Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

Cissus striata, runners can be a bit of a nuisance alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Cissus striata, runners can be a bit of a nuisance alright.

Super, thanks. Surprised to see you can buy them, they’re spreading throughout the garden so much - maybe I can make a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Noob gardener. New house, huge landscaped gardens that was not tended for over 7/8 years. My time is spent removing ivy and weeds. In one ivy filled flower bed there are some thorny things. Not entirely sure if these are roses or just briars. Any way of telling other than waiting for flowers or blackberries? Should I just post a pic here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

diabhail wrote: »
    Noob gardener. New house, huge landscaped gardens that was not tended for over 7/8 years. My time is spent removing ivy and weeds. In one ivy filled flower bed there are some thorny things. Not entirely sure if these are roses or just briars. Any way of telling other than waiting for flowers or blackberries? Should I just post a pic here?

Post a pic and someone here will be able to give you a (very) precise ID on it unless it's something very exotic

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

Hi this is growing strongly in newely reseeded grass - any idea what weed it is?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Hi this is growing strongly in newely reseeded grass - any idea what weed it is?

Nipplewort? Have a pile of it around the place here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

I find it easier to identify plants when they are pictured alive. Is it fat hen (Chenopodium album)?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can somebody please tell me what this is? I can't decide if it's an aubergine, a nightshade, or something else, and it's bugging me because I know I should know it and I think I may start mistaking people for hats, if I keep going at this rate. I'll attach a pic in a sec.

518668.jpg

518669.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Eat the berries and let us know :D

Fairly sure its a nightshade but not exactly which one. Its not deadly nightshade which is a different family.

Best guess is Solanum nigrum.

Edit> some decent pics here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:rolleyes:

Someone once told me that if a venomous snake were to bite me, the snake would die, so I guess I wouldn't even notice some nightshade. :D

• Advertisement

macraignil wrote: »
    I find it easier to identify plants when they are pictured alive. Is it fat hen (Chenopodium album)?

Yes. Fat Hen

Yes. Fat Hen

okay so 2 think its Fat Hen, is this common to have weeds like this - maybe containimated greed seed in a new lawn?

okay so 2 think its Fat Hen, is this common to have weeds like this - maybe containimated greed seed in a new lawn?

Very very common. It grows very quickly and produces loads of seeds. Plants can get very large, often its the only reason I've bothered cutting new seeded areas.

Its an annual and will be gone by the second or third cut.

it grows like mad, this was only reseeded back in May

it grows like mad, this was only reseeded back in May

Start looking at Willow Weed ,Persicaria maculosa, Polygonum persicaria, all the same thing and I'n not sure exactly which is the current latin name.

Its the blotch on the leaf thats a bit of a give away. May not be Willow Weed but I'm fairly sure its the right family.

Edit> To check it good ID page here aka Ladies Thumb.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Start looking at Willow Weed ,Persicaria maculosa, Polygonum persicaria, all the same thing and I'n not sure exactly which is the current latin name.

Its the blotch on the leaf thats a bit of a give away. May not be Willow Weed but I'm fairly sure its the right family.

Edit> To check it good ID page here aka Ladies Thumb.

Persicaria maculosa is the current botanical name. Redshank is what I call it.

Persicaria maculosa is the current botanical name. Redshank is what I call it.

I should have spotted it was redshank but its growing so well on the OP's pictures it didn't register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi. Looking for an ID please. I need to know if it's poisonous for my cat.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi. Looking for an ID please. I need to know if it's poisonous for my cat.

Thanks.

Common day lily. Why would your cat eat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Xcellor wrote: »

He'd brush off it and then ingest the pollen when cleaning

• Advertisement

Funnily enough all parts of a daylily are edible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

He'd brush off it and then ingest the pollen when cleaning

Hemerocattis

Like rebelbuttmunch said it's the pollen of the lilies that can be lethal to cats, not necessarily the whole of the plant. If they rub against it and clean themselves they can ingest it. It messes up their kidneys big time. I don't know if that's valid for every variety of lily or not, though. Maybe ask your vet, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

New Home wrote: »
    Like rebelbuttmunch said it's the pollen of the lilies that can be lethal to cats, not necessarily the whole of the plant. If they rub against it and clean themselves they can ingest it. It messes up their kidneys big time. I don't know if that's valid for every variety of lily or not, though. Maybe ask your vet, just to be sure.
    Yes I have come across this, seems to be the pollen that is lethal to cats, but I have lots of lilies and a cat and so far no problem, cats don't seem to have any interest in lilies, but as you say if they rub up to one and then lick their fur!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tell me I'm not training two weeds :). Planted a mixed lot of seeds - broccoli, carrots and onions. Can't work out what this is - two of them flourishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not sure what your seedling is, but you really don't need slug pellets in heaps! A very thin sprinkle if you are going to use them.

looksee wrote: »
    Not sure what your seedling is, but you really don't need slug pellets in heaps! A very thin sprinkle if you are going to use them.

Yeah maybe an over reaction:) . I planted four runner bean plants, lost two to slugs. Ate all the leaves and killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

neither carrot nor onion.
    I haven't clue what broccoli looks like LOL

Looks a bit like a sunflower to me.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Looks a bit like a sunflower to me.

Yes I downloaded an app that suggested this. I'm 100% sure it's not though. I hardened these off inside so no chance of it being a stray seed

Advertisement