Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for 25 amp PSU

Options
  • 27-06-2020 8:41pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a Watson W25AM PSU which I've had for years, but it's a noisy fecker when it has even a smallish current drain on it (internal fan noise) and it's getting worse. It's got to the point where the fan is on all the time, even with no drain, and I've replaced the little op-amp IC which controls the fan a couple of times now, but it happens again and again.

So time to replace, I really don't do much on the radio these days, nothing on HF really so am thinking of a smaller, lighter switch mode PSU. Anyone got any recommendations for a good one? I see most/all of these have noise cancellers on them.

Kind of like the look of this Alinco unit, has a Voltage/Current meter and USB posts which are handy:
    https://www.radioworld.co.uk/alinco-dm-330fx-30-amp-switch-mode-power-supply-with-usb-por

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

PauloMN wrote: »
    Have a Watson W25AM PSU which I've had for years, but it's a noisy fecker when it has even a smallish current drain on it (internal fan noise) and it's getting worse. It's got to the point where the fan is on all the time, even with no drain, and I've replaced the little op-amp IC which controls the fan a couple of times now, but it happens again and again.

So time to replace, I really don't do much on the radio these days, nothing on HF really so am thinking of a smaller, lighter switch mode PSU. Anyone got any recommendations for a good one? I see most/all of these have noise cancellers on them.

Kind of like the look of this Alinco unit, has a Voltage/Current meter and USB posts which are handy:
    https://www.radioworld.co.uk/alinco-dm-330fx-30-amp-switch-mode-power-supply-with-usb-por

I have that Alinco in the link. Brilliant little piece of kit.

Mine is the older version and doesn't have the usb ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I modded a server supply from a PC network

out of sight, out of mind for about 5 years.... just looked up my blog and its been running since 2013.

cost £13......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Wow, that radioworld website has one absolutely terrible item on it - the autoplay sound, with computer generated voice, *without a stop button*. No control to prevent it happening unless I go looking in the html to see what control to manually stop with e.g. an adblocker.

Absolutely terrible web design, and really puts me off buying anything from them.

On-topic; I'm currently using two PC power supplies with ATX breakout boards as interim power supplies for my setup under construction. Lots of amps possible at 12v, and actually fairly radio quiet according to the oscilloscope. The ATX option is always a reasonable one if your supply is a real name-brand supply. The cheap generics are worse than crap for radio use though, as they're cheap because of the removal of the filtering to keep the costs down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks folks, I just looked it up again and realised the one I linked above is 120V in, obviously not for the European market. It's available in FXT (120V) or FXE (240V) models.

Looks like I'll go for it, just looking for an out of the box solution rather than trying to piece something together myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭jmcc

Did you consider changing the fan? Due to the mechanical wear and tear, they tend to have a relatively short lifespan compared to other components.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

PauloMN wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I just looked it up again and realised the one I linked above is 120V in, obviously not for the European market. It's available in FXT (120V) or FXE (240V) models.

Looks like I'll go for it, just looking for an out of the box solution rather than trying to piece something together myself.

Give Longs in Donegal a shout. Might have 1 in stock.

Advertisement