has an expensive push bike aswell , same said guy outside mcdonalds in charlestown in finglas , always stands right where you get your food in the drive through , so when u open ur window to grab food he’s like “ any change mister “ i say no and he’s like “ oh im sorry to ask thanks “

I mean can nothing be done about these parasites ? Bloody everywhere and intimidating too , he does be on his phone at the petrol station and then hops on his bike as soon as he gets his phone call , prob off to score another hit

Small thin guy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pain in the hole.

"You couldn't spare a eurdo for a hostel bud"?

Was out on Saturday night with the brother for a feed and a few drinks. Probably asked at least half a dozen times. Brother was astounded (from a small country village in the north) by the amount of people begging.

Don't give them a penny. The posters here saying "ah sure I only give a euro to 3 or 4 of them"...more fool you. 50 or 60 people a day do that and it's 3 or 4 hundred quid a week plus their dole....There you go - €600 a week for no work and just having the neck to ask you to give them your hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Small thin guy ?

Yup

He’s not that hard up if he has a bike and phone

He apologises after asking for money , i mean ffs f off

I parker there one day on the phone ( in parking spot in garage ) just comes up to the window , seeing i was on my phone and still ask

As i finished my call i heard him on his phone saying he’s on his way over for food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Don't give them a penny. The posters here saying "ah sure I only give a euro to 3 or 4 of them"...more fool you. 50 or 60 people a day do that and it's 3 or 4 hundred quid a week plus their dole....There you go - €600 a week for no work and just having the neck to ask you to give them your hard earned cash.

I wouldn't give them a penny.

Was drunk one night and a Roma woman came up to me with a fiver in her hand and asked me if I could split it for bus money. I put some change into her hand and she walked off. Started shouting at me when I tried to grab the note.

Saw a few hassling a nun on O'Connell St. too.

If you want to help the homeless, then donate to the Simon community. Much better in their hands than in the hands of a beggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yup

He’s not that hard up if he has a bike and phone

He apologises after asking for money , i mean ffs f off

I parker there one day on the phone ( in parking spot in garage ) just comes up to the window , seeing i was on my phone and still ask

As i finished my call i heard him on his phone saying he’s on his way over for food

I know him , thought he was dead.
    He's a chronic addict and was living in an abandoned building that was set on fire with him in it.
    He was sleeping rough up near the junction of M50 , N2 .
    He's family check in every so often with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I know him , thought he was dead.
    He's a chronic addict and was living in an abandoned building that was set on fire with him in it.
    He was sleeping rough up near the junction of M50 , N2 .
    He's family check in every so often with him.

Obviously somebody doesn’t like him

Always has his sleeping bag rolled up on his back

Bloody scourge , bad enough in city centre , but u cant go anywhere now with these fookers

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

I give them a fag if I'm drunk or heading out to the pub because I'm sound.

Get the box out to give him one and they always see I have the minty fags. They just say nah man you're grand.

Pricks.

This has happened to me too! They never want the menthol smokes.

I was heading into Dunnes a few weeks ago and a homeless guy outside asked if I'd buy him a sandwich. No problem, I'd much rather do that than give them cash for fear it's funding an addiction. When I came out I handed him the sandwich and a few pieces of fruit and as I was walking away I could hear him crowing and using them to taunt another homeless person nearby, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Pain in the hole.

"You couldn't spare a eurdo for a hostel bud"?

Was out on Saturday night with the brother for a feed and a few drinks. Probably asked at least half a dozen times. Brother was astounded (from a small country village in the north) by the amount of people begging.

Green eyed monster they earn more than you.

BTW don't believe beggars make €600 a week.

bikubesong wrote: »
    This has happened to me too! They never want the menthol smokes.

I was heading into Dunnes a few weeks ago and a homeless guy outside asked if I'd buy him a sandwich. No problem, I'd much rather do that than give them cash for fear it's funding an addiction. When I came out I handed him the sandwich and a few pieces of fruit and as I was walking away I could hear him crowing and using them to taunt another homeless person nearby, FFS.

Maybe he swapped the sandwich for drugs?.

If a begger spends their money on drugs not my business or anyone else's. Their grown adults and making their own life choices. If others fund it more power to them.

When I gave up drugs met many many wealthy professionals who had clients and customers funding their coke/booze/speed/smack/codeine/cannabis you name it addiction.

People fund addiction everyday, some are good at hiding it and have the resources to keep their shyt together, for now!.

Do people stop paying their TV license fee as Gerry Ryan died a drug addict are they are worried the current crop in RTE are on the marching powder everynight? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Could be worse.

Could be boggers rather than beggars

Boggers can't be choosers either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Alot of these Beggers probably have more money than I do but they choose to spent it on drink and drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Afew years ago I was having a sandwich in the centra by the hapenny bridge. One of the beggers from the bridge comes in and starts having a laugh with the staff in centra as they seemed pretty friendly towards each other. He took out bags and bags of change and got them to give him notes for it, must have been about 300/400 euros easily. He then starts laughing and saying "sure why would I work in here when I can make that in afew days".... Since then,I don't give to beggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Generally I just give them nothing not even any attention and just keep walking. Realistically the only ones that can help them are themselves and only when they decide to do something to get themselves out of that situation.

And dont get me started on the Roma Career Beggers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Infini wrote: »
    And dont get me started on the Roma Career Beggers.....

We have the EU to thank for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Green eyed monster they earn more than you.

BTW don't believe beggars make €600 a week.

I'd quit my job if I was offered €600 a week...didn't spend years learning my trade and buying tools and a van to work for €120 a day...check the posting time....I'm heading into work now.

Believe all you want but if they pick up €60 a day (easily achievable) that's €420 a week plus dole = €600. Simple maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Interestingly, the hoards of 'rough sleepers' begging in Cork on the run up to Xmas seem to have disappeared for the most part.

I'd quit my job if I was offered €600 a week...didn't spend years learning my trade and buying tools and a van to work for €120 a day...check the posting time....I'm heading into work now.

Believe all you want but if they pick up €60 a day (easily achievable) that's €420 a week plus dole = €600. Simple maths.

So why learn a trade if the same money or more can be made begging?. To contribute to society?. You might but Many couldn't care less of that.

According to many here they are cleaning up. To them its lucrative and financially rewarding. So its just pride stopping most from begging is it?

Your telling me beggers in rural towns in Ireland get €60 a day?

Not all beggers have a patch on Grafton Street like!.

Dont gimme that pride/contribute to society bullplop the whole country be out there with a stryafoam cup if €600 a week was made begging handily.

Pride turns angels into devils as the old saying goes.

Lets say they do get €600 a week. Why begrudge em? Because you work on your trade?. They might see begging as theres and see it as a skill unto itself.
    Or maybe they don't who knows?.

Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd recommend people talk to beggers and the homeless, you ll probably hear some disturbing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

What's this "spare change" to which the beggers refer?
    I don't ever, ever carry "spare change". Mister.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If anyone is going to spend my money on drink and drugs it's going to be me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Some areas of Paris after dark are so much worse for people sleeping rough than dublin. At least it was a few years ago. I don't think they're as intimidating though as some of the ones in Dublin, the police over there take no messing so they seem to be better behaved in general.

I'm torn on the subject tbh. My husband grew up with a man whose father is now homeless. He had been an alcoholic, came off it, couldn't cope with life and left his wife and home to live outside the local shopping centre! He drinks again now, 5 cans a day or so. Never to the point of being drunk but in his own words "enough to keep going". His son is doing really well and there has been many attempts to help the man but he just can't function in normal life. By all accounts he's a very soft spoken and nice person. He's not making money from begging, just enough for his few cans and food. It's really sad and in his case a definite mental health issue.

Years ago, out in Dublin on a bitter night, my husband offered to buy a begger some food. He was foreign, Bosnian to be exact and clearly in a bad way. He had no heavy coat, no blanket with him. When offered food he ordered just chips (burger place), husband ordered him the same meal as himself and sat for a chat. Some of the stories the man told about his past and now living in Dublin, were horrible. When finished eating he thanked my husband for giving him food and taking time to chat.

Stories like them make me less likely to disregard them all as chancers. While i know that there are a lot of supports for them, some are genuine and fall through the cracks.

Whispered wrote:
    Stories like them make me less likely to disregard them all as chancers. While i know that there are a lot of supports for them, some are genuine and fall through the cracks.

I know an Irish chap that was made homeless from his teens, I don't know how he's still alive, seems to be doing ok though, slowly trying to pull his life together, is no longer homeless but has very deep scars that require professional attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    He might just be waiting at a location where he happened to have
    first met his ex girlfriend on the basis that she also will decide to
    travel to this location at which point they can resolve outstanding
    issues and get back together again.

Sounds like you're following a Script there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Birneybau wrote: »
    Spill, what did she do?

Oops. I meant to say foreign lol

I think his point is that if everybody stopped giving money, the incentive to beg wouldn't be there any more.

It's a simplistic solution but he's not wrong.

That's it.

There should be public information notices advising people not to give to beggars, as giving only encourages the thing. But of course people will think that hard-hearted without thinking of the organised begging rings and the spoofers that clearly don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If everybody just said no, it wouldn't be such a problem. I can remember the last time I gave anything to a beggar. It must be years at this stage.

While I'm here, does anyone understand why people give money to begging gipsies? I never understood this. I thought the whole world knew that these people are organised scammers. And yet I've actually seen people give them money. The mind boggles.

My wifes the worst for wanting to give them money. Its usually my money too because she never carries coins. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

That's it.

There should be public information notices advising people not to give to beggars, as giving only encourages the thing. But of course people will think that hard-hearted without thinking of the organised begging rings and the spoofers that clearly don't need it.

The police need to come down harsh on them. There is literally no point in arresting them but beggars need to be constantly hounded and moved on by police.

When the police move them on they need to be told where to find legitimate help.
    Eventually after consistent months and years of police hounding the beggars and informing them of where they can get actual help maybe the problem will come under control.

The police need to come down harsh on them. There is literally no point in arresting them but beggars need to be constantly hounded and moved on by police.

When the police move them on they need to be told where to find legitimate help.
    Eventually after consistent months and years of police hounding the beggars and informing them of where they can get actual help maybe the problem will come under control.

have you ever tried to reason with a person with highly complex issues such as mental health problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I was in Rome a few years back and I saw an old man with a long white beard, stumps for arms and legs, flailing about on the footpath with a cup in front of him. He was dressed in a sort of toga as well and howling like someone was stabbing him.

Now that's committed begging.

• Advertisement

The public need to be told NOT to give and the reasons why giving to all and sundry is undesirable, that'll choke off their money source. You can be moving them around all you want, they'll just be back at their pitch within seconds.
    The Irish psyche is the 'arra shur God love dem' mindset, esp. when presented with begging 'props' like children and dogs, which would be hard to change tbf.

Advertisement