Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you end up with a job related to your college degree?

Options
  • 31-08-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

So myself personally have studied aeronautical engineering in UL and have some experience not necessarily related to engineering. I worked as an ATC trainee, then worked in aircraft leasing and now have a technician job which is more software/hardware job. It is not entirely related to the topics I've been taught in uni which were more structurally and design oriented, although still work in the aviation industry. I wonder how many people here actually work in the field they have studied or work in a place they have got into without having a college degree? Do some of ye feel a bit lost after graduation trying to find that perfect "branch" of the business?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No. I just pricked around from job to job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Ha d you recently graduated OP? Like early 20's and out of University a year or two?

Work in the industry you're interested in for a while and don't pressure yourself to like it.

I finally ended up in my childhood dream job for my childhood dream company about 6 years after graduating.

I ended up hating it. The thing I enjoyed was not something I enjoyed as a career but still do as a hobby.

I'm now in a field that suits me, something I've always been good at but not passionate about.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

circadian wrote: »
    Ha d you recently graduated OP? Like early 20's and out of University a year or two?

Work in the industry you're interested in for a while and don't pressure yourself to like it.

I finally ended up in my childhood dream job for my childhood dream company about 6 years after graduating.

I ended up hating it. The thing I enjoyed was not something I enjoyed as a career but still do as a hobby.

I'm now in a field that suits me, something I've always been good at but not passionate about.

I cannot fault my current job to be honest. I graduated two years ago and went straight into ATC thinking I was made for it but oh boy I was wrong. I dropped out due to stress after 14 months and was pretty sad as it was my childhood dream job. Then struggled to find something that'd interest me. Just wondering how people dealt with the post-uni period and if they actually do what they've studied :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Nope, nobody would give me a job in my college stuff because probably of my unpolished demeaner. I didnt go all the way to a degree but I couldnt even get an entry level job in the industry.
    I got a trade and through luck after 15 years in the trade got into a corporate type building and maintenance company. Then into a global manufacturer of heating and air condutioning appliances and now a job running the department that wouldnt give me an interview 20 years earlier to answer their phones would probably be a side step. Im not bitter. I had a bit of a sham aura about me back then. I wouldnt have given myself a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

College degree is Fine Art Paining - there isn’t really any such thing as a job in it. I guess a few people who study it become full-time professional artists, but they’d be few and far between. I didn’t go into it expecting to ever work as an artist, and absolutely loved the course and my time in college. Dabbled on the edges of the art world the year after college, but didn’t like it.

Became a Web Designer (loosely related to art), progressed to Web Developer, then a manager of a Web Development team, and have now ended up managing a larger team of Developers, QA and Project Managers. So it’s quite a bit away from Fine Art Painting, and the conceptual minimalism of my Degree exhibition, but there is a logical path from then to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I did what I studied in college for about 1 month. I hated it and quit. within 2 days i decided to set up my own business. it was something that had really interested me in the 2 years leading up to me quitting the job. the business i set up could have been set up by someone with no qualifications but I think the business degree i studied has helped me a lot, even in terms of the confidence it gave me.

I hate when people say "you should be doing what you studied in college" I tell them I am, I studied business and am running a business. some look down on me for it but i know for a fact im earning way more working for myself than if i had stuck with the graduate job. I was depressed doing that grad job as something was telling me I wasn't doing what I should be doing. I was happy from day 1 as self employed and 5 years later im still as happy.

my mother was very upset i was "fired" i told her that as i knew she wouldnt be happy i quit the job. she told me many reasons why not to start the business but a couple of years later both my parents told me i was right to set up the business.

I would never take back my college years, they were great years, made great friends and really enjoyed the college life and what i studied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Eventually
    I did electronic engineering and after languishing for a while during the recession eventually got a tech support job, followed by another tech support job.

Fook me it was hard to get out of tech support. I'd have recruiters pestering me to start yet another tech support job and I'd be telling them no but any application I sent out for something else fell on deaf ears.

Eventually did succeed getting out of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

What's a college? Actually what's a degree? Is it anything to do with the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

GOOD LORD NO!

I did philosophy. Then a law degree ...only to discover i hated it.

Im now teaching spin classes and pilates ....only well....i am sort of doing them at a loss ...because people have less money ...i can't take as many people ....so ...i dunno if this will last. I don't know if i can keep doing it until covid is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    So myself personally have studied aeronautical engineering in UL and have some experience not necessarily related to engineering. I worked as an ATC trainee, then worked in aircraft leasing and now have a technician job which is more software/hardware job. It is not entirely related to the topics I've been taught in uni which were more structurally and design oriented, although still work in the aviation industry. I wonder how many people here actually work in the field they have studied or work in a place they have got into without having a college degree? Do some of ye feel a bit lost after graduation trying to find that perfect "branch" of the business?
    It would seem VERY interesting though OP. I would think you be someone who could explain a lot of interesting things to do with air travel and the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CS degree - now a software developer, so yes.

Advertisement