Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland RWC Backline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jones is in the squad because he does all the little things and does them well. He's very much a player than be a cog in a system and fit in when called upon. Doesn't have many eye catching moments but he's very much a team player which always appears to be what Schmidt values.

There's no specific facet of his game that excels or has him in the squad, similar to Trimble. He's just a really solid performer with a low error count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wang King wrote: »
    Jones tackles better than anyone in the back 3, to even suggest Fitz even comes close is laughable, good luck with the love in

And you were talking about reality? Fitz is good enough to be one of the best centres playing in the country. A huge part of that is down to his defensive abilities. After BOD and D'Arcy, he is probably the best tackling and jackling back around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I can't see the logic in taking Jones ahead of Earls, Fitz, Zebo, Trimble, Reid or Gilroy. They are all better players than him and are more capable of covering multiple positions off of the bench.

I hope that Joe a gives some countenance to mixing up the back line. Payne at FB and one of Fitz or Earls in the centre with Henshaw would be a worthwhile experiment.

They all have their negatives:
    Earls - size
    Fitz - lack of try scoring ability, made of glass
    Zebo - everything :)
    Trimble - poor kicking game, not great under high ball
    Reid - looks promising but is inexperienced
    Gilroy - defence

Jones tackles better than anyone in the back 3, to even suggest Fitz even comes close is laughable, good luck with the love in

I know you've a bit of a crush on Jones but Fitz is a superb tackler. Always has been. That doesn't mean Jones isn't excellent too.

It's pretty far fetched to say it's laughable that Fitzgerald "even comes close" to Jones in defence. Many people would have Fitzgerald ahead; it's probably the strongest aspect of his game.

And you were talking about reality? Fitz is good enough to be one of the best centres playing in the country. A huge part of that is down to his defensive abilities. After BOD and D'Arcy, he is probably the best tackling and jackling back around.

Yet, Joe Schmidt sees him as a winger, not a centre. Payne & Henshaw are good defensively, but lack attacking ability. An attacking centre is what is needed, not another backrower in the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I read this post... And no....still wondering

Are you trying to say that Fitz ( or Earls for that matter) aren't attacking centres? From your history, I know you champion Earls in much the same way that I do Fitz. I would like to see someone else given a shot with Henshaw.

I read this post... And no....still wondering

Well, good for you so. No point in continuing the discussion obviously.

Buer wrote: »
    I know you've a bit of a crush on Jones but Fitz is a superb tackler. Always has been. That doesn't mean Jones isn't excellent too.

It's pretty far fetched to say it's laughable that Fitzgerald "even comes close" to Jones in defence. Many people would have Fitzgerald ahead; it's probably the strongest aspect of his game.

If tackling is the strongest aspect of Fitz's game, he's in trouble.
    One on one, there is no better tackle in the Irish back 3 options that Jones.
    He has his limitations, of course, but anyone who has ever seen him tackle knows he is superb at it, Fitz offers mountains more as an attacking option, but nope, not defensively, not even close

Well, good for you so. No point in continuing the discussion obviously.

When i read something that makes sense, maybe, until then, I'll just say no thank you

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I'm hoping Payne steps it up a notch. Whilst he's done no wrong he's still the weak link in our back line actually opening up sides. We miss the maestro so much in that regards, and whilst it's nice having a back line full of 15st flankerish backs we haven't looked like moving the ball in a way that'll turn sides inside out? Is it beyond us? Absolutely not. Joe is one of the best back coaches in the business, the stuff Leinster were pulling off in their pomp wasn't flukes, his playbook is exciting, but you need 100% accuracy, confidence and commitment to pull it off.

I'm hoping with a good 6n under his belt that Payne will look to create a bit more and the playbook will be used a bit more liberally.

I know you're not having a dig at him but I don't think this post is very fair. We didn't play very creatively in the 6N, nobody did really, so I'm not sure singling out Payne is entirely right. Henshaw had a very strong, all-action tournament but I don't think bringing Payne into the game was something he did especially well. I was really impressed by Payne overall, I'm not going to go looking for the stats (so hopefully you'll take my word for it) but he made a deceptive amount of ground in the tournament with ball in hand and he controlled his channel in defence so well. Tbh if we're looking to dish out "blame" for lack of a better word, it should be pointed at the coaching team. We've two halfbacks who kick the ball incredibly well so we went with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I genuinely have no idea what you've been watching WK. I would rate fitz's defense as the best part of his game and he's easily the best back 3 tackler I've seen at Leinster for some time. He's textbook.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I genuinely have no idea what you've been watching WK. I would rate fitz's defense as the best part of his game and he's easily the best back 3 tackler I've seen at Leinster for some time. He's textbook.

Right, lets make it easy for us.
    Why did Schmidt pick Felix for the squad, and bring him into the team when he felt it was needed?
    Some sense of misplaced loyalty? He liked the way he ran perhaps?.
    Any of those? Something else maybe?
    One on one, imo! we have nobody in the back 3 better defending our line , or in a one on one try scoring situation.
    Now Joe may not think the same as me, but he picks him

If tackling is the strongest aspect if Fitz's game, he's in trouble

I'm not sure if you think he's just a poor defender in that case?

I would genuinely say his defence is best asset. People would be hard pushed to remember any significant errors off the top of their head. They notice the jinking footwork but his tackling and positioning is top class.

He won MOTM in the do or die ECC game at Wasps this season based purely on his defence when he was shutting down anything that moved and making multiple good defensive reads; that is far from out of the ordinary.

I would genuinely say his defence is best asset. People would be hard pushed to remember any significant errors off the top of their head. They notice the jinking footwork but his tackling and positioning is top class.

He won MOTM in the do or die ECC game at Wasps this season based purely on his defence when he was shutting down anything that moved and making multiple good defensive reads; that is far from out of the ordinary.

I don't think his defending is poor, all I'm saying, and I stick by it, is Jones is our best tackler bar none in all of our back 3 options.
    Joe has complete confidence in bringing him into a game at a point when defense is paramount, and that's a much better affirmation than I can ever give him

Why did Schmidt pick Felix for the squad, and bring him into the team when he felt it was needed?
    One on one, imo! we have nobody in the back 3 better defending our line , or in a one on one try scoring situation.

No coach picks any player for a single aspect of their game much less such an isolated item as one on one tackling where there might not be a single one for the player to make in 80 minutes.

Jones is picked because he's a very solid performer, does all the little things well and plays intelligently.

I never mentioned Jones there. The only time I have mentioned him in this thread is to say he is 100% going.

I don't even have an issue with you claiming jones is better defensively. I honestly haven't seen enough of him to know. But you have been incredibly dismissive of the notion that Fitz is in anyway good defensively and that simply doesn't fit with reality.

Fitz doesn't play full back so he doesn't come one on one with players as often. He was absolutely supreme defending from centre in the season gone and his tackling head on is almost flawless. Whether jones would be better one on one I don't know but you're being weirdly and stupidly dismissive of Fitzgerald and I don't understand it.

I don't think his defending is poor, all I'm saying, and I stick by it, is Jones is our best tackler bar none in all of our back 3 options.
    Joe has complete confidence in bringing him into a game at a point when defense is paramount, and that's a much better affirmation than I can ever give him

So let me get this straight - the fact Jones doesn't start but sometimes comes on towards the end of games (he was unused in 3 of the 6N games) is meant to demonstrate he's a better defender than the guys that actually do start...?

I don't think his defending is poor
    If tackling is the strongest aspect of Fitz's game, he's in trouble.

Doesn't exactly read that way

• Advertisement

Doesn't exactly read that way

Does anyone think Fitz is picked on the wing because of his defensive ability? Was that why he was picked against Scotland, to stem the flow of the attacking threat they carried?

Does anyone think Fitz is picked on the wing because of his defensive ability? Was that why he was picked against Scotland, to stem the flow of the attacking threat they carried?

I imagine it helped yes. Your comment was flippant though, and whatever way you meant it it implies that you consider his defense not just not on par with jones but actively bad.

I never mentioned Jones there. The only time I have mentioned him in this thread is to say he is 100% going.

I don't even have an issue with you claiming jones is better defensively. I honestly haven't seen enough of him to know. But you have been incredibly dismissive of the notion that Fitz is in anyway good defensively and that simply doesn't fit with reality.

Fitz doesn't play full back so he doesn't come one on one with players as often. He was absolutely supreme defending from centre in the season gone and his tackling head on is almost flawless. Whether jones would be better one on one I don't know but you're being weirdly and stupidly dismissive of Fitzgerald and I don't understand it.

When you start calling people stupid you've lost what little credibility the post may have had, good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is a silly question really. He might be the best defensive winger in the world but still selected against Scotland for attacking reasons, it wouldn't mean anything about his defensive ability one way or another.

I imagine it helped yes. Your comment was flippant though, and whatever way you meant it it implies that you consider his defense not just not on par with jones but actively bad.

His defense is not on a par with Jones imo, its not even close, but I also said that Fitz is acres ahead of Jones in attacking ability... But that doesn't suit your narrative

Whats his defence like as a fullback though? Comparing him to Felix Jones's defence is not comparing like with like.

Felix learned his tackling technique from Doug Howlett. He launches himself like a torpedo. Great tackle here:
    http://gfycat.com/ScientificEveryIcelandicsheepdog

What isn't mentioned either is that he is very pacy.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

His defense is not on a par with Jones imo, its not even close,

Ah but they are though.

Tackling and defense would be a strong factor of both their games, in their preferred positions.

To claim they are "not even close" would be to suggest that fitz isnt a strong tackler, which isn't correct.

Anyway, it's a silly argument.

Roll on the Scots game

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ah but they are though.

Tackling and defense would be a strong factor of both their games, in their preferred positions.

To claim they are "not even close" would be to suggest that fitz isnt a strong tackler, which isn't correct.

Anyway, it's a silly argument.

Roll on the Scots game

I didn't suggest Fitz isn't a strong tackler, you drew that inference all on your own
    Imagine if I said Jones was our strongest threat going forward... My post would be as delusional as some others I've read on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jm08 wrote: »
    Whats his defence like as a fullback though? Comparing him to Felix Jones's defence is not comparing like with like..

Yes, if anything Fitz frequently defends in the 13 channel, the hardest area of the pitch to defend, and does it superbly. Someone said earlier hes the best back 3 defender in Leinster for some time, and Id be tempted to extend that to the whole backline, hes outstanding. Defence is not just about "launching yourself like a torpedo"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I didn't suggest Fitz isn't a strong tackler, you drew that inference all on your own

But then by your argument, if fitz is a strong tackler but "not even close" to Jones. .... that makes Jones some how a super human tackler?.... or what adjective do you use to describe something so far beyond strong as to be not even close to it?

Tox56 wrote: »
    Yes, if anything Fitz frequently defends in the 13 channel, the hardest area of the pitch to defend, and does it superbly. Someone said earlier hes the best back 3 defender in Leinster for some time, and Id be tempted to extend that to the whole backline, hes outstanding. Defence is not just about "launching yourself like a torpedo"

Munster had the 2nd best defence in the league last season (conceeding 31 tries, one behind Ospreys). Leinster conceeded 39, 8 more tries.

As for launching himself as a torpedo - at least he commits himself, unlike Kearney who seems to fall off tackles a bit.

• Advertisement

Munster had the 2nd best defence in the league last season (conceeding 31 tries, one behind Ospreys). Leinster conceeded 39, 8 more tries.

As for launching himself as a torpedo - at least he commits himself, unlike Kearney who seems to fall off tackles a bit.

And there go the goalposts.

The first paragraph are team statistics, irrelevant to a discussion about indvidual ability.

The second paragraph is a completely irrelevant and pointless attempt to take a shot at a player not even involved in the discussion.

And there go the goalposts.

I think its ridiculous comparing Luke Fitz's defence to Jones'. They play in very different positions.

The first paragraph are team statistics, irrelevant to a discussion about indvidual ability.

The second paragraph is a completely irrelevant and pointless attempt to take a shot at a player not even involved in the discussion.

The point was made that Fitz was Leinster's best back 3 defender. A team stat is relevant as to what the standard is.

I think its ridiculous comparing Luke Fitz's defence to Jones'. They play in very different positions.

That's fine, it's a perfectly reasonable point.

That other stuff you said above has nothing to do with anything.

Jones plays on the wing for Ireland currently. Fitzgerald plays on the wing for Ireland currently.

The point was made that Fitz was Leinster's best back 3 defender. A team stat is relevant as to what the standard is.

No, it's really not. Leinster's back 3 aren't responsible for every try Leinster concede and Munster's back 3 aren't responsible for every try Munster don't concede, that should be blindingly obvious.

Jones plays on the wing for Ireland currently. Fitzgerald plays on the wing for Ireland currently.

Jones doesn't really play anywhere for Ireland currently, or certainly not enough to actually have a decent sample on the wing to judge him on. He made 2 appearances for a total of 20 mins in the 6N.

Jones 's starts for Ireland have always been at fullback (v Argentina & Georgia)

Fitz has had one start on the wing in the last year.

Both have had so few starts, its hard to compare. I don't think Jones would ever be considered to start as a wing.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    But then by your argument, if fitz is a strong tackler but "not even close" to Jones. .... that makes Jones some how a super human tackler?.... or what adjective do you use to describe something so far beyond strong as to be not even close to it?

Well, when Joe looks around and brings Fitz into the pitch when defending on our line, and not Jones, who in turn makes a try saving tackle , we can argue semantics, until then, I stand by my opinion

• Advertisement

No, it's really not. Leinster's back 3 aren't responsible for every try Leinster concede and Munster's back 3 aren't responsible for every try Munster don't concede, that should be blindingly obvious.

I didn't claim that they were responsible for all the conceeded tries. But you won't have a good defence if your back 3 players are not good defensively

Edit: not saying that Leinster are bad defensively. Just that Munster last season were better than Leinster.

Jones doesn't really play anywhere for Ireland currently, or certainly not enough to actually have a decent sample on the wing to judge him on. He made 2 appearances for a total of 20 mins in the 6N.

As opposed to Fitz first start in 4 years in an Ireland shirt?

I didn't claim that they were responsible for all the conceeded tries. But you won't have a good defence if your back 3 players are not good defensively.

No, you wouldn't. Similarly you could have superb defenders in all back 3 positions and still concede tries. It's a completely irrelevant statistic.

No, you wouldn't. Similarly you could have superb defenders in all back 3 positions and still concede tries. It's a completely irrelevant statistic.

What's a relevant statistic there so, just throw one out so we can follow your meandering line of thinking?

As opposed to Fitz first start in 4 years in an Ireland shirt?

Felix Jones has barely played on the wing. That is what my post said and this is fairly incontrovertible.

Luke Fitz has played a lot on the wing. I know he hasn't played much at all for Ireland recently.

What's a relevant statistic there so, just throw one out so we can follow your meandering line of thinking?

There is no relevant statistic when comparing the tackling ability of two individual rugby players.

There is no relevant statistic when comparing the tackling ability of two individual rugby players.

So, nothing, that's grand thanks

So, nothing, that's grand thanks

That was the entire point. Do you disagree with that? I don't understand why you're picking up on this point.

There is a stat. Tackles made/Tackles missed.

v Wasps, Fitz made 9 tackles and missed 1. That is a fairly good stat for a centre.

• Advertisement

There is a stat. Tackles made/Tackles missed.

v Wasps, Fitz made 9 tackles and missed 1. That is a fairly good stat for a centre.

That doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the tackles. A guy could be employed as a shooter in defense and be more likely to miss tackles. A guy could be chasing kicks all day and miss a couple of tackles on overcooked balls etc. That statistics are not granular enough.

Advertisement