Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A game against Georgia compared to Scotland will always be priced differently and as these games will be very different to games in November against T2 sides..
    How do you propose more games for those sides to play higher quality of games. Theyre getting Autumn internationals and summer games against T1 sides. No other time for games. Georgia wont ever play 6 nations as there isn't the space in season for them to play expanded 6Ns. It would benefit Georgia etc to play more but they are playing more t1 sides with new IRB schedule

I'm not suggesting anything as to how they get to play higher quality games. I'm simply stating a fact, that it's a shame they don't get to. That's it.

I know the games will be priced differently but can you really say €70 for a warm up match between two under strength sides is a reasonable price?

Scotland are charging between £15 and £25 for their home match against Italy and you get a free child under 12 ticket with every adult one. It's also their 2nd to last match before the world cup so there's a pretty good chance they'll have a near full strength squad out too. That seems much more reasonable than the prices we're charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Does anyone know what the attendance was in the Aviva yesterday? It was never announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm not suggesting anything as to how they get to play higher quality games. I'm simply stating a fact, that it's a shame they don't get to. That's it.

I know the games will be priced differently but can you really say €70 for a warm up match between two under strength sides is a reasonable price?

Scotland are charging between £15 and £25 for their home match against Italy and you get a free child under 12 ticket with every adult one. It's also their 2nd to last match before the world cup so there's a pretty good chance they'll have a near full strength squad out too. That seems much more reasonable than the prices we're charging.

The Welsh charged something like £20 a ticket last week and filled the stadium. Think if the IRFU had halved the price yesterday, they would have had a similar turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Padkir wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the attendance was in the Aviva yesterday? It was never announced.

Guys behind me said 35K - optimistic I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The corporate areas seemed full all right but on tv at least the stands looked half empty!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stephen_n wrote: »
    The corporate areas seemed full all right but on tv at least the stands looked half empty!

They were there were entire blocks that were empty
    I'd say it was about 40 percent full

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

independent has it at 30,000

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

CMiQk1rWIAES067.jpg

CMiQhWIWUAEgmGv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They said it was close to 35,000 on Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Synode wrote: »
    They said it was close to 35,000 on Sky

Think they said ~ 31000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Only from their perspective. Really we only have France to deal with, I'd rather that than have Australia, NZ or SA in our group so out of the NH teams were doing by far the best.

I'm totally bought into the Joe Show, and I have complete faith in the sheer quality of our team. We're going to well beat France and squeaky bum time is going to be on hold until late into the semi final when we out class either England or Australia.

Our RWC final against NZ is going to be made into a film about how it began the reunification between the north and the republic with Morgan Freeman playing Enda Kenny.

Believe.

You're welcome back any time...

Interesting to see Lambie getting a lot of praise for his performance for South Africa against Argentina at the weekend. 100% on his kicks at goal too. May be enough to put him ahead of Pollard as starting #10.

Kirchner apparently also did well. Never going to start ahead of Le Roux but good to see an Irish based player do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Finally managed to get around to watching the England match. The coverage from Sky was a bit of a circlejerk over Burgess...yuk

• Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Do the southern hemp teams have a slight advantage because the world cup is nearer the end of there season while it's the start of the northern hemp season. Maybe that's why only 1 north hemp team has won ever won it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do the southern hemp teams have a slight advantage because the world cup is nearer the end of there season while it's the start of the northern hemp season. Maybe that's why only 1 north hemp team has won ever won it

I dunno, we have warm ups to compensate. Generally the teams who have won it are just the best teams.

aimee1 wrote: »

Yeah, they used it at the weekend for the France v England match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

.ak wrote: »
    I dunno, we have warm ups to compensate. Generally the teams who have won it are just the best teams.

I think thats generally because they (SH) are the best teams!
    It should really help Argentina this time around. They have a really impressive pack. Loads of depth in the 2nd row and back row. And allot of really young lads. The two lads in the 2nd row v the Boks in Durban were aroud 21 yr of age. Playing Aus, SA and NZ will only be a benefit to them come WC.
    If we manage to beat France we will have an absolute bloody battle on our hands to get past the Argies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

"The technology works by recording all broadcast angles in real time and making the footage available immediately to help officials, medical staff and coaches."

Sounds the same as what we have right now?

"The technology works by recording all broadcast angles in real time and making the footage available immediately to help officials, medical staff and coaches."

Sounds the same as what we have right now?

That's what I thought last week when they said they'd be using it at Twickenham on Saturday. I didn't notice them using it during the match though. Maybe right at the start when they had to check if France had grounded the ball, it looked like they used a zoom on the regular camera angle. They said something about split screen shots, like if they're checking if the ball was grounded before a players foot was in touch they can look at both at the same time.

Tonga have named their squad, well, 30 of them. There's one more to be added.

Forwards:

Tevita Mailau (Perpignan), Alisona Taumalolo (Grenoble), Soane Tonga'uiha (Oyonnax), Halani Aulika (London Irish), Sila Puafisi (Gloucester), Elvis Taione (Exeter Chiefs), Paula Ngauamo (Mont de Marson), Aleki Lutui (Ampthill RFC), Tukulua Lokotui (Beziers), Joeseph Tiuneau (Dax), Steve Mafi (Western Force), Opeti Fonua (Leicester Tigers), Hala T-Pole (Otago), Nili Latu (Newcastle Falcons), Jack Ram (Auckland Blues), Viliami Ma'afu (Oyonnax), Sione Kalamafoni (Gloucester)

Backs:

Sonatane Takulua (Newcastle Falcons), Samisoni Fisilau (Jersey RFC), Sosefo Ma'ake (Havelu Bulldogs), Kurt Morath (Biarritz), Latiume Fosita (Doncaster), Sione Piukala (Perpignan), Siale Piutau (Yamaha), Viliami Tahitu'a (Northland), Fetu'u Vainikolo (Oyonnax), Telusa Veainu (Melbourne Rebels), Tevita Halaifonua (Gloucester), William Helu (Edinburgh), Vungakoto Lilo (Montauban)

Scotland squad to play Italy this weekend.

9 changes in the forwards. Few more recognisable names there.
    CMsEW2OWcAEG93w.jpg

Only 2 changes in the backs. Interestingly both uncapped players.
    CMsEkEwWwAAuOCp.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JOHN HARDIE!!!!

:D

edit: so is sean maitland going to miss due to his shoulder injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'm disgusted they've picked Hardie. First cap for WP Nel too, but I'm OK with that.

Pyrgos and Hidalgo-Clyne again, is Laidlaw injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's what I thought last week when they said they'd be using it at Twickenham on Saturday. I didn't notice them using it during the match though. Maybe right at the start when they had to check if France had grounded the ball, it looked like they used a zoom on the regular camera angle. They said something about split screen shots, like if they're checking if the ball was grounded before a players foot was in touch they can look at both at the same time.

Hawk-Eye isn't generally about providing extra video angles - what it normally does is use a series of exceptionally high quality cameras around the stadium to very accurately calculate the exact location of the ball. However, it looks like they'll be taking advantage of the extra frame rate and resolution in the Hawk-Eye cameras for the TMO to do their thing too. Hopefully this will put an end to those endless 5 minute decisions.

Not too far off full strength for England for their second match.

CMtAQhlU8AA-Z2d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm disgusted they've picked Hardie. First cap for WP Nel too, but I'm OK with that.

Pyrgos and Hidalgo-Clyne again, is Laidlaw injured?

Better not read this then: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_71463,00.html

• Advertisement

saw a facebook post that says one of japans locks wrecked his knee in a warm up game

Advertisement