Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to grow over garden arch

Options
  • 29-04-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Hey all looking for inspiration as what to plant over this. The lockdown has me recycling like mad . Thats a cattle round bale feeder on its side. Was thinking Rose's but they would create no winter interest. Love to get your ideas

20200429-172743.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Passiflora? Again, probably not too many leaves in winter, but stunning flowers when in full bloom, and attractive fruits (some varieties are edible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Evergreen clematis such as Apple Blossom?
    Great idea by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

That arch is lovely. Moongateesque. Is it literally just a cattle feeder on its side or are there some modifications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I was looking for a moongate. Any I found are mad money. Found this in a agri supply by chance before the lockdown madness. No modifications just took the metal sheeting of it

20200423-111508.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Great idea! I wouldn’t worry at all about it changing to looking bare in winter. Seasonality is what it’s all about in gardening, in winter you see the bones. I would maybe paint it black or dark brown to conceal the agricultural origin, but otherwise show off its bones as it’s a great structural shape!

I like wisteria on an arch, and I have seen people train laburnum trees over arches too with a similar effect, but not sure on a moongate. The moongate is a Japanese garden feature, they typically focus more on foliage and plant shape than flowers.
    What height is it, do you want flowers, or would that get in the way?

What I find with a lot of climbers is they get top heavy once they are at the tallest part too, spoiling the clean shape maybe.

Could go with something green and lush... the Hop. (Yes, the one for beer). Humulus lupulus “golden tassels” is a nice garden dwarf one, stick one at each side. Or just the regular female hop sold to beer makers is gorgeous in a sunny spot. Lovely fresh green growth every year.
    https://pin.it/3MsFuKF

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feed back folks. I am planning on painting it, just cant get galvanize paint at the moment. Hops sounds very interesting. I might try that this year and see how it works out. If I can find it :) was thinking pyracantha too. But that would be a longer wait. Maybe something faster growning this year could be worth a try.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The only issue I'd have with hops is that the stems can have a tiny bit of a fuzz/barb and if you rub against them they can be itchy/leave a mark, depending on how you react to them. On the other hand, the young shoots are delicious to eat. :)

Grapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

That's a really lovely idea...well done! Recycling at it's best.
    I love Wisteria or Honeysuckle
    Have you secured it to the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Rose for summer interest
    Some sort of focal point in distant that you see through the arch for winter interest'- maybe a smallish tree fern/statue with a spotlight
    Spring interest mix of bulbs around base
    Just thoughts......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wisteria would be glorious but you would have a long wait for it to flower.
    Honeysuckle would be lovely, get an evergreen one. Most structures are not strong enough to support honeysuckle but that should be great!
    Clematis montana is also a bit rampant for many situations, but that would support it fine. Its a bit naked in winter. A mix of clematis including evergreen plus early and late flowering ones would all grow together and give you interest for a good part of the year.
    Passiflora might depend a bit on where you are, they do best in the south in a sunny spot. Again a bit bare in winter, but very vigorous and interesting and the buds can hang on well into the autumn.
    I love the idea of hops, I have never grown them but they are appealing.
    A mix of roses and evergreen clematis could be lovely.
    Sweet peas, while you consider the options?

Heads off to check out cattle feeders...

rje66 wrote: »
    Rose for summer interest
    Some sort of focal point in distant that you see through the arch for winter interest'- maybe a smallish tree fern/statue with a spotlight
    Spring interest mix of bulbs around base
    Just thoughts......

I like your idea. It frames a weeping cherry at the moment. But I could set up a "staging area" behind the arch and put a plant in a pot for each season. :)

looksee wrote: »
    Sweet peas, while you consider the options?

Heads off to check out cattle feeders...

Actually have a load of sweet pea growing. They might get first go on the "climbing frame"
    :)

Actually have a load of sweet pea growing. They might get first go on the "climbing frame"
    :)

Dig out a decent trench and put in some good soil and a bit of manure/feed of some sort, sweet peas will riot up there! Did something similar a couple of years ago and it was spectacular.

Looked at cattle feeders. Hmm. Seems you would need to be able to take your tractor and trailer to pick one up, then need a cutter to take off the metal sheet - and dispose of it. Goes back to drawing board! (It did give me food for thought though)

It comes in two pieces. Will easily fit in a transit van. The metal sheeting screws off. Fyi :)

It comes in two pieces. Will easily fit in a transit van. The metal sheeting screws off. Fyi :)

That's helpful, thank you!

Hi reckless hows the arch looking now? Do any more to it. Thinking of purchasing one myself

Hey .
    I trained a large viburnum kilimanjaro up one side of it which looked amazing for a few weeks may (see attached) then we had 2 days of very strong wind which made a mess of it which I'm really disappointed about. I've sweet pea growing up the other side which is only ok. I'm loving the arch but need to rethink what I will climb up it.
    Might go with hornbeam.

Don't despair of the viburnum. They are grown in sheltered conditions and then when you put them out in the garden its a gamble.

If they have a few months (if they are in full leaf) of calm weather they could be fine, but they are not able for the kind of wind and weather we have had on and off recently. I have a cornus that I put in, beautiful plant but I could see it was 'tender grown'. Right enough the couple of very windy spells have knocked it about rather sadly. But next year it will grow sturdy and be fine, its just a gamble on the weather.

And another good reason why we should plant stuff in the winter. But where is the fun in that :D

I rather fancy that kilimanjaro myself, I might have to have one of them - when I have planted the nursery of stuff waiting for my attention!

Hey .
    I trained a large viburnum kilimanjaro up one side of it which looked amazing for a few weeks may (see attached) then we had 2 days of very strong wind which made a mess of it which I'm really disappointed about. I've sweet pea growing up the other side which is only ok. I'm loving the arch but need to rethink what I will climb up it.
    Might go with hornbeam.

Looking good mate. Looks like you painted it too? Elements have been against you. Some ridiculous winds of late. The viburnum will eventually withstand it, just needs a few seasons to beef up. The sweet peas woukd need a more sheltered setting I guess. Looks great though. I must purchase

• Advertisement

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a nursery of stuff to plant :). Your probably right about it having a sheltered life before me. It looked so well when first planted . I'm struggling not to give it another season and see how it goes.

Looking good mate. Looks like you painted it too? Elements have been against you. Some ridiculous winds of late. The viburnum will eventually withstand it, just needs a few seasons to beef up. The sweet peas woukd need a more sheltered setting I guess. Looks great though. I must purchase

Yeah painted it. Could only get a grey paint for lockdown restrictions etc. ( You need a special paint for galvanized metal) if you do get one I've loads of paint left, your more than welcome to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭standardg60

Hey .
    Might go with hornbeam.

Hornbeam? It's crying out for a rosa 'Kiftsgate' or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Had an arch frame with a passion flower which always looked great. Until the wooden frame rotted

Hornbeam? It's crying out for a rosa 'Kiftsgate' or similar.

Originally had thought Rose's. But it could look a bit to "wedding archy" for my liking. the garden has a more Japanese theme going on (not to strictly)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Looks great and is a great idea OP!

Going back to a previous question, how is it secured to the ground?
    Its probably not an issue now, but when those climbers take over you have a large sail and it could be dangerous!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Looks great and is a great idea OP!

Going back to a previous question, how is it secured to the ground?
    Its probably not an issue now, but when those climbers take over you have a large sail and it could be dangerous!

I used 8mm threaded bar bent into a u shape. Dug a hole put the u shape into it and put old patio slabs and concrete on top. This left about 6 inches of bar above the ground. The frame came with pre drilled wholes which I bent the bar into and put bolts on. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Thanks for all the feed back folks. I am planning on painting it, just cant get galvanize paint at the moment. Hops sounds very interesting. I might try that this year and see how it works out. If I can find it :) was thinking pyracantha too. But that would be a longer wait. Maybe something faster growning this year could be worth a try.
    If you were thinking of painting it in outdoor gloss paint you will eed to use an etching primer, so that the zinc does not reject the paint. The nice man in the paint shop will help.

I've dug up this thread before and doing so again apologies.. going to push on and follow suit of op. Just wondering if following link is same size and product as your own
    https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Fox-Brothers-Galvanised-Circular-Feeder-20-Space/B9002432?refSrc=9002433&nosto=productpage-nosto-2-mobile
    Thanks in advance. Hope link works

• Advertisement

I've dug up this thread before and doing so again apologies.. going to push on and follow suit of op. Just wondering if following link is same size and product as your own
    https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Fox-Brothers-Galvanised-Circular-Feeder-20-Space/B9002432?refSrc=9002433&nosto=productpage-nosto-2-mobile
    Thanks in advance. Hope link works

Hey. It certainly looks to be the same as mine. They are a fairly standard size.. best of luck with it

Advertisement