Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping

• 08-10-2016 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right section but who do you tip and how much. Apart from restaurants.

Do you ever tip Tesco delivery man ?

Hairdressers ? If 2/3 people do your hair how do you go about the tip ? Example one person would do highlights, next wash and next person dry lol do u give main person tip for divide it all out.

Take away delivery man, how much would you tip?

What other people you tip ?

I'm always wondering am I tipping 2 much or little lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Not sure if this is the right section but who do you tip and how much. Apart from restaurants.

Do you ever tip Tesco delivery man ?

Hairdressers ? If 2/3 people do your hair how do you go about the tip ? Example one person would do highlights, next wash and next dry lol pr

Other people you tip
    Waiters/waitresses....everyone else gets nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I get a full head of highlights in the hair salon and I tip the girl doing the highlights. That's the most time consuming. She does the most work.

I will tip a taxi driver if I have a spare euro or two but if I dont and he hands me back a tenner I wont tip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

I pay EUR13 for a haircut, the tip is included in the price. If not, they are overcharging.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I like to tip cows. Can't bate a good tippin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gifted wrote: »

Same here.
    Might tip barber at Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

fussyonion wrote: »

I will tip a taxi driver if I have a spare euro or two but if I dont and he hands me back a tenner I wont tip.

Why tip a taxi driver? Is it for their social skills, especially near journey's end where they try and build a rapport so you feel like you have to give a tip? A friend of a friend is a taxi driver and he said, 'if you can't afford a tip then don't take a taxi'.

I don't get it. They set a price (or the regulator does) and that's what they should get paid.

I avoid taxis for that very reason (I'd rather take my own car and not drink), it's the expectation I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Wasn't there another tipping thread recently. If a mod merges them there might be a tip in it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Use the search function. You can have that one for nothing op.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I tip 8-10% in restaurants depending on service.

In a taxi if the driver is pleasant, safe and dialogue is at a satisfactory level then I'll tip if I have the change.

I tip my own barber quite simply because he does a special rate for certain customers and I feel I'm ripping him off if I don't! (He does a great job though)

I tip a good massage therapist if I'm a regular. (Above board legit massage therapy mind!) Spa therapists in Ireland earn poor money for the work they do.

I'm in the US a lot and tipping there is bonkers. I'm used to it. I automatically am adding on the tip and taxes when I'm looking at pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

In the rare event I get a taxi, then I normally round the fare up. So the charge is 8, I'll give 10. If we get a food delivery, +€3. If eating out then I always add €5 for service.

I never get more than a cut and dry at a hairdresser, so I don't bother with that. I'm not sure where else tipping is appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

munster87 wrote: »
    Wasn't there another tipping thread recently. If a mod merges them there might be a tip in it for them.

I only joined 2/3 weeks ago. I'll look for link

faceman wrote: »
    I tip a good massage therapist if I'm a regular. (Above board legit massage therapy mind!).

Why don't you tip the OTHER kind... bad form, dude. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tip hairdressers if I'm happy with their service. Has it been efficient? Have I been pawned off on many juniors? Did I get what I asked for?

I tip makeup artists if they've done an exceptionally good job. I'm fussy and hard to please, so if I walk out without having to fix anything, I'll happily leave a tip. That's only happened twice though.

I tip waitresses and waiters, again, if it's a good job.

Beauticians, sometimes. If she's had to touch my feet, that gets a tip. If I'm getting a wax, that'll get a tip. Anything else, meh. Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Stop. Tipping.

No studies have shown that it positively affects the performance of the server and it could possibly result in even worse performance for follow up customers.

I, for one, never tip.

Obligatory youtube video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Waiter/waitress they deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Waiter/waitress, but only if they were really good.

Delivery driver if the food got there fast, and because I used to be a delivery driver so have a sense of camaraderie with them.

Tip for the mods - get a real job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Sono

Restaurants - always
    Taxi men - some times but wouldn't go out of my way to

There's no one else I feel the need to tip, always collect a take away the rare times that I do order.

Sono wrote: »
    There's no one else I feel the need to tip, always collect a take away the rare times that I do order.

Same here, I never get a takeaway delivered, always easier to collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I see no problem with tipping people for exceptional service.

My hairdresser does a great job, is friendly and good value. It deserves a tip.

If a food delivery says 45 minutes and arrives in 25, that counts too.

How much to tip though is a lot down to circumstances, service expected, and service received. It's hard to say how much to tip because every situation is different.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

gifted wrote: »

Miserly kant

Mod: Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No there has never been a tip thread on boards. It's all in yer head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Jesus. wrote: »
    Miserly kant

I'd tip the blokes who nailed you to the cross lol lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You would be stunned what a waiter in a busy decent restaurant in Dublin city centre can come out with in tips. 300 euro cash in hand tax free in a good week. That's before they actually get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

You would be stunned what a waiter in a busy decent restaurant in Dublin city centre can come out with in tips. 300 euro cash in hand tax free in a good week. That's before they actually get paid.

And your point is..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Yeah, I would tip. Generously after a few drinks. But only taxi drivers and in bars/restaurants.
    Dont see any problem with it as long as it is not expected.

In the states they can be almost aggressive in asking for the tip. Bellboys and Parking attendants spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Old advice which I have found works well in reality: if you like a place, food service etc and it's in demand, tip well. They will remember you and little advantages happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I tip nobody. Minimum wage is there for a reason.
    Fleawuss wrote: »
    Old advice which I have found works well in reality: if you like a place, food service etc and it's in demand, tip well. They will remember you and little advantages happen.

New advice: Don't use a service that will punish you for not paying extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Why tip a taxi driver?
    If you take a taxi to the airport and agree on 20 Euro, at the airport he then wants 30 Euro, best is to have a look at his licence. If his name is "Hutch" then I would pay and also tip him, especially if he picked you up at your home address.

• Advertisement

Haithabu wrote: »
    If you take a taxi to the airport and agree on 20 Euro, at the airport he then wants 30 Euro, best is to have a look at his licence. If his name is "Hutch" then I would pay and also tip him, especially if he picked you up at your home address.

:D

Another reason to avoid taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

Watch a video on youtube called "Why tipping is a scam" by GradeAUnderA

Can't post a link, I'm new here

not yet wrote: »
    And your point is..?
    I thought my point was pretty self explanatory. It is actually possible to make a statement and not have some ulterior meaning behind it.

Fleawuss wrote: »

True,

I was in a restaurant last weekend and the table next to us didn't tip on a 120 euro bill, my table tipped 20 on a 140 bill...guess who got a free sambuca.

I thought my point was pretty self explanatory. It is actually possible to make a statement and not have some ulterior meaning behind it.

It just seemed from your post that you had a gripe with a waiter earning 200-300 a week from tips, '' on top of their wages''...just saying.

It just seemed from your post that you had a gripe with a waiter earning 200-300 a week from tips, '' on top of their wages''...just saying.
    No gripe. Lived with few waitresses and waiters who worked in decent restaurants and they were earning good money, much of it tax free.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I tip nobody.

Spreading joy throughout the World...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I only tip in countries where it is expected due to minimum wage structure. I might round up a fare in a taxi but that's not tipping, just convenience.

guess who got a free sambuca.

Not you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I don't tip. Why should I? People get paid by their employers and that's enough.

No gripe. Lived with few waitresses and waiters who worked in decent restaurants and they were earning good money, much of it tax free.

So you think it should be taxed then..?

• Advertisement

Not you anyway.

What makes you think that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

JohnRock wrote: »
    Watch a video on youtube called "Why tipping is a scam" by GradeAUnderA

Can't post a link, I'm new here

You need to get into a pointless argument with someone. That's 50 posts right there.

That tip's for free (sticking on topic :)) .

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

True,

I was in a restaurant last weekend and the table next to us didn't tip on a 120 euro bill, my table tipped 20 on a 140 bill...guess who got a free sambuca.

"Free"... you paid 20 quid for them! Although I can't tell if you were being sarcastic...

I don't tip in general.
    The only time I do tip is if there is no explicit delivery charge on a takeaway. I'll give them €2 as that's just what I do.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Waiters/waitresses will get tipped if they're good.

I generally tip the barber too. He charges €8 but I just give him a tenner and tell him to keep the change.

I'd tip workmen that might be doing stuff around the house and do a tidy job also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Tipping by default is weird.

I don't get why tipping waiters in restaurants is expected. Being a waiter is no harder than most other minimum/low wage jobs and it's by far the easiest job in a restaurant.

If someone really impresses you (whatever job it is) then go nuts.

Personally, I think we tip because we feel guilty about having someone do everything for us, or just because it's expected.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Tipping by default is weird.

I don't get why tipping waiters in restaurants is expected. Being a waiter is no harder than most other minimum/low wage jobs and it's by far the easiest job in a restaurant.

If someone really impresses you (whatever job it is) then go nuts.

Personally, I think we tip because we feel guilty about having someone do everything for us, or just because it's expected.
    When I used to work in a restaurant kitchen many years ago, tips were always gathered and divided out between waiting staff and kitchen staff equally.

Presumably, this is not standard tip etiquette in all restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

A lot of restaurants put a service charge on their bill. If they do that, I don't tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A lot of restaurants put a service charge on their bill. If they do that, I don't tip.

A lot of places in London (and I assume Dublin is the same) are doing this and not paying the money to the staff. I always ask the staff do they get the service charge and if they don't get it in its entirity I ask for it to be removed from the bill and give them cash instead.

Absolutely disgraceful for a business to be basically stealing money from their staff and enticing extra from customers under false pretences. And often it's the big chains at it too.

Grayson wrote: »
    You need to get into a pointless argument with someone. That's 50 posts right there.

That tip's for free (sticking on topic :)) .

Unless some over zealous mod gets involved where not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I don't really get why places have a service charge - staff wages are a normal business cost and should be included fully in the price.

If you were to list VAT separately it wouldn't be allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement