Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever gave you a fright.

• 19-02-2018 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I opened the bathroom door and the wife jumped out and said boo.
    I’m thinking about setting up a Twitter account but I can’t think of a good hashtag that isn’t already taken.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Once I open the pantry door to be greeted by Aollo Creed astride Shergar holding aloft the sword Excalibur citing "By the power of Greyskull".

At that point I decided to go back watching the darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I frightened the krap out of myself once . Myself and herself were out for a drive one day a couple of years back and ended up driving by the house where my brother in law was reared . It had been empty for years and had become run down , so i decided to take a quick look inside . I went in through the broken back door to utility room and then kitchen , everything was wrecked I opened the kitchen to hallway door to be confronted by a man standing looking at me ,jaysus i nearly died , I actually shouted ''oh fcuk' . Took me a second or two to realize there was a full length mirror on the opposite wall .
    Every thing in the house was wrecked but that bloody thing was still there . Gave the brother in law a good laugh when i told him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

I want to make giving people a fright the worst possible crime and name people who gave me a fright on twitter without trial.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    I opened the bathroom door and the wife jumped out and said boo.
    I’m thinking about setting up a Twitter account but I can’t think of a good hashtag that isn’t already taken.

#bootoo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I love giving people a freight. Serves then right for not paying attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

Freddy Krueger scared seven shades of scutter out of me in the scene where he jumps through the mirror on the bedroom door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Archeron wrote: »
    Freddy Krueger scared seven shades of scutter out of me in the scene where he jumps through the mirror on the bedroom door.

We should stick together on this and even if you weren’t that bothered about it at the time and took it as a joke we have now realised it was an attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This place gets worse, daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I love giving people a freight. Serves then right for not paying attention.

Did you train for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I sold an Xbox a few years ago to a friend of my wife. Agreed to meet one evening in a car park on the way home from work. I was there first.

Few minutes later she pulls up beside me and our eyes meet so I get out and walk around to her passenger side to put it on the seat.

I opened the door and leaned in. What happened next I sort of witnessed in slow motion.

The sound she made when she screamed came from the depths of whatever animals we evolved from. It was visceral.

While creating this sound effect both arms went flying along with the money.

The car engine was still on, so along with the above she mashed her foot onto the accelerator and the engine joined in screaming.

This all happened in nanoseconds so my reaction of initial shock was somewhat delayed with my brain going wtf.

I screamed and naturally jumped with fright and in doing so while holding the door frame whacked the fookin door off the car beside her and set the alarm off.

About 7 seconds in. She's palpitating, the engine is returning from space and I'm coming to grips with the sound of my heart, the engine, the car alarm and the animal sound that just escaped this lady.

When all was calm and the giggles started and I checked the car had no damage we did our deal and left.

Later on she told my wife I made a face like a petrified gerbil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

There is some kind of ghost/demon thing that lives at the bottom of my garden. It only bothers me if I have to go out to the shed for coal after dark. Then it runs at me with its arms outstretched making a kind of a growling sound. Then it backs off but it gives me a fright every time. I'm nearly out of coal now but I'm seriously considering letting the fire die out rather than face that.

Slantied wrote: »
    By coal do you mean blocks of hash?

Lol, no just good old fashioned coal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

#meboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Years ago (about 30). My granny lived with us and shared my bedroom, Sunday night was bingo night and she would come home and hang her coat up in our wardrobe (built in one) then sit on her bed and pray... For AGES...
    So I hear her coming in the front door and I jump into the wardrobe thinking this'll be class, frighten the life out of her .. she was about 80 at the time.
    In she comes and I am silently giggling away .. then she sits on the bed and starts her prayers. Well fcuk, so I'm standing in the wardrobe like a plonker thinking 'I'll look like a big eejit if I just walk out while she's sitting on the bed.'

So I stood, listening to her prayers kinda mesmerized by the whole chanting thing and then the door opens ..
    I jumped out of my skin and let a yell out of me and which sent granny screaming and my mother flying into the room thinking she was half dead... I was lucky didn't give them both a heart attack.

I still giggle thinking about it. My granny was a bit straight laced but saw the funny side, we laughed for ages! :D she lived to be 99 ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The daughter when she sat me and her man down broke the news to us that she had decided to become a prostitute.

I was scared shytless initially but soon calmed down once she had clarofied
    (I thought she said protestant) .

Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When I was around 14 or 15, my brother found a kids toy knife out on the road that pushes into its own handle. I was standing and talking to him while he was drying some dishes. He was drying the knife with a tea cloth which I wasn't really paying attention to but subconsciously recognised it and thought it was real.

He stopped mid conversation and stabbed me with it in the shoulder. There was a few seconds where I was in complete shock and trying to register what happened, looking down at the knife and back at him thinking "You stabbed me? I can't believe you just stabbed me"!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yester wrote: »
    There is some kind of ghost/demon thing that lives at the bottom of my garden. It only bothers me if I have to go out to the shed for coal after dark. Then it runs at me with its arms outstretched making a kind of a growling sound. Then it backs off but it gives me a fright every time. I'm nearly out of coal now but I'm seriously considering letting the fire die out rather than face that.
    Fill some water balloons with holy water and hide them in the scuttle next time you go down for coal, and act natural ie scared. when it runs at you let the evil little fcuker have it.

Fill some water balloons with holy water and hide them in the scuttle next time you go down for coal, and act natural ie scared. when it runs at you let the evil little fcuker have it.

I will try this tomorrow night and report back. Actually, how do I get the Holy Water into the balloons? Anytime I made a water balloon it was the pressure from the tap that fills them up. I suppose I could fill the balloons with ordinary water and then get a priest to bless them but that might seem like a strange request.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I found a member of my immediate family hung themselves in the bathroom when I was 14, never screamed like that before in my life or since.

Yester wrote: »
    I will try this tomorrow night and report back. Actually, how do I get the Holy Water into the balloons? Anytime I made a water balloon it was the pressure from the tap that fills them up. I suppose I could fill the balloons with ordinary water and then get a priest to bless them but that might seem like a strange request.
    I see your point. Maybe fill an empty washing up bottle or water pistol and squirt it with that. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

A guy shot me (by accident) back in the 1980s.

About three months later I was crossing a street when along came the same guy on his bicycle and knocked me down!

Neither of these frightened me as much as when I saw the same ****er talking driving lessons a week later after he won big on the Lottery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Every time I look in my wallet.Scares the living ****e outta me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

cbyrd wrote: »
    Years ago (about 30). My granny lived with us and shared my bedroom, Sunday night was bingo night and she would come home and hang her coat up in our wardrobe (built in one) then sit on her bed and pray... For AGES...
    So I hear her coming in the front door and I jump into the wardrobe thinking this'll be class, frighten the life out of her .. she was about 80 at the time.
    In she comes and I am silently giggling away .. then she sits on the bed and starts her prayers. Well fcuk, so I'm standing in the wardrobe like a plonker thinking 'I'll look like a big eejit if I just walk out while she's sitting on the bed.'

So I stood, listening to her prayers kinda mesmerized by the whole chanting thing and then the door opens ..
    I jumped out of my skin and let a yell out of me and which sent granny screaming and my mother flying into the room thinking she was half dead... I was lucky didn't give them both a heart attack.

I still giggle thinking about it. My granny was a bit straight laced but saw the funny side, we laughed for ages! :D she lived to be 99 ..

Mate of mine tried something similar on me. We were away for the night staying in his brothers house and had been on the lash. I went to the toilet in the middle of the night and he heard me and decided to get in the wardrobe to jump out and scare the **** out of me.

I fell asleep on the toilet and he fell asleep in the wardrobe waiting. I was woken up around 8am by the lad who owned the gaff shouting that he needed the bog. I went back to bed only to see my other mate fall out of the wardrobe - poor git could barely stand up he was so stiff and was in agony for a few days with back pain.

When I was a youngfellit I got mugged for the princely sum of £1.50 and a bag of chips. There were three chaps and I sort of knew the main guy who did it, he was about 16 maybe and people used to say that he was a very bad egg and to be avoided at all costs. Before they left he held a knife right up to my eyeball and said if I told anyone what happened he was going to find me and stab me in the eye. It was nearly a brown trouser moment.

I see your point. Maybe fill an empty washing up bottle or water pistol and squirt it with that. Good luck.

Excellent idea and I happen to have an empty washing up bottle (thank god I don't use Fairy Liquid) I'll give that a go.

Advertisement